U

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

Sunday, April 30th, 2023 6:56 PM

Closed

terrible experience with technician visit

​These days it seems like there are a lot of sub-par performances by Comcast employees but today that reached a new low.​

​I have been experiencing random V53 & V58 errors on my three DVRs on various channels over the last few months. I went through the standard diagnostic & troubleshooting measures (refresh, reactivate cable cards, upgrade ancient cable cards to the latest models, and had a amplifier installed by a Comcast tech six months ago per his suggestion). The problem still persists and while monitoring diagnostic values I noticed that the Signal strength remains at approx. 98-100% but the SNR has been increasing. I mentioned the error codes to an employee at my local Xfinity store and he said it is excessive noise on the line and scheduled a technician appointment. The tech arrived two hours early without an updated schedule change notification or a pre-arrival notification, I asked him if he was informed of the issue and he said no. I mentioned the errors and gave him some back ground on the issue and he remotely checked the diagnostics on my cable modem and said it looks good. I told him the problem is with the TV reception and he said "[Edited: "Language"]" and he walked back to his van and left.​

​WOW​

[Edited: "Inflammatory"]

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

1 year ago

@user_cce58e We are terribly sorry to hear that this was your experience recently and we want to make this right by you as well as gather more details about the employee interaction. Please send us a direct message here with your full name and service address. This will help us pull up visit details and help with your service as well. 

To send a direct message: 

• Make sure you are signed in here in the Xfinity Forum. Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message" icon (square chat icon in the upper right corner of your screen next to the bell icon)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send it

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.6K Messages

1 year ago

... random V53 & V58 errors on my three DVRs ...

V53 means poor signal quality. V58 is an authorization error that can also be caused by poor signal quality. These Tivo installation and troubleshooting articles may help, although what you really need is a civil premise tech who knows what they are doing:

CableCARD Installation
    CableCARD Troubleshooting
    Troubleshooting Digital TV Signals

Note that Comcast's "Self-Install" page (cablecardactivation.xsp.comcast.net) is no longer accessible to customers.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

1 year ago

Hi BruceW,

I appreciate your time and advice on this matter. I have been a Comcast & TiVo customer for almost twenty years at this address. When Comcast transitioned to encrypted digital signal I upgraded my three TiVos to models that support the required Cable cards. I went through some teething pains with V53 & V58 errors but after a few support calls and tech visits the issues where resolved. The service at my address was relatively error free for a few years then errors started occurring again after contractors upgraded the underground trunk lines to fiber. After a few more rounds of support calls and tech visits it was determined that equipment in the pedestal was not secured properly to the rack and the connections were loose. Additionally the underground drop halfway from the pedestal to my demarc had been spliced together by twisting the conductors and covering with electrical tape! Comcast techs have been good at resolving issues in the past using their test equipment and checking signal quality and performing ingress & egress test. As you stated in your comment that what I need is a tech who knows what they are doing to check the signal quality because I am seeing increasing SNR dB. In the past there was equipment failing upstream that needed to be replaced and that resolved the issue. The "tech" that arrived yesterday didn't check the pedestal or anything.

Maybe I'll have better luck with the next tech. An official employee wants me too DM them, hopefully they can help.

Thanks,

Steve

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here