U

1 Message

Tuesday, August 27th, 2024 6:55 PM

Oregon Ducks Blackout

I only have cable for certain things and love sports is that certain thing. If the Oregon Ducks football game is blacked out on the Big Ten Network in my area this weekend I will get a new provider immediately. I imagine many will feel the same.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

18 days ago

Hello, @user_za7oaj. Thanks for reaching our team regarding the Oregon Ducks games. Xfinity is your home for the most live sports, giving you access to the sports you love when and where you want. As an Xfinity TV customer, you can enjoy more sports your way – live in HD on your TV, streaming online and even through Xfinity On Demand.

It's important to remember, however, that sometimes sports can be subject to blackout restrictions. A blackout is when sports teams and leagues (or schools and conferences) prohibit certain games from being seen on certain channels due to ticket sales or games being carried on other channels. To learn more about how blackout restrictions affect your favorite sport, please see the information below.

College sports

In recent years, specific schools and college conferences have established their own networks (e.g., Big 10 Network (BTN) and the Southeastern Conference's SEC Network). The University of Texas and the University of Notre Dame also have established their own unique television presence on the Longhorn Network and NBC/NBCSN, respectively. The three conference networks experience a logjam of football games on certain Saturdays, and may require an overflow channel in order to accommodate simultaneous live games.

More about finding your favorite sports games and teams

• Overflow Channels – In many larger markets, the number of games being played at the same time frequently exceeds the number of available channels/networks. When this occurs, the second (or third) simultaneous game will be televised on a part-time, extra channel.
  • To find out what channel a particular game is going to be on or when and where to catch coverage of your favorite team, we recommend that you check the local listings on your on-screen guide or visit team, league, school and conference websites for the most up-to-date information (weather and post-season scheduling can change frequently). Or you can simply say “Sports” into your Xfinity Voice Remote to go to the X1 Sports app

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

According to multiple news sources, the blackout is related to Comcast Xfinity being the only pay tv provider not accepting the Big10 expansion package.  I too am an upset Oregon Duck fan who had a watch party planned for Saturday's game.  I pay extra every month for the Sports and Entertainment package, have for years, now to find this out. There are thousands of Comcast customers who are fans of former Pac 12 teams they will not be able to watch due to this short-cited decision.  The only other current option I can find is Fubo tv, which has a high monthly subscription rate.  Comcast can fix this and they need to!  

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you for your feedback RJ273. Currently, we do not have the rights, to broadcast games airing on the Big 10 Network for the following teams:
University of California Los Angeles (UCLA)
University of Oregon (U of O)
University of Washington (UW)
University of Southern California (USC)
We appreciate your understanding and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Thanks for the reply Thomas.  I understand Comcast doesn't have the rights but that was Comcast choice.  It appears all other pay tv providers have agreed to the expansion package for the former Pac 12 teams.  There are thousands of Comcast customers who now can't watch games, while paying a lot of money for what we thought was that ability.  I personally spent almost an hour this morning texting with a Comcast CSR about the issue. It was reported in newspaper articles and I just saw it on a local TV news.  If even a small portion of upset fans drop their Comcast service, as many on this post are saying they will, the decision by Comcast not to show those games could play out to be an expensive mistake. 

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

You're very welcome, RJ273. Thank you for your feedback, for choosing Xfinity, and for joining us here on the Xfinity Forums. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityThomasA​  get the rights pronto

1 Message

18 days ago

I love how Xfinity's response is to place blame on the conferences, when in reality it's because Comcast wants more money to show the games. Comcast customers are paying $130+ for cable packages. This price doesn't even include the taxes and fees that WE AS THE CUSTOMERS are paying to be able to view these channels without disruption due to contract negotiations. Xfinity/Comcast stop interrupting the paying customers due to your greedy billion dollar deals. 

Official Employee

• 

809 Messages

user_1j118r thank you for using the Community forums to reach out. Apologies for the inconvenience, however currently we do not have the rights to display these particular games. You may be able to find alternative ways to view the games.

2 Messages

I just added the sports and entertainment package in order to watch the BTN. BTN is airing the game on Saturday at 430pm Pacific Time. There is no competing game that is causing them to not show the game. If Xfinity chooses not to air the channel I have paid for, then Xfinity is in breach of contract and I will cancel my subscription AND the internet service I just signed up for….forever.

1 Message

17 days ago

I too will cancel my xfinity account after more than 35 years if I can’t watch Duck Football 

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

user_zjdecj We currently do not have rights to broadcast games airing on BIG 10 Network for the University of Oregon. Most of the games for the Ducks may be available on other channels, networks, or streaming platforms. 

3 Messages

@user_zjdecj​ get ready boys it’s happening, I’m already looking into other services and will definitely be dropping Comcast after 30 years of service

1 Message

17 days ago

You know, I too just got the sport package. Finding out I don’t get Root station and can’t see the Mariners. Now I’m hearing I will not get the Ducks, what are you thinking xfinity. I too will be leaving this over priced cable adventure. I’m with the other guy who has to sports package. Breach of contract.

1 Message

17 days ago

Will I be able to watch the games later in the season that are on Fox or ESPN?

Official Employee

• 

809 Messages

user_db27xo thank you for using the Community Forums page. If the game is shown nationally on a channel you have access to you will still be able to view it.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

I too am getting so so tired of excuses from xfinity. They have some of the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced. They make every excuse they possibly can why Their inability to fix issues and they keep raising prices! If anyone Has found a better cable company, please

let us know because there will be thousands that will be excited to get rid of Xfinity

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

17 days ago

Defintiely with you on this one. How stupid can Xfinity be? This is the height of customer neglect.  We pay them thousands of dollars annually and they can't carry this one game and then solve their issues with BTN? How small and thoughtless is Xfinity?

1 Message

17 days ago

I also will be canceling if they don’t get this worked out.

1 Message

17 days ago

I, too will cancel my comcast for everything and switch to a provider who shows all of the Oregon Ducks games live.  This is inbelievable, and I just waited on line over half an hour to be told Xfinity does not have the rights to broadcast games from the 4 former PAC 12 teams.  That was your choice, Xfinity, and now I will exercise mine by finding a provider who broadcasts the Ducks games!  I pay hundreds of dollars a month, and for that you refuse to pay whatever it costs to broadcast the Ducks game?  No, I will cancel!

4 Messages

Yep. I am out.  All about money.  Cutting the cord on Monday.  Xfinity is going to lose thousands of customers over this.  

1 Message

17 days ago

A representative for Comcast said in a statement: “We’re sensitive to the impact these costs have on our customers and have been in discussions with Fox and the Big Ten Network to find a solution to make certain former Pac-12 games available to the people who want them while not forcing others to pay for content they don’t want to watch,”

That is a bunch of [Edited: Language]. I pay for way too much content with Xfinity that I will NEVER watch!  This just points out how long overdue it is for my household to cut the cord and teach my children how to live in a world without Xfinity/Comcast.

BTN spokesperson said in a statement. “As the one distribution partner that declined to expand along with us, Comcast Xfinity viewers in many areas will not have access to live broadcasts of the highly anticipated inaugural B1G season games for Oregon, UCLA, USC and Washington.”

Guess I need to find  a new "Distribution parnter" for my entertainment / sports viewing, internet, and mobile phone service, along with my small business phone and internet service as well. Once I have to get a streaming service to watch the first game of the season this weekend, you can be sure I will not be coming back to Xfinity.

(edited)

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

16 days ago

It has been nearly 1.5 years since it was announced these west coast schools were moving to the Big 10.  And we are just now hearing about this issue. Very poor customer service, Comcast.  As a 30-year Diamond level (whatever that means) customer,  forgot the meaningless "rewards" I never use and fix this.  I cringe every month when I pay my $300 Xfinity bill because it feels as if the services I am interested in are decreasing.  This situation proves that point.  I have opted not to cut the cord until now simply because of the hassle factor.  Unless this gets resolves, I'm out.

Official Employee

• 

2.5K Messages

@user_np3024 We appreciate your time in reaching out to us here on our Xfinity Forums. I definitely understand the frustration, @XfinityGabby provided some great information regarding the blackout dates. I understand you're also concerned about the billing and would be happy to help you review the account to see if we can help lower your billing. Just send us a message to Xfinity Support with your full name and address to get started. 

To send a direct message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
Click the "Direct Message" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
Click the "New message" (pen and paper) icon
The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.
As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.
An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window 
Press Enter to send it

(edited)

3 Messages

16 days ago

Our family after 30 years of dedicated subscription is moving to YouTube TV , not because I want to but because Xfinity is forcing us too. 

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Hello, @user_6ynph5 sorry to hear you have made this decision. If there is a chance we can retain our relationship with you could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? To send a direct message:

1. In the top right corner, you'll see a little chat icon near the bell icon. Click the direct message icon

2. Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

3. In the 'To' line, type "Xfinity Support" there. A drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list (an "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line)

4. Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

5. Press Enter to send it. An official employee, such as myself or whoever is first available, will respond. Thanks!

3 Messages

16 days ago

Xfinity: user_1j118r thank you for using the Community forums to reach out. Apologies for the inconvenience, however currently we do not have the rights to display these particular games. You may be able to find alternative ways to view the games.
ME: oh I will… you can bet on that and it starts with cutting the cord with you… it’s going to be liberating!!

1 Message

16 days ago

Ditto. If they choose not to air the game Saturday for the Oregon Ducks on a channel that I literally only added to watch this game I will be dropping all of my Xfinity services and [Edited: "Solicitation"]. How could possibly have fumbled this so badly. Only telling people a few days before the season starts that you are happy to take their money only to completely drop the ball on service. Everyone hates dealing with Comcast already with their automated phone tree and infuriating billing practices. If you add bad services to the list what is the point of continuing to use them. It’s not hard, fix this problem and people will stay. Don’t and you are going to have a mass exodus of subscribers on the west coast. 

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

15 days ago

Why is this problem not yet resolved I see I can not see anything related to Oregon sports teams on BIG10 network. I am paying monthly charge for the network. If this cannot be resolved I will another 30+ year customer looking for a new streaming/cable provider.

1 Message

14 days ago

Why is Comcast sooooo EDIT: language. Play the football games on big 10 network. Can’t wait to have other options. Comcast is EDIT: language, unreliable and just plain EDIT: language

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

809 Messages

user_1r9wb5 thank you for using the Community Forums page to reach out today. Specific networks are just like any other cable network in the fact that access to their channels is brought about through collective bargaining. Certain packages are available in certain tiers, or not, as a result of those agreements.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here