C

Saturday, May 25th, 2024 3:31 PM

NOW internet change default SSID

Hello, I ordered and received the modem, was able to get it set up and activated, but I need to change the default SSID to match what I had with my old service so that I dont have to reset everything in my house up. I also need to downgrade the security as I have an old printer that is not compatible with the newest WPA2. 

I was able to log into the gateway but all of the settings for Wifi are greyed out, cant be edited. Also from the Xfinity app when selecting Wifi details it just says to look on the side of the modem for the info. 

Please let me know if something can be edited on your end that will allow me to change this or if I need to place the modem into bridge mode and then install a wireless router that I can configure. 

Official Employee

• 

721 Messages

23 days ago

Hello, @coalminer999 thank you for taking time out of your day to create a post, you have contacted the right place for assistance to answer your questions about the modem/network settings. Now internet does run on the Xfinity network, so the modem does have some limitations with settings. https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfi-advanced-settings

It sounds like you already know how to access the Xfinity App to try and update on your own. Here is an article around enabling/disabling advanced security: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-xfinity-xfi-advanced-security. 

When your options to set up the network to your own liking, you correct with putting the modem in bridgemode and connecting your own router is the best option to go: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode. 

3 Messages

To be clear, I dont have an xfi gateway, and on my regular account at my other house I do have the options in the app to change the SSID and security. But I believe this is something that is specific to the way the NOW accounts are set up. 

This is what I see when trying to change the wifi settings:

Official Employee

• 

721 Messages

coalminer999 I appreciate the follow up, from what I've seen the Now internet does come with a modem. I'd like to check the information related to the Now account. When you have time can you send a direct message so I can review further. 

To send a direct message: 

Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message" icon in the upper right - it looks like a chat bubble  

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon just to the right of Conversations

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line - do not use the Employee's name!

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

To expedite your request, we ask that you please include your name, the account holder name (if different), and the service address

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Official Employee

• 

721 Messages

22 days ago

@coalminer999 I appreicate you sending the direct message, that way I can investigate the modem settings further. I'll follow up with you there to continue. 

Official Employee

• 

721 Messages

22 days ago

coalminer999 I appreciate your understanding while I was able to investigate further. I did want to confirm the modem that comes with Now internet does't allow access to customize network settings and security, even from our end. 

The only option available is to enable/disable bridgemode, which you can set up your own router to have more network control. If the bridgemode toggle option isn't available for you in the portal access, please let me know in direct message. 

3 Messages

The option to enable bridge mode was available, so that’s what I will do. I’m sure this question will be asked again so might want to add that to the FAQs so that anyone else who runs into this issue will know what to do. 

Official Employee

• 

641 Messages

coalminer999 We do appreciate your feedback, and will be here if you need any further assistance. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

@XfinityJustinC​ This is incorrect. You can customize the network with the NOW modem by accessing it at http://10.0.0.1 and logging in with the default username and password. 

Plenty of settings there including changing the SSID, wifi password, port forwarding, security, etc.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here