U

Sunday, September 22nd, 2024 12:39 AM

Newly purchased modem registered to another customer?

So this has been a whole thing leading up to this point. Basically I have frequent internet drops lasting anywhere from a couple of seconds to several minutes (that could be a whole other post) and in a last ditch troubleshooting effort, before a tech is visit next week, I purchased a new modem to replace an older Netgear CM500 that I also own.  From amazon I bought a Hitron CODA56 DOCSIS3.1 modem to support the 1.2gbps speeds I recently found out I was paying for.  Loaded up the xfinity app to activate the modem and it would not accept the MAC address.  I was connected to support via text where ultimately they tell me the modem is refurbished and currently registered to another customer, and advised that I return the modem, which I did.

Today I went to Best Buy and purchased and Arris S33 and the same story. Couldn't activate through the app, connected to support and after 30is minutes was disconnected.  Then I was connected to another person where I had to explain everything again, only to be told 30minutes later that the modem cannot be activated. When I asked if it was registered to another customer he said "yes, you should try contacting the manufacturer."  I explained to the gentleman that this same exact thing happened last week with a different modem, from a different manufacturer, purchased from a different business, and it must be an error on xfinity's part but I got literally nowhere with him.

Is this any sort of known issue? I don't know what to do at this point.  The support people are not very helpful and they constantly apologize in the course of normal conversation.

EDIT: Okay now this is getting ridiculous. They keep marking my replies as private. Nobody from xFinity has reached out to try and help resolve this issue. After giving them nearly a full year's wages (after taxes) in the time I have been a subscriber, this is how you treat your customers in the end.

Official Employee

• 

528 Messages

26 days ago

Good afternoon @user_dg8513. Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can look into what is going on with that equipment.

To send a "Direct Message" ("Private") message:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message chat" icon

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

4 Messages

So after several hours trying to fix this, and even more hours researching, it seems the only way to get this issue resolved is to blast xFinity on social media. I reached out on reddit yesterday morning and had the modem problem fixed by lunch.  Turns out those two modems I bought didn't actually belong to someone else. Who'd have though?

Totally shameful on xFinity's part. I'm convinced they make bringing your own modem so difficult so to discourage you from doing it.  I can only imagine older folks, like my parents in their 70s, attempting to do the same.  They'd have to give up, and end up just renting the modem like everyone else. Hint: if you buy your own, after one year you're saving money each month.  This isn't a bug in the system, its a feature. After giving you guys tens of thousands of dollars over the past couple of decades, only to find getting a competent customer service rep is nigh impossible, what little respect for the company I had left has flown out the window.

Official Employee

• 

598 Messages

I am glad to read one of our Digital Care teammates, who moderates these forums as well, was able to get your issue resolved through our subreddit. Don't hesitate to create a post on either platform seeking assistance! 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here