U

Wednesday, September 18th, 2024 1:27 AM

New Xfi gateway won't show online on app/website, cannot activate or configure wifi

Recently I got an email directing me to upgrade my Xfi gateway, advertising faster uploads. Said modem quickly arrived, all seems fine. I plug it in and within a few minutes it's providing service (and a single white LED). So far so good.

Except I can't configure wifi in the Xfinity app. It shows offline. So I go activate it by scanning the QR code on the bottom. This gives a nonspecific error ("Sorry, we're having some trouble - we'll have to identify your gateway another way"), as does manual entry ("The CM MAC number couldn't be identified"). Meanwhile, the gateway is set up with someone else's wifi network/pass. But at least I have ethernet.

A day or two later I open the old "My Account" app. This one's interesting - it shows the MAC and model for each device on my account, which apparently aren't visible anywhere else. Lo and behold, the new MAC doesn't match the one Comcast shipped me, so I get on the live chat to try and explain. Long story short, it soon became clear this wasn't a real person - and whatever the computer was doing it had no real comprehension of what I was trying say. Worse, the system got very confused and deleted the old equipment off my account before I was able to return it! The "AI" also changed my network/password but only on Comcast's side, not the modem (which it also tried to restart, to no avail).

Prodding the chat agent any further feels like an exceedingly poor idea, so I'm here asking for support to get this mess sorted out - the new gateway properly linked to my account, and the old one returned. I would  appreciate not having to make an entire day trip commute to the nearest retail location - just found out the one in my town closed several years ago, so this is more than a slight inconvenience and would delay things considerably.

Expert

• 

106.1K Messages

6 days ago

Concern moved here to the Customer Service help section for greater exposure to Comcast corporate employees (The Digital Care Team) for assistance.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

6 days ago

Hello @user_5ftkj0 Thank you for reaching out to us on our Xfinity Forums for help with this mismatch of equipment. I'm sorry that this process started off simple, but is ending with these added steps. I'm happy you can connect by ethernet at least for the time being. I would love to help out and get your network back to how it should be! If I can't correct it remotely I can send you a new modem and save you any day trips to the Xfinity store! 

Please send us a direct message with your name and service address. From there I can verify the account and work to correct the equipment and network settings for us!

@EG Thanks for moving the post to the right support area for us to help out! 

3 Messages

@XfinityPaula​ Hi, thanks for the quick response! Should I DM @Xfinity Support with this info? It looks like you have DMs turned off specifically - the compose field does accept other handles.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Please send us a direct chat message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send your message

Let me know if you have any questions.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

3 Messages

Yeah that's what I thought but wasn't sure - DM sent, thanks for clarifying.

Expert

• 

106.1K Messages

6 days ago

Quite welcome @XfinityPaula !

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here