U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, June 2nd, 2022 2:18 AM

Closed

New unknown Arris device connected to my home network! Help!

Hi there,

I got an email saying "A device connected to your home network for the first time" and I don't recognize the device. (I've included some relevant text from the email below.)

I've also included a screenshot of the device details from the app. It's an Arris device. I've since selected "forget this device" in the hopes that it would require the new password, if it ever tried to access my wifi again.

I'm worried it was an intruder. I changed my passwords, but is there any way to figure out who it was???

Thank you in advance for your consideration and help!

A device connected
to your home network
for the first time.

Details on the newly-connected device:

Name:   Arris Device
Brand:   ARRIS
Type:   GENERIC
Model:   Arris Device

Official Employee

• 

712 Messages

2 years ago

Hi @user_ce9420. We take security very serious here at Xfinity. This is am awesome feature with our Xfinity internet products that lets you see who connects. If you do not recognize the device, simply do not let them join and I would also recommend changing your WiFi password as an added security feature.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityBilly​ I got a message saying they connected. I did not let them connect. They connected without my permission.

Where is the feature where you can decide whether or not to let them join?

I’ve already changed my password, as I mentioned. Is there any way to figure out who it was and whether or not they had access to my devices while they were connected?

Problem Solver

• 

1.1K Messages

@user_ce9420 I am happy to hear you have changed your password. When the pop up showing "X joined your network" you can approve or deny it. There is no way to trace who it was, and they would not have access to any other connected devices, only the network itself. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

17 Messages

2 years ago

@user_ce9420 I received a similar email. These xfinity representatives did not target the correct issue. The issue is not whether or not you are protected from this supposed unknown device that connected to your home network. The issue is whether or not the email you received is legitimate in the first place. It's not. I just verified with xfinity. In other words, no one connected to your home network. The email itself though, being illegitimate, may have been an attempt to access your network if you were to click on any of the links in the email.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@user_91f566

As evidenced by the screenshots they posted, the device was showing up in their Xfinity app and therefore was actually connected to their gateway.

I just got the same thing today, but I got a notification from the app rather than an email.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Same. Just received a notification while I was asleep from the app.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here