dgtangman's profile

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

Thursday, December 30th, 2021 6:37 PM

Closed

How long does a plan upgrade take?

On Tuesday I upgraded my service plan from Fast (300 Mbps) to Super Fast (600 Mbps). Yesterday and today (Thursday) I've run the Ookla speed test, and I'm consistently seeing download speeds around 250 Mbps. I've restarted the modem several times. According to Comcast's modem capability page my Arris 6190 should be capable of supporting around 850 Mbps downloads. The computer running the test connects to the modem over a gigabit ethernet network, so WiFi problems are not a consideration. My question is, how long does it take for Comcast to implement service plan upgrades, and is there any way for me to determine whether or not I should be getting closer to 600 Mbps today?

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

618 Messages

3 years ago

Let's take a further look into this together in DM.

To send a direct message [private message]:

•    Click "Sign In" if necessary
  •    Click the "Direct Message" icon or https://comca.st/3pJzduZ
  •    Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  •    The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.
  •    - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.
  •    - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
  •    Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  •    Press Enter to send it

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

3 years ago

Just to close this out - The upgrade should generally take effect immediately, no significant delay. It took some work, with Xfinity support on DM, but I was finally able to determine that I was actually getting the expected speed at the modem. My old Netgear 802.11N router was the choke point. The moral of the story is that just because a router has gigabit Ethernet, that doesn't mean that it can route IP packets at gigabit speeds. I replaced the Netgear router with a newer ASUS 802.11AX router that I had been using as an auxiliary access point and now I'm seeing 450 Mbps at the PC.

Useful information I had to learn to discover what was going on: A modem that doesn't have a built-in router puts its Ethernet port(s) directly on the ISP's network. That is, it behaves as if you had a very long Ethernet cable plugged into a switch at the ISP's network hub. To connect a computer directly to the modem, the computer has to be set up to get its network configuration by DHCP, and the computer will then be directly connected to the Internet. This is, of course, a really bad idea and should only be done very briefly when absolutely necessary for diagnostic purposes, and if your computer doesn't run its own firewall, it would be best to fix that deficiency before connecting it directly to the modem.

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

3 years ago

I just went through the same situation ordering an upgrade from a 100 Mbps to 600 Mbps plan. My new Motorola MB8611 modem was already working at my old speed of 100 Mbps. I waited and waited 4 days for my new speed to show up but nothing happened.  On the website, when I went to My Account and looked at the Services | Internet box, the Manage Internet link was missing, replaced by "Waiting for service"(not sure).

I know enough about cable modems to know that the modem needed to be "reprovisioned" with a configuraton file to configure my modem for the new speed. I assumed Comcast would initiate this automatically. It shouldn't take that long. But the reprovisioning never happened. I started poking around the website to see if I could trigger the reprovisioning myself. I couldn't even reset my modem from the Comcast website. Note: This didn't make any sense. A fully functional DOCSIS modem gives the cable operator the ability reset, read status, and configure the modem. And my modem looked like it was working. I couldn't even read status of my modem. All I got from the Troubleshoot link was "We're having trouble finding a signal".

So I decided to try "Chat with Xfinity", a fully automated help program. When I told it my speed was too slow, the program detected a problem and asked if I wanted to reset my modem. With nothing to lose, I said yes, not expecting anything since none of the other "Reset my modem" links worked. But amazingly, my modem actually reset! The Chat program said the reset would take 12 to 15 minutes. Huh? I watched the lights on my modem and it took only about 3-4 minutes to resync all the carriers. I told the Chat program my reset was done but it told me to wait. It mentioned updating my configuration. What!?!? That is exactly what I wanted!! As soon as Chat told me my reset was done, I ran a speedtest. 610 Mbps!! Awesome. My modem was finally provisioned.

Bottom Line:

If after requesting a plan upgrade and not getting your speed upgraded, use CHAT WITH XFINITY and ask for a modem reset. It will reset your modem and get you provisioned properly.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here