U

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Wed, Dec 1, 2021 3:53 PM

Fake "Comcast technicians" calling

I received a call today from folks identifying themselves as "Comcast technicians". They were calling to check on supposedly "stopped" network system services. This seemed legitimate due to the major outage that occurred in my area on 11/29/2021. They were saying that as a result of the "stopped" networking services caused by a failed upgrade push to their routers, Comcast owed me a refund of $500.

So, there were quite a few anomalies that raised flags:

1) After installing an application that allowed remote control on my system, they executed a "full scan" by running a dir /s command, which was bogus. After the command completed, they miraculously determined several services had been "stopped" for three months. 

2) The method used to calculate the refund was ridiculous

3) They wanted to send me a "link" to transact the refund

4) They wanted me to log into my bank account to see if the refund was posted

After I called them on how foollish this was, I disconnected myself from the Internet, terminated the processes they had running, uninstalled the applications they installed, rebooted, and ran a full AV scan. On the negative side, they did get my email address, my cell phone #, and the name of the bank I use - unfortunate. Warn your customers!!

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

769 Messages

6 m ago

Hi, @user_ee7f3f. I am sorry to hear of the situation you ran into here. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I do recommend contacting your bank right away to make sure your information is secured. Did you provide your Comcast email or any information of ours? 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

6 m ago

Unfortunately, yes - my email address. However, I do have 2FA enabled.

Official Employee

• 

769 Messages

Just to make sure you're extra protected, I would change your password, and if you run into anything suspicious I would contact our customer security assurance team at 1-888-565-4329. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Okay, will do! Thanks.

Official Employee

• 

769 Messages

You are so welcome, stay safe out there. If you ever do get a call from someone stating they are us, you can always reach out here or call in to verify the situation at hand. We won't call you though and ask for bank information. Typically a call would be a follow up based on a recent conversation or based on a survey for future reference. We can always check the account though if there's ever a question about this. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here