U

Thursday, June 20th, 2024 2:07 PM

Devices not connecting to closest access point (Pod Gen2/Gateway)

I've seen several other posts with similar issues. How do I manually force a device to connect to the Pod? I've tried all the suggestions. Our Gateway is in the basement at one end of our ranch-style house and we installed the Pod upstairs in the hallway near bedrooms where WiFi signals were very weak. The problem is our Windows laptops won't connect to the Pod. Our tablets, smartphones, TVs, and smart thermostat all chose the Pod when it came online, but no matter what we try with the laptops, they always go back to the Gateway. I tried turning off WiFi on my laptop for awhile, but it still connected to the Gateway. So I tried again, but did Forget Device when it was off in the Xfinity app. When I turned it back on, the laptop got a connection again thru the Gateway despite me standing next to the Pod. So then I did it all again, but also did a Forget WiFI network on my Laptop. When I reconnected later, putting in our WiFi access password, the Laptop again connected thru the Gateway with horrible WiFi signal instead of the Pod that was right next to it. Due to the bad signal, I can't connect to some applications I need for work.

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

7 days ago

Hey there, @user_sey91e! Thanks for creating a post about your connectivity concerns. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you've had using some applications on your laptop that keeps connecting to the gateway instead of the WiFi Boost Pod. According to our FAQs, here, "In a WiFi mesh network, the best connection point for a device may not always be the one that's closest to it. Pods communicate with each other and the gateway to monitor the number of devices connected in the home, their location, and the type of WiFi connection that each device needs. This ensures that your device is operating with the best signal. Think of it the same way that your GPS directs you to an alternate route to get you to your destination faster when there's too much traffic on the main road."

It sounds like your laptop keeps connecting to the gateway based on other devices using the pod. I know you've attempted some troubleshooting already, which I definitely appreciate. To test this theory though, would you be willing/able to disconnect those devices currently using that particular pod and retry with the laptop to see if it then connects to the pod in question? If that works, it may be in your best interest to purchase an additional WiFi Boost Pod for the amount of devices you have in the home. Please let me know how it goes and if this helps!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here