BillFerg's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, March 14th, 2024 12:17 AM

Closed

Cgm4331

I own a cgm4331 gateway originally on the Cox network. Can I use this gateway on Comcast/xfinity?

Official Employee

• 

513 Messages

7 months ago

Hi there @BillFerg you can view a list of our approved modems here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/#unauth

Gold Problem Solver

• 

26K Messages

7 months ago

I own a cgm4331 gateway originally on the Cox network. Can I use this gateway on Comcast/xfinity?

Chances are Comcast will refuse to activate that device, and if they do, they may begin to charge their standard XB7 rental fee. The cable industry does not sell any of the device models that they rent at retail and typically consider such devices as stolen.

If you give this a try, please post how it turns out.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

26K Messages

7 months ago

@XfinityJoe wrote: "... you can view a list of our approved modems here ..."

True, but misleading. The "Devices" page lists approved devices available for retail purchase, but it does not list any of the Comcast rental gateway models. The rental devices are described at https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/broadband-gateways-userguides. The company typically refuses to activate customer supplied models of the devices that it offers for rental as they consider these "unreturned" or stolen equipment.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

1 Message

Thanks, BruceW.  I had doubts that Comcast would allow use of this device.  I picked it up in a thrift store for $8 and thought it might be worth a try.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here