U

Saturday, September 14th, 2024 4:11 PM

Can I just use the xfinity hotspots at home instead of a modem?

I ordered a gateway, which is not installed yet, but I noticed that my wifi at home is already excellent by just connecting to the xfinity hotspots around my house. Is it possible to just use the hotspots always and not even get a modem/gateway installed? (the gateway install would require drilling a new coax outlet into the wall)

Expert

• 

106K Messages

4 days ago

Concern moved here to the Customer Service help section for greater exposure to Comcast corporate employees (The Digital Care Team) for an answer.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

4 days ago

Hello @user_6xo7ck, thank you for taking the time to reach out on social media. You will need to install a modem to receive your internet connection. I'd be happy to check into the equipment on the account. 

To access your account, will you please send us a direct message with your full name and complete service address.

To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send your message

4 Messages

Thank you for your quick reply, I appreciate your help!

Just so that I understand: why do I need to install a modem if my internet connection works well with the hotspots? 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

user_6xo7ck You can connect to any Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspot available in the area or when on the go with your internet subscription, but if you have a residential account, the modem is required for the service to function properly. Do you have a residential account? Or was your intention to sign up for our Wi-Fi Now Pass service? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

4 Messages

I actually did not know about the Wifi NOW pass service, thank you for mentioning it.

I signed up for a residential account, but I didn't realize that it would require a coax cable outlet, which I don't have and I may not be allowed to install since I rent my appartement. So now I'm trying to figure out what the best alternative is. Since signing up for the residential account last week I have been able to log into the XFINITY wifi network at my home without any issues, even though the modem is not installed. That's why I wonder if I really need it, in case I'm not able to have a coax outlet installed. If I understand you correctly, it seems that that would be possible either through keeping my residential account as a login or changing my residential account to the NOW pass service?

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

user_6xo7ck If you don't have a coaxial outlet we have to send a technician to install it. Typically, there is an installation charge that will apply. But you have the option of signing up for Wi-Fi NOW Pass if you have a hotspot nearby that does not require a modem.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

4 Messages

Thank you, Dilary, that is indeed what I had planned, but I may not be allowed to have a cable installed as I am renting in my appartment, I do not own it. Good to know that the NOW Pass option exists! 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here