junk1962's profile

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, April 28th, 2022 11:44 AM

Closed

Cable Splitter

My alarm company requires a direct phone line and we have xfinity for phone - its an old system - they said xfinity should be able to put a splitter on…how do I go about requesting this?

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

2 years ago

Greetings, @junk1962! I hope your week has been treating you well. Thanks so much for taking a moment out of your busy day to leave a post on our community forum about your phone service. You have definitely come to the right place for assistance.

Can you tell me a little more about what you needed to do with the phone line or service? Did you need a splitter to send the phone signal from your modem to the security system, or did you need something else to be split?

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@XfinityJamesC​ I need a splitter to send the phone signal from the modem:)

Problem Solver

• 

497 Messages

Got it. You can get a splitter from one of our Xfinity stores. Do you know where the closest one is to you? 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@XfinityOtto​   I don’t think we know how to install one - is this something I could have Xfinity do?  The alarm company doesn’t do it - they will only attach to a splitter that is already there?

Problem Solver

• 

497 Messages

I may be able to get a tech out to install the splitter, but there will be a charge for that. I do not think you need a technician to do it though. The steps to do it are listed here: https://comca.st/37JJscF. Basically you just screw in the coaxial cable that is coming from the wall where it says "in" on the splitter, and then attach the wires from the "out" part of the splitter to what you need to connect it to. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

I need to split the telephone line….

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 years ago

My alarm company ... said xfinity should be able to put a splitter on ...

Do you need to split the coax line or the telephone line?

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

I believe it’s the telephone line? We have the triple play package with xfinity

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 years ago

I believe it’s the telephone line? ...

The Employee's response above appears to assume a coax splitter. It would be best to ask the alarm company exactly what it is they need.

It's odd that the alarm company doesn't want to handle this. Typically alarms systems have the ability to "seize" the phone line so that they can always make needed calls, even if the line is in use. That takes special equipment and a special hookup that the company usually provides.

But if what you need is a simple phone line splitter, I prefer the kind that have three jacks and connect with a separate cord, like https://www.amazon.com/Phone-Splitter-Telephone-Suitable-Machine/dp/B08RHY7RN8. These seem to be more reliable than the more common kind that have a plug molded into the body of the splitter.

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 years ago

@XfinityKimberlyB wrote: "... you will need a digital analog converter ..."

This is incorrect. Yes, your home phone service is digital VOIP between the gateway and Comcast's data center equipment, but the gateway in the customer's home converts between that digital signal and the analog POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) signals on the Tel 1 and Tel 2 phone jacks on that equipment. No additional converter is needed.

... you can pick up from Best Buy, Walmart, Fry's and maybe even Amazon.

An A/D converter from those sources is not needed, which is a good thing because they would not work.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here