U

Monday, October 14th, 2024 6:22 PM

Cable card and customer service nightmare

I have several Tivos with cable cards.  One cable card stopped working last week.  After the usual misery of trying to get a live person, they shipped me a new replacement card.  The Tivo is not recognizing the card has been inserted (I triple checked that it's seated properly, and I've done this before).  Try as I might, I cannot get a person to talk to me.  The instructions say to call the general number if the card doesn't work, but that just sends me to the USELESS assistant.  I finally convince it I needed more help, and it said "One of our repair agents will be better able to help you with this issue.  I'll have them contact you regarding this issue shortly."

I haven't received a call, of course.  I suspect they sent me a dead card, but there doesn't seem to be any way to get help from a human.

No wonder so many people are cutting the cord.  If I can't get help, I may have to do so myself, despite having been a customer for years.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

4 days ago

Thank you for connecting with us here in our community, @user_xh88ky, about the trouble with your CableCARD. We are sorry to hear your experience has not been the best. Did you reach out to 877-405-2298 and request CableCARD Activation? We look forward to your reply.

4 Messages

You can't activate a card that isn't recognized as being inserted...I did finally receive a call from a higher level tech, and he is sending another card to see if it works.

What shocked me was that according to him, in another ten days, Comcast/Xfinity will not send out any more cards, which means if one of the cards in one of our other Tivos fails, that Tivo becomes a doorstop.  No advance warning (at least nothing sent directly to me) about this from Comcast?  Another example of terrible customer service.  I guess I now need to figure out what options we'll have going forward.  Yes, I know we can get some streaming device from Comcast where we can save things to the cloud, but that's different than having an actual saved copy at home.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Thank you for reporting back to us @user_xh88ky, we appreciate it and are glad to hear that you were able to connect with one of our awesome higher level techs to get a new card sent out. Rest assured, we want to make sure that the new card resolves your issues. Would it be ok if we followed up with you in a few days to confirm you received it and that it is working properly?

That is correct that XFINITY will stop providing new CableCARDs to customers starting October 24th however, we will still be able to provide troubleshooting support to our current Cable Card customers. We apologize for any frustrations this causes and will be happy to forward your feedback. Feedback can also be provided directly on our website here https://www.xfinity.com/support/svp-contact-form. We would be happy to look into alternatives with you. Would you like us to go over some other TV viewing options? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

4 Messages

Not at the moment.  I can see that we can record shows through our Roku and the Xfinity app.  It says up to 150 hours, but I suspect that's at low resolution--I recorded one half hour show as a test, and it took up 3% of the capacity available.  That would mean for HD shows, an hour is 6%, and 90% would be only 15 hours--a tenth of what the website says.  Unless I'm missing something.  Also not clear whether you can record more than one show simultaneously without an Xfinity DVR.

I'm happy to post what happens once the new cards arrive.

One other thing--I never saw any warning that cards would no longer be available--did I somehow miss a warning email, or was nothing ever sent?  If I hadn't heard it from the tech today, I would never have known.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Correct @user_xh88ky, shows can be recorded with our awesome XFINITY Stream app. If you experience issues with your DVR storage, that is definitely something we can troubleshoot on our end. 

Great, we look forward to hearing from you once your new cards arrive so we can ensure they are working properly. 

Back in August customers with CableCARD-compatible devices received a bill message advising them that Xfinity will no longer provide new CableCARDs to both new and existing customers starting October 24. I apologize if the notification was missed and for any confusion or frustration that resulted. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

4 Messages

Yes, I see the notice now--in tiny print on the bottom of the second page of the bill...

Anyway, to my point about storage--I'm accessing Xfinity Stream through a Roku Ultra.  I've experimented with recording some shows, and it appears that rather than 150 hours of capacity in the cloud, there's only a tenth of that.  A half hour HD recording uses 3% of the capacity, according to the app, which would mean total capacity is only around 16 hours, not 150.  Is 150 hours only correct if you are using a Comcast DVR?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here