bk_leonard's profile

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 6th, 2021 7:24 PM

Closed

Adding a second router?

I built an ADU (office separate from our house). I ran ethernet cable to the office which works great. However, because I hard wire my computer to the ethernet I have no wifi (it's too far from the house, even with the wifi pods I bought). Question is, can I buy a 2nd router, plug it into the ethernet in my office and have wifi, in addition to hardwiring my computer into the ethernet?
Would this be on the same wife network as my home? And if so, could I create a mesh network for my yard, office and house?

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

3 years ago

Hello @bk_leonard, thank you for reaching out to help with your account and network configuration. We will be glad to go into this in more detail and explain how adding a separate router would work. 

When you using a Gateway, you have the built-in Wi-Fi adapter, as well as the modem itself providing the Ethernet connection and signal. You can add a separate router to this configuration, but the router would still need to be connected to the Gateway via Ethernet, and the Gateways internal Wi-Fi adapter would need to be disabled (Bridge Mode). This means the Wi-Fi signal would originate from the router in your office, and you would still have the Ethernet cord going from the modem to the router. 

If you are already using a Modem/router separately, and are thinking of adding another router into the mix. I have seen this done, but the connection isn't very stable. Essentially you would need one router connected to the modem via Ethernet, and a 2nd router also connected to the modem via Ethernet. Where the problem comes in, these devices are going to fight for the best signal, and potentially ruin the signal entirely.

Currently, our accounts only support one Modem/Gateway at a time. So if you were thinking of setting up a completely separate configuration in your office, sadly this would not be something that can be done. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here