B

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, January 13th, 2022 5:34 PM

Closed

Why has my bill increased out of nowhere?

There are several legitimate issues with these annual price increases that I've seen customers complaining about for quite a while, with no form of genuine response from Comcast to explain, justify, or generally show they care at all about their customers.

1) There is often no warning about these increases sent directly to the customer. I've seen Comcast reps claim that it's noted on the bill, or that an email is sent to the customers alerting them to the increase beforehand, but this is a paltry blip of warning for the level of price increase they drop on you. I don't even receive an email notification about upcoming increases in the Comcast-provided email system connected directly to my account, which would seem to be an obvious courtesy. The only way I have ever found out any real info about these increases is when I see them suddenly appear on my next bill, with absolutely zero context given for the increase on the bill itself. This is weak customer service.

2) As mentioned, the real-time online bill listings are wholly devoid of any contextual information that gives the customer a breakdown of what these additional fees are based upon. Again, this is not good customer service. If you don't want an even more negative reaction from your customers over another round of price increases, you should at least have the decency to append these new charges with a line item explaining what they are and why they are happening on the very same bill where they are first introduced.

3) From the outside information that, again, I had to gather for myself because Comcast doesn't seem to regard customers enough to address the issue directly, these increases are due in large part to broadcast TV and sports channels increasing the prices Comcast has to pay for their offerings. If this is the case, I take exception to the subsequent increase in service costs being distributed to ALL Comcast customers across the board--even internet-only subscribers who gain no benefit from these channels being on offer--rather than targeting the price increase to only affect customers who actually have subscriptions that include these price-hiked services (such as those who have cable bundles). As it is, you're effectively charging some customers for portions of services they're not even receiving!

Even if Comcast insists upon these regular price increases due to economical shifts that are genuinely out of their control, their handling of the process has ever been one of disregard to their customers. The above noted issues are simple things that could be easily improved upon, yet Comcast acts with the same dismissive behavior every time a price increase is introduced. This, more than the actual price hike itself, is enough to give existing customers reason to consider dropping their services altogether.

I want to have an even-minded view of all this. But an appropriately inclusive communication to your customers about these price increases has been in your court for a long time now, Comcast. Having a single, probably-tired-and-underpaid online service agent respond with apathetic non-answers--or worse yet, a chatbot--is just not cutting it.

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

2 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us here on our Xfinity Forums. I definitely understand the concern and frustration. The notice of an increase is on the bill the month prior to the increase. If there are changes to equipment or packages those are generally on the very last page of your billing statement. This link will help explain the various fees and taxes on your billing statement: https://comca.st/3zVUFAq.

I'm happy to help you locate where the notice of the increase was on your billing statement as well as see if you may be eligible for new promotional offers. Please send us a direct message to "Xfinity Support" with your full name and address to get started.

To send a direct message you may need to:
Click "Sign In"
Click the "direct message" icon
Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

I appreciate the response (though it rather matches with the point I made), but this does not address the other items I mentioned. It makes little sense to increase prices for literally every customer group in turn, even customers who gain no benefit from the broadcast services that have had their founding costs raised. And better advance communication about increases, along with more contextual online billing information have been sorely lacking for a while now. Without these considerations, regular across-the-board price hikes (especially at the notable amount increased each time) feel more like a ploy to see how much Comcast can get every customer to pay rather than a fair and balanced defraying of shifting economical concerns.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

We truly value your feedback and I understand where you are coming from. No one in my home watches sports or the network channels, we pretty much stick to movies and kids shows. Those fees are included because the channels are included with your package. Many of the questions you asked can be explained in the link I provided. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

I have no channels included in my package. I have an internet-only subscription. Thus, the billing increases due to broadcast network price increases is irrelevant to the services I'm receiving. This is why I said it appears as if Comcast is spreading increases evenly to all customers whether or not they are even receiving the services those cost increases are primarily based upon. These increases should only be applied to the customers who are actually receiving the items the cost increases are associated with.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

If you have just internet services, however are seeing Broadcast TV fees or Regional Sports fees, I'd like to get a closer look at your account because that shouldn't be the case. Please send us a DM with your full name and address to get stated. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

The price increase listed on my bill has no direct notations explaining what it is for. It's a generic increase of $3. If I go searching for a PDF in my billing history, there is a mention on one of the last couple of pages about general price increases in January, but little explanatory breakdown of why these are affecting my internet-only service. Upon Googling the matter, as I mentioned in my previous post, I come upon many recently dated news items explaining that Comcast is increasing prices across the board due to increased costs they are incurring for *broadcast TV channels,* and sports networks. Why this should affect my internet-only bill isn't really being explained in any release or commentary from Comcast that I have yet to see, especially not via anything as up front as, say, a newsletter sent directly to customers explaining it.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

I would definitely need to be able to access your account in order to better assist you. It's important to me that your bill is accurate and if there is an issue I'd like to address it. Please send us a direct message to "Xfinity Support".

To send a direct message you may need to:
Click "Sign In"
Click the "direct message" icon
Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
Press Enter to send it

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

As of Feb 1 I was promised my bill would stay where it was after agreeing to on billing, now it has gone up another 10.  after they promised it would stay the same.

Something has to be done here, or go to dish.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

My monthly internet cost went up $13 in the past month. I would like an explanation as to why. Seems to be a consistent trend ever since I started using Comcast 16 years ago. Quietly jacking up the fees with no notice to squeeze money out of customers. Sends the wrong message. Don't take care of customers until you threaten to cancel services. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

This thread is a perfect example of Comcast's poor customer service and lack of transparency. They cannot or refuse to answer your concise questions. I googled it also to get answers and have the same complaints. Why should I have to pay for the increase of costs for services I don't use. I have internet only. I don't watch sports or Fox News. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Yep, I've had the same issue with a price increase. Don't have TV, only have internet. It's incredibly frustrating because it seems like a simple ploy for them to generate more money for users who have autopay / don't look at their monthly bill in depth. I spoke with a customer service representative and they immediately offered me a credit on my bill to basically offset the increases for the next 6 months. This horrible transparency is just another reason why when my 12-month promotional contract is up that I'll be switching to another service. Fortunately for me, Xfinity isn't the only service in my area and there are other competitors that actually offer a better service than Xfinity for a fraction of the cost of what I'm paying now.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@bwcool​ How did you get them to offer you credit? They did not offer that to me.

Problem Solver

• 

909 Messages

Due to the age of this conversation, it is being closed. However, if you have any billing concerns, we'd love to review with you! Please create a new thread/post of your own, so we may further assist. Thank you! 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

My bill just went up 17.00!!!!!!! I can't believe this. I call and get the explanation that my "promotion" ended. Their idea of a promotion is so you can be jacked up later on down the road to justify and increase and for what???? My internet speed hasn't increased. I can't have Basic because I need Weather Channel. It just so happens they inconveniently keep it out of Basic so you're forced to take the next level. I don't watch sports yet I have to pay a sports fee. Their equipment is throwaway yet I have to pay for boxes each month. For all the years I am with Comcast, I have paid for these pieces of plastic 10 fold. God forbid you break down, you have to pay them to come out to fix their own equipment. I HATE COMCAST. Their customer service stinks. You have go thru 500 prompts before you get to a live person that doubles for Retention that still can't do anything but blah blah blah and if you ask for a Supervisor, you get another ZERO that can't do anything but apologize that they can't do anything...WTF???? They know they have you over a barrel and so patronizing. They have NO loyalty programs. It's regurgitating. Maybe AT&T isn't so bad after all

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I had the same issue here, mine went up $20. The solutions built here are really made for you to go on a wild goose chase so that they do not have to explain their charges. The service is mediocre, but it's all that my building offers. It feels exhausting anti-customer and anti-competitive. Spent 40 mins speaking with someone to get nowhere. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here