U

Friday, May 10th, 2024 4:37 PM

Closed

Trying to cancel phone service. Suspicious questions

I called to get my Xfinity Voice removed from my services. The technician said he could reduce my bill to $103.43 and get me a free iPad, after paying a tax of $49.99. I asked how much would it be if he lowered my speed to 800 mbps (from 1000 mbps). He came back and said he got me another deal where I could keep the 1000 mbps, get the free iPad, and only pay $83.40 per month. I thought this was OK. He asked for my Social Security number and date of birth. I felt a little funny giving him this, but I went ahead. He then said that my credit check was locked (which it was), I told him I would unfreeze it if he told me the credit service they are using. He said I wouldn't have to do this if I gave him the social security number of a family member. Alarm bells went off, and I told him there was no way I'm giving him that info. He said OK, they're using Equifax. I unfroze the credit check, and he was able to get in and verify my credit. Then he wanted me to pay the $49.99 tax fee (I assume for the retail price of the iPad?) by using a credit card. I asked him to have Xfinity add it to my bill, and he said he could not do that. I kinda freaked out and told him to forget the whole thing, then hung up. Is this normal? Why would he ask for a family member's ss number, and why can't Xfinity bill me for the iPad tax?

Official Solution

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

23 days ago

Thanks for working with our team to get your package just right, @user_kj9u06! Our team can help with it all and are here 7 days a week!

Expert

• 

103.8K Messages

23 days ago

Concern moved here to the Billing help section for greater exposure to Comcast corporate employees (The Digital Care Team) for assistance. 

Official Employee

• 

734 Messages

23 days ago

Hello user_kj9u06. We would never ask customers for someone in the family's social. We recommend calling us directly or reaching out to us on here for any sales. This way, you know for sure that you are getting any actual Xfinity agent.

2 Messages

Thanks. I called the Xfinity number 800-934-6489. Is that the correct number? Is there a direct number to call to change my service?

Official Employee

• 

996 Messages

user_kj9u06, That is the correct number. I would like to look into this for you, and make sure this get's addressed appropriately. 

Please send us a direct chat message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send your message

Let me know if you have any questions.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here