Mgellman23's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, March 10th, 2021 4:00 PM

Closed

Professional Install Dispute

I am a new customer to xfinity and had to set up the internet in a house I just purchased. I was on the phone with a technician for several hours and unable to hook it up ourselfs. The xfinity rep said that they would schedule a professional installation and that he would waive the 100 dollar fee. I just got that first bill and the 100 dollar fee is not waived. I called customer service and the technician did not notate that the fee was to be waived on the call. So the customer service said that only 50 of the 100 can be waived. Basically the technician messed up and now I am on the hook for the other 50 dollars. Not believeing me that the technicaian said the entireity was to be waived. I asked and they said there was nothing more I could do and their hands were tied. This is why so many people are unhappy with this customer service. A mistake on their end is now going to cost me 50 dollars. I cannot not wait until my 2 years of contract is up so I can switch to a provider will honor their word.

Accepted Solution

Administrator

• 

656 Messages

3 years ago

All,

Having an unexpected service fee is often the last we as consumers ever want to see, especially if a situation is seemingly outside of our hands. I've included information regarding our national policies below:

What types of service visits do not incur a charge?

When it is Comcast's responsibility to fix the issue:

• Premise Health Test (PHT All Out): If the customer is out of service on all devices, the customer should not be charged for a trouble call.
  • Low MoCA: If you determine through the normal course of troubleshooting that MoCA performance is sub-standard, the customer should not be charged for a trouble call.
  • Degraded Internet: If you determine through the normal course of troubleshooting that Xfinity Internet performance is degraded, the customer should not be charged for a trouble call.
  • Service Protection Plan (SPP): If the customer has SPP, then the customer will not be charged.
  • Repeat service visits if it's within 30 days of a completed trouble call or change of service (excludes “not at home” completed jobs). Note: As of May 9, 2018, the Service Protection Plan is no longer available for new subscriptions.

What types of service visits do incur a charge?

• In-home Customer Education about Xfinity services where it’s the only repair solution.
  • Any repairs, replacements or reconfigurations of the wiring in the customer’s home.
  • Where the equipment that the customer owns, and not Xfinity equipment, is the cause of the service issue (i.e; a printer not syncing up, an incompatible modem, answering machine, etc.)
Comcast warranties all work that is performed by our technicians for a period of 30 days wherein the customer has made no changes to their equipment or the work performed by the technician. Xfinity technicians do not install in-home wiring nor is Xfinity responsible for any existing in-home wiring--this is the customer or property owner responsibility.
Technicians should be closing the jobs with the appropriate codes so that charges are not forward to the customer. If they are not, we can pull the job orders and send the appropriate feedback and coaching opportunities. 
In cases where customers sign up online, over the phone, or in-person, there is a digital consent form for customers who opt for a self-installation:
"I chose the self-installation option with the Getting Started kit. I agree that if I am unable to complete my installation and an Xfinity technician is required, I will be charged a Professional Installation fee of $100. If I am charged for a Professional Installation, any shipping charges for the Getting Started kit will be automatically credited back to my account."
That said--if you are offered an installation waiver by an associate, please Contact Us so we can pull the account information and confirm that waiver as well as have it applied.
For self-installations, most accounts are eligible for a self-installation unless:
  • There has not been active Xfinity services in the last 12+ months (6+ months in some regions)
  • Customer is coming from another provider at the same premise
  • Xfinity services have never been active at the address
  • An old debt has locked the account and/or the drop was disconnected

Agents are authorized to advise any of the above information when requested. Any and all bill disputes, including installation charges, should be brought to our attention within 120-days of the printed bill date.

Whenever you have a negative experience, we want to know--we want to make it right. If you had a negative experience with an agent, a technician, in general--please reach out to us so we can help, especially over here on the official forums. Official Employees are available and can be identified by their usernames, their signatures, and our avatars.

If you have a billing dispute for your account, please create a thread with details regarding your dispute in the appropriate forum, and an official employee will be able to assist.

Thread will now be closed.

This comment was created from this reply

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

3 years ago

Hello, @Mgellman23, thank you for reaching out in our forum for help with your professional installation fee. I'm sorry this happened to you, but I'm happy that you're letting us be part of your home. I would love a chance to help turn this around. Typically, this fee is applicable, but I can research things to see if we can apply a credit. In order to get started can you please send me a private message with your full name? To send a private message, click my name "ComastMarcos", then click "send message".

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I had the very same thing happen last night.  I received a preview of my bill and there was $100 charge added.  We had done a self-install but, even though I had been told that our equipment from our previous house would work just fine, we could not get the internet to hook up.  I spent several hours on the phone over two days with multiple agents.  Finally they said we would need someone to come out but, if the technician determined that the problem wasn't ours, we would not be charged.  The technician came out and found that there was not an active outlet for the computer.  He switched that on in the attic and we were connected.  He assured me that we would not be charged,

The agent I spoke with last night told me first that a technician was not able to waive a fee like that.  When I told him that both the agent on the phone beforehand and the technician said he could, he then said that he saw no notation that the fee should be waived and that he had no way of contacting the technician.  So he tried to justify it a couple of ways.  But the bottom line is that I was told by two different Comcast reps that there would be no fee and now I am charged $100. 

If anyone can help me with this or tell me who to talk to about it, I would appreciate it.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Same here. I tried several ways to get the self-install kit to work with no success.  The rep I spoke to to schedule a technician to come to my home distinctly told me that she would waive the $100 professional install fee because I had tried to get the service to work myself.  Imagine my surprise when my bill came with the $100 fee included.  Customer service insist this is a legitimate charge since a technician came out and got the service to work, and will only give me a $20 credit - Claimed they tried to remove the $100 but was not able to.  I guess this strategy is an Xfinity thing. Xfinity came highly recommended by family members .....and then this - so disappointed and frustrating....help!!

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hello @user_217abb, technician's visits are free unless the technician makes any repairs, replacements, or reconfigurations of the wiring in your home or if the issue is caused by the equipment you own that is not Xfinity equipment. We also charge if the visit is for in-home education.

Promising to credit a fee and then not crediting the entire fee we promised to cover is not the experience we want you to have. Could you please send our team a private message with your full name, the name listed on the account (if different), and the service address associated with your account? Our team can most definitely take a further look.

To send a Private Message, please click on the chat icon in the top-right corner of the screen, next to the bell icon, and then type or select "Xfinity Support" to initiate a live chat.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

At least you all were warned about a 100$ dollar fee. I moved apartments (which online and over the phone they try and say is very easy...its not because of this), tried to install myself, bought new cables, and it still did not work. So, then I called, and Xfinity said they would send someone out to fix it. Of course, they failed to make any sort of mention about a 100$ charge, so when I looked at my bill I got a pretty big surprise (as well as my monthly charges had increased unexplainedly by 20$). I immediately called customer service, spoke to them for an hour and a half, with the phone call ending by them saying they will remove the charge, and someone would call me back about the 20$ jump in my monthly charges. I'm sure you know what happened next. Neither of these things happened, so this morning I have been on hold for another hour trying to get this removed. Of course, the new people I am talking about say they know nothing about what had happened before and I'm sitting here unbelievably frustrated. Never would have I agreed to pay 100$ for this. Xfinity has now charged me, and the new people I am talking to seem like they won't help a single bit. This is a nightmare. 

Problem Solver

• 

1.4K Messages

@user_cb5677 Hello and thank you for letting us know about your experience with moving. We don't want you to have unexpected fees or feel like you were mislead. I want to see what happened. 

Please send a private message by clicking the direct messaging chat icon in the upper right corner of the page, click on the pen and paper icon, then enter “Xfinity Support” in the “To” section. Please include your name and address and I'll be happy to help.

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I am at wits end having spoken to 2 reps who promised to help with no solution! I moved services and have been an Xfinity customer for almost 10 years! The internet service, after a self install, was extremely poor with multiple drops. I called in and phone support couldn’t help. The agent assured me the installation fee would be waived since the problem was likely on their end and would notate that. The technician could not solve the issue and had to change the modem that xfinity provides indicating they had provided a faulty modem. I am now charged $100 despite the fault being on their end and 2 people assuring me there would be no charge! This practice is deceptive and demoralizing! I have recorded conversations with the agents assuring me the fee would be waived.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

This exact thing happened to me. I just moved apartments and was assured it be no problem to transfer service, but of course it was. Now I'm being charged $100 for something I didn't ask for. After moving the internet didn't work. I was on the phone with an agent for over an hour trying to fix it. She offered to send out a technician and my first question was if I would be charged. She assured me multiple times that I would not be. The technician came out, did an install and left. It took maybe half an hour and there was no mention of a $100 charge. I called customer service and they said "the charge was valid" so that's it. So angry and I'm ready to cancel my service.

Administrator

• 

656 Messages

All,

Having an unexpected service fee is often the last we as consumers ever want to see, especially if a situation is seemingly outside of our hands. I've included information regarding our national policies below:

What types of service visits do not incur a charge?

When it is Comcast's responsibility to fix the issue:

• Premise Health Test (PHT All Out): If the customer is out of service on all devices, the customer should not be charged for a trouble call.
  • Low MoCA: If you determine through the normal course of troubleshooting that MoCA performance is sub-standard, the customer should not be charged for a trouble call.
  • Degraded Internet: If you determine through the normal course of troubleshooting that Xfinity Internet performance is degraded, the customer should not be charged for a trouble call.
  • Service Protection Plan (SPP): If the customer has SPP, then the customer will not be charged.
  • Repeat service visits if it's within 30 days of a completed trouble call or change of service (excludes “not at home” completed jobs). Note: As of May 9, 2018, the Service Protection Plan is no longer available for new subscriptions.

What types of service visits do incur a charge?

• In-home Customer Education about Xfinity services where it’s the only repair solution.
  • Any repairs, replacements or reconfigurations of the wiring in the customer’s home.
  • Where the equipment that the customer owns, and not Xfinity equipment, is the cause of the service issue (i.e; a printer not syncing up, an incompatible modem, answering machine, etc.)
Comcast warranties all work that is performed by our technicians for a period of 30 days wherein the customer has made no changes to their equipment or the work performed by the technician. Xfinity technicians do not install in-home wiring nor is Xfinity responsible for any existing in-home wiring--this is the customer or property owner responsibility.
Technicians should be closing the jobs with the appropriate codes so that charges are not forward to the customer. If they are not, we can pull the job orders and send the appropriate feedback and coaching opportunities. 
In cases where customers sign up online, over the phone, or in-person, there is a digital consent form for customers who opt for a self-installation:
"I chose the self-installation option with the Getting Started kit. I agree that if I am unable to complete my installation and an Xfinity technician is required, I will be charged a Professional Installation fee of $100. If I am charged for a Professional Installation, any shipping charges for the Getting Started kit will be automatically credited back to my account."
That said--if you are offered an installation waiver by an associate, please Contact Us so we can pull the account information and confirm that waiver as well as have it applied.
For self-installations, most accounts are eligible for a self-installation unless:
  • There has not been active Xfinity services in the last 12+ months (6+ months in some regions)
  • Customer is coming from another provider at the same premise
  • Xfinity services have never been active at the address
  • An old debt has locked the account and/or the drop was disconnected

Agents are authorized to advise any of the above information when requested. Any and all bill disputes, including installation charges, should be brought to our attention within 120-days of the printed bill date.

Whenever you have a negative experience, we want to know--we want to make it right. If you had a negative experience with an agent, a technician, in general--please reach out to us so we can help, especially over here on the official forums. Official Employees are available and can be identified by their usernames, their signatures, and our avatars.

If you have a billing dispute for your account, please create a thread with details regarding your dispute in the appropriate forum, and an official employee will be able to assist.

Thread will now be closed.

This reply has been converted into a comment
I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here