U

Thursday, September 12th, 2024 6:20 PM

Dispute charge for technician service

Hello, 

I recently moved to a new address. My previous address also used xfinity with the same router/modem combination I am currently using. After going through the exact same setup process from last year, I was unable to successfully activate my internet connection. I was very confused. Nothing about my tech stack had changed - I was still using the same router/modem. I had even used xfinity service the year prior so I knew it worked. I followed evey piece of advice that xfinity offered to me: I used their step by step setup process in the app. I made sure my unit was plugged in, turned on, and had an active ethernet connection. At the end of the walkthrough, I could even see my network and connect to it! But for some reason, the internet still did not work. I thought there may be an issue since I am trying to setup a modem from a previous address at a new address.

I spent the next three hours painstakingly communicating to at least 7 different customer service representatives using the xfinity chat support which did not make me feel supported. After explaining my situation to every one of the them, most of them would just leave the chat session abruptly and I would be forced to try it again with a new agent. The few that stuck around were completely stumped but I ultimately got the same suggestion from all of them: your internet is working but the issue is with the physical cable connection going to your house. They all had me get set up with technician appointments to have someone come out and look at cable connections to resolve the issue. I was relieved since at least I knew that I wouldn't have to pay for the service. After all, I was able to connect to my router; I could see my network on my devices and I could connect to it. For some reason, the service refused to be activated and I could not actually load any web pages when connected to my network. This led me to believe that there must be a physical problem beyond my control and that there was no other choice but to set up a technician appointment.

The next week, I finally was able to get a technician over to my house. He did not check any of the connections in my house. The first thing he did was go through the router and modem setup process the same way I did. And to my absolute astonishment and bewilderment, it worked. For some reason, it just worked for him. I cannot explain it, and he could not explain it. I tried everything in my power to activate my service but I guess all it took was someone else to follow the exact same steps that I did? That didn't seem right to me. I noticed during the setup process, he typed some things into his iPad. I figure that something on his end there must have done the trick to activate the service that I already had setup. At this point, I was just happy to have internet and didn't really think much of it. After all, because it was truly out of my control, even though someone came to set it up, I thought there is no chance xfinity would think to charge me for a service technician visit. I set up the router and modem by myself, I followed all the steps in the app, I was able to see my connection in my network tabs and connect to it, and I followed all the faulty advice provided to me by the representatives in xfinity support. But here we are.

Now I would like to dispute this service charge. Please allow me to DM you. Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

8 days ago

Hi there!, @user_7olh7z  Thank you so much for reaching your Digital Care team. I appreciate your patience while you waited to connect with me. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience, I know how confusing this is to do all the troubleshooting steps and be told a technician would need to be dispatched then later be charged for the service fee. Please be assured you reached the right person to assist you. Can you please DM me your first and last name, along with your full service address so that I can assist you further.-Richard

To send a direct message [private message]:

•   Click "Sign In" if necessary
  •   Click the "Direct Message" icon
  •   Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  •   The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.
  •   - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.
  •   - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
  •   Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  •   Press Enter to send it

2 Messages

Thank you, accepted answer 

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

user_7olh7z, Thank you for reaching out to Xfinity Support. I would be happy to help you. 

Please send us a direct chat message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forum's page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "to" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send your message

Let me know if you have any questions.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

106K Messages

8 days ago

Concern moved here to the Billing help section for greater exposure to Comcast corporate employees (The Digital Care Team) for assistance. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here