Anon296804's profile

Contributor

• 

65 Messages

Thursday, April 22nd, 2021 3:04 PM

Closed

Any way to opt out of the $14.45/month Regional Sports Fee?

We don't watch sports, yet our Xfinity package includes a $14.45/month "Regional sports fee". Xfinity phone support tells us there's no way to opt out of paying; again, we don't watch sports, we don't watch ESPN or any of the dozens of sports channels we're paying for. Is there really no way to opt out? Thanks.

Contributor

• 

123 Messages

3 years ago

Nope and it’ll only continue to rise unfortunately. 

Contributor

• 

65 Messages

I thought maybe this was a government-mandated fee, but according to Xfinity it's levied at their pleasure:

"The Regional Sports Network Fee is an itemized charge that you'll see on your bill. This charge is not a government-mandated fee and will increase from time to time. It's based on our costs of providing the regional sports networks that we carry on our cable systems in each area. These costs include the fees that regional sports networks charge us to carry them on our cable systems, which are among our largest increasing costs. The Regional Sports Network Fee is not included in our promotional pricing or pricing under your minimum-term agreement and can increase during your promotion or minimum-term. You'll receive advance notice before an increase takes effect."

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/most-common-taxes-fees-surcharges-on-your-bill#:~:text=The%20Regional%20Sports%20Network%20Fee,cable%20systems%20in%20each%20area.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hi, @Anon296804! Thanks for spending your time to reach out by using our Forums page. I definitely understand the inconvenience that this fee has caused you as I never like seeing fees on my bill that increase my rate. We can certainly help do all that we can to get you into a rate that works best for you with the services that you enjoy. The regional sports fees are costs charged by programmers to carry regional sports networks and while this fee is increasing, it covers only a portion of the costs that are paid by Comcast. Our digital channel lineups include a variety of programming that appeals broadly to our customers' interests, including general entertainment, news, and sports programming. Under the current distribution model, we offer these very popular regional sports networks on our most widely distributed levels of service, and this fee covers a small portion of our costs to carry these increasingly expensive channels. If you’re interested in paying less for TV, we have some great options for you to consider, including packages that don’t include sports channels. To research this further please send us a private message with your name and address by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner on your forums page when signed in. Once there, you can search for "Xfinity Support" to compose your direct message.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

65 Messages

Thank you for your response, ComcastGabe. Yesterday I spent three hours participating in dysfunctional chats and on the phone with Xfinity support agents resolving an unrelated issue; I don't think I could put myself through that again. If Xfinity has a solution for the issue posed in the OP then they can contact me; they have my number. 

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

No problem. This is definitely not the experience that we like to hear about. We understand that your time is valuable. I would not want to go through that as well. I actually spent 4 hours on the phone yesterday with Legal Zoom to find out why is my business license taking so long to arrive in the mail. I apologize for the inconvenience that we have caused you. I truly want to help and rectify this experience by exploring all of the promotions available to see if I can get you into a better deal. How does this sound? If you change your mind please feel free to send us a private message with your info so we can help. Simply reach out to us anytime here on the [Xfinity Help & Support Forum](https://comca.st/2Qs77W6), [Reddit](https://comca.st/3xaaWQm), like us on [Facebook](https://comca.st/2QLPbWy), or Follow us @ComcastCares on [Twitter](https://comca.st/3ay0Hvt)! We have an awesome team of Corporate Digital Care agents on standby and ready if and when you need us.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I want to opt out of Marquee Sports Network and the additional $8.20/mo fee! (I don't watch the Cubs so why are they making me pay!?)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here