sandyandy's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

Closed

ROKU, HBO GO

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I understand that. I'm with you on your argument for having HBO GO available to Roku users. When I made the statement I was pointing out the obvious logic behind blocking HBO GO. With my experience, the only way of getting Xfinity to change their minds is with our wallets. In areas like where I live, it's easy to describe their business model as monopolistic. The only other alternative is expensive 10 mbps dsl and crazy fee heavy dish service. 

We're stuck and Comcast knows it. Why offer us an alternative to extra over priced cable boxes?

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

11 years ago

I was looking at getting a good but cheap 7in tablet and found the Hisense Sero 7 Pro at walmart and it has HDMI out could be interesting.

Frequent Visitor

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

Two thoughts that might help you given Comcast's lack of Roku support:
1) If you want to use your HBOGO account on your Roku buy the PlayOn app for Roku. It works well and I watch HBOGO on my Roku3 with nice quality picture (not HD but a heck of a lot better than Comcast SD) all the time. Like everyone else I'd prefer native HBOGO support on the Roku but this is a decent work-around.
2) I ditched all my Comcast cable HD and DVR boxes and went with a CableCard ($1.50/month) on an HDPrime device using used Xboxes as media extenders with Windows Media Center as a central DVR. Saving about $70/month in my case and added benefit of having HD quality picture on any TV where I elect to have a media extender. Requires some up-front equipment investment ($175 in my case) but removes all monthly Comcast hardware fees. Return on investment varies based on your configuration but in my case it's a 3 month ROI - some would call this approach a "no brainier"...

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

What I don't get it why is it only the Roku?  We have a basic cable box and an xbox in our living room and get the best of both worlds.  HBO Go on the xbox, plus the xfinity app.  Also can get HBO Go on the tablet and computers from xfinity.  Now in the bedroom we have a roku and can't get either.  Why does Comcast allow HBO Go on everything BUT ROKU?

Frequent Visitor

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

FYI - the Playing issue with HBOGO has been resolved. It was some kind of change HBOGO made to their website that required an update and refresh of IE.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

For the people out there still asking why we still want it on a roku when we have a cable box: If you had a roku, then you would understand. You can search all of your applications for movies and tv at the same time. If I am searching for a specific movie, I don't have to search through the cable box and then through netflix and then see if it is on another app, Roku will give me all of my options at once, paid or free. Also when we go away and cannot bring the cable box with us, we can hook the roku up anywhere and still have stuff for the kids to watch in the room without having to pay premium hotel prices for movies or games between outings.

I don't understand why Comcast would allow use of hbo go with apple tv or xbox 360, but not with Roku. That seems a little stupid seeing as Roku is more versalitle and user friendly than either of those platforms. Sometimes convenience is everything. Have you ever watched a movie on tv with commercials even though you own the DVD and it is sitting 10 feet in front of you? I use my roku more than the cable box even though there isnt always the same quality of material and I pay for the cable service. I use it more because it is simpler to navigate. Maybe you are not as lazy as I am, but after a long day if I get the chance to sit in front of a television for 30 mins or an hour, I want simple. 

Contributor

• 

362 Messages

11 years ago

@hussman wrote:

"The only other alternative is expensive 10 mbps dsl and crazy fee heavy dish service. "

Actually, that "fee heavy dish service" is cheaper than the promo price I was paying Comcast with far better service and programming. Right now I am paying 134.00 a month for the full programming package including all the programming channels, 2 Hopper DVRs each of which holds 250 hours of HD programming and 2 Joeys for the other 2 televisions. When my promo period ends in October, I will pay another 30 dollars a month unless I drop some of the premium channels (I'll keep HBO and Showtime). I kept my internet through Comcast, since I have no alternative. The level of programming and functionality that I have with Dish is so far above what Comcast has that it is amazing.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

How many subscribers have to want something before you will actually make it happen? I don't understand the difference between allowing apple tv and xbox 360 to stream hbo go to your tv, but not Roku or Samsung. It seems oddly prejudicial.

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

11 years ago

Even better how many subscribers that are paying a premium for something and only want to get what they would from any other provider, for which comcast hast to litterly check a box on a website to allow us to get what we already pay for. This is not an issue of legistics or support, it clicking a check box that is right next to other check boxes they have checked.

Frequent Visitor

• 

19 Messages

11 years ago

@ArthurHammer wrote:

It's just a matter of time right now, maybe another year from now? Look at the track record Xbox 360 was added on April 2012, Apple TV was added on June 2013, Roku sometime 3rd quarter 2014? I don't think they are forgotting about Roku. They know it's a popular device but also know it can be link up many HBO accounts as one Comcast acount. Honestly all they have to do is lock HBO Go on one Roku device. To prevent family members using the same account or something on different devices. Pluis Roku would have to pay a contract fee, which is probably in the millions. Hense why Apple TV and Microsoft have made deals so far.

I wish I had hope but I do not. It's not about when Comcast starting supporting devices. It is about when HBO Go became available on those devices and how long it took Comcast to allow them. HBO Go became available on the 360 on April 1st, 2012. Comcast began allowing it on April 9, 2012. It became available on the Apple TV on June 19th and Comcast allowed it same day. I do not have an exact date for the Roku but it was before Feb. 10th, 2012. So we have gone over 18 months with no Roku support and other devices have obtained it within a week. Comcast clearly has no plans to allow it. Comcast has a monopoly on cable TV and high quality broadband in my city or I would have switched years ago. I really do not want to buy an Apple TV just for HBO Go but I am seriously considering it.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

works with apple tv.  comcast hate roku so we pay

New Poster

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

To all of you who are asking "why dont you just use the on demand feature on your box?" HBO go allows you to access way more material, for starters you can watch every episode of nearly every series HBO has ever broadcasted, and access to more movies and specials. I just switched from Uverse to Comcast and found out you cant get HBO go on your Roku. Im about to cancell my comcast and switch back solely because of this!

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I subscribe to HBO and have ROKU.  HBO Go is No Go with Comcast.  This original post is approaching two years old and this is still not addressed by Comcast.  You [Comcast] obviously know how to ignore your customers needs and wishes.  

New Poster

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

We have a secondary residence in OH.  I currently subscribe to Time Warner Cable there (Xfinity is not available).  I would like to drop the Time Warner Cable to save cost and purchase a Roku to watch HBO GO and streampix.  FIOS and Time Warner Subscribers can use the ROKU for HBO GO and On Demand features of their cable company.  Xfinity is one of the very few companies that does not participate.  Therefore, as a triple play customer at our primary residence, I cannot take advantage of streaming through the ROKU.  Is anyone aware of any plans for XIFINTY to join the rest of the world in allowing its customers to watch HBO GO and streampicks on the ROKU?  I am very frustrated and entertaining the idea of switching to another carrier. 

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Not only do they ignore, they mislead/lie.

From online chat inquiring about an xfinity mailer I recieved (Digital Starter TV, HBO, Streampix for $29.99 for 6 months).

You: If I get HBO, will I have access to HBO Go?
Chris: Yes, you definitely can access HBO Go if you have HBO.
You: I have a Roku and have seen the app on there. Will it work on that?
Chris: Yes, as long as you have HBO service.
You: Well I know that is not true, so you'll want to correct that in your script.
Chris: With HBO, you also get our HBO multiplex that comes with HBO East , HBO West , HBO 2 West , HBO Signature West, HBO Family West, HBO Latino, HBO Comedy and HBO Zone.
Chris: And yes, you will get HBO Go.
You: http://www.hbogo.com/activate does not list comcast (nor xfinity) for Roku.
Chris: You may call our Customer Service Team for more information on how to activate that.

You: Thanks for your time. I will not be ordering any TV service from comcast, because it is missing Pac 12 Networks and Roku HBO Go access.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here