sandyandy's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

Closed

ROKU, HBO GO

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Frequent Visitor

• 

14 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks to bcr0214 for talking with the Comcast Director regarding this issue and reporting back to us.

That this is a cost issue for Comcast is believeable, but likely not the whole story. Large companies will throw millions away at boondoggle projects (think Streampix), then turn around and make bad decisions on relatively smaller cost issues like this because upper management has an underlying agenda, which something like this might threaten.  Yes, given the behemoth that Comcast is, small per unit charge from HBO probably ends up being a non-trivial amount of money.  Thing you got to try to imagine is whether this amount would be like, they have to report on their quarterly earnings to shareholders:  “Um, we lost money this quarter because we gave Roku access to HBO GO for a bunch of users”.  Frankly, can’t see it being this kind of money.

Here is my take:  we PAY for HBO subscription, the whole thing, not just some portion of it.  If we wanted to only pay for starter cable, sit around and watch like the Guinea Pig channel (or whatever), that would be one thing.  But we are Comcast’s premium customers, we pay for HBO because of that quality content, and if there is no technical reason why Comcast can’t give it to us on the Roku player, or any other modern device for that matter, then they need to do this.  Now would preferable.

Frequent Visitor

• 

14 Messages

12 years ago

Yeah, I don't know, could be an FCC type of issue, or maybe restraint of trade.  Because you have to get the HBO (and therefore HBO GO) subscription service from a local TV service provider, and in many places there is only one choice, so there is no recourse (do we have any lawyers listening?).

As you might expect, Time Warner and Cox both are rated above Comcast in TV service in the latest Consumer Reports. Not that any of these guys are rated that high, this being the sorry state of broadband in this country.  This issue of HBO GO over Roku is particularly ridiculous, but by no means the only issue. The whole industry needs reform, and clearly Comcast is being their own worst enemy right here

Regular Contributor

• 

91 Messages

12 years ago

All HBO has to do is renegotiate contract with Comcast to allow more folks to get HBO GO streaming without needing sub from comcast. If I were HBO I would do what ever it took to keep Game of thrones on for as many seasons as possible and then make the change when current contract ends and offer its services completely free of the Cable and satilite companys...

Frequent Visitor

• 

14 Messages

12 years ago

Makes sense to me.  If you are the content owner, in this day and age, how much value are the Comcasts of the world providing, beyond transport?   If you ask Comcast to split up the cost of the bundled package, TV is far and away the biggest chunk.   This is why, Comcast letting this issue fester is just unreal. 

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

I think I may have figured it out.  Comcast's big white elephant, StreamPix, already offers an HBO Go-type experience, right?  I think you can get most back episodes of HBO on it. 

I doubt most of us will pay for StreamPix in the first place (much inferior to Netflix/Amazon), and now with HBO Go, we're even less likely because now we can (or could have, thanks Comcast) get all HBO content bundled with our subscriptions.

Probably some executive in Comcast is trying to cover his/her bad decision making by making a deal with HBO for streamed content, then realizing too late HBO Go just ruined the business model.  How can he/she explain to the boss that after paying HBO for StreamPix, they have to now give it to customers for free who have alternative streaming technologies...  So no Roku access while they roll out another campaign for StreamPix (wait for it, the commercials are coming).

Sound plausible?  Could explain the 'cost' issue Comcast is alluding to, because I don't really buy the "oh, we can't afford the cost per user to HBO" idea, while all other cable companies don't seem to have an issue and have a fraction of comcast's resources.

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

12 years ago

Speaking of SteamPix they can keep it till at least it runs on Roku!

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

I'll bet you 3 months free of Showtime* that that is their plan.  They will roll out a Streampix channel on Roku very soon, so they can say, "you don't need HBO Go for free, for only $5.99/month you can get the same thing, plus other streaming choices, via Streampix!"

* after 3 months, if you don't call me to cancel, I will charge you 150% of the market rate indefinitely.

Regular Contributor

• 

91 Messages

12 years ago

475 posts and counting people. And we still bend over and take it up the ol wazoo from comcast.

comcast doesnt even care about keeping customers any longer. Example; my mother called comcast to see if they could meet or at least come down in their price a little to make it more attractive to the att uverse that recently came around.

get this ! they told her they would give her hbo free for 3 months ! they didnt budge on price. my mother said, if they cant lower the price a little, she will have to change to att uverse, after having been a comcast customer for 18 years. Comcast said, sorry to lose you,(basically, have fun with uverse). So then they raise everyones rates and blame it on the competition of uverse ! its a joke. comcast is a joke. they dont care !

they will find another way of giving you nothing and raising your rates, claiming "they gave you something".

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

12 years ago

As I have repeatedly stated, Comcast does not care.  I have noted others coming to this realization.  Comcast will have a netflix event, and lose vast numbers of customers.   HBO will sooner or later offer their product without being tied to Cable provider.  HBOGO was the first missile.  As soon as this happens many more providers will follow suit.  I for one will immediately place a good antenna in the attic, and buy my hbo content directly.  I may still need comcast for internet, but maybe not.  With netflix, redbox, Amazon, who needs the million and 1 inferior channels offered anyway.  My buddy just put an antenna in attic and I swear his HD on regular channels is stellar!  I could feed my family for the month on what I pay Comcast, and their arbitrary quarterly increases are now painful.  I have a buffet table of devices that get some channels, but not others, and its a real pain.  I really have only myself to blame for staying so long and paying so much.  I wish my suburb had another provider.  Oh well, we'll have to wait and see, but I am losing hope.  Streampix, btw, has little content when compared to others.  Maybe ultimately their poor decision on HBOGO, Roku will get me off my behind, and make some changes.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I have a hbo on the go channel on my roku but cannot set it up on my roku it says comcast does not support I only have on demand in I room and would like to use with my riku in my bedroom I also drive a 18 wheeler and would like to be able to watch hbo and my on demand channels in there when I am stuck in it I no I can on myi pador laptop but my tv is bigger and would be alot easier to see. Do you think u will be bucking it up anytime soon?

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I noticed that you're offering a service called XFinity StreamPix, and that it's available for the XBox360.

I would be interested, and possibly even a subscriber, if you had service available for Roku.

Regular Contributor

• 

91 Messages

12 years ago

yup. just what nobody asked for. texting from their computer. and wifi that most people have already bought wireless routers for $25. I asked a person that i know that works for cox cable. they said comcast is full of it. a company gets what they allow for. comcast keeps blaming everyone else for what they dont give. so, now that we KNOW that comcast is full of lies, who will be their scapegoat this time as to why we get 50% of the service for 150% of the price ?? global warming ?

Regular Contributor

• 

91 Messages

12 years ago

ROFL I like that one. Global Warming gets the blame for everything else why not lol...

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

12 years ago

Hey, Comcast, keep your texting, old news, already have it, as 95% of your user base already have. Give me HBO Go On ROKU!!!!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here