epurman99's profile

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

Tuesday, May 15th, 2012 12:00 PM

Closed

Watch espn app for android and comcast one of the providers

Kudos on comcast being Comcast becoming a provider giving us the ability to utilize the watch espn app to stream.  Works fine on ipod and ipod touch.  While the claim is that it works on android smartphones, it does not.

I called espn, who at first was incredulous, and then said yes, app from the android play store is not designed to work now, but is designed to work soon. 

When is soon and when will either the ads be updated to say it does not work on smartphones, or when will the app stream on android phones.

Thanks

epurman99

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

7.2K Messages

12 years ago

Hi all,

As mentioned before, if you are using the most up-to-date version of the WatchESPN app for Android, Comcast will now be listed as a provider.

Here are some requirements:

• Smartphones using OS version 2.3 and above will be able to run this app.

• The WatchESPN app is not yet optimized for Android tablets using OS version 2.3. Customers may download the phone version of the app and use it on their 7 or 10 inch Android tablet, the app will work on those devices.

• A Kindle Fire app is not currently available at the Amazon Kindle Store

What XFINITY customers need to WatchESPN app:

• A subscription to XFINITY TV

• A set-top box or other device supporting On Demand

• A subscription that includes the network you want to watch (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU)

To log in, you can either use your Comcast email address or a Comcast ID.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Really no android app update for the next few months?  More androids are being sold than iphones and yet no support, amazing but not surprising.  Central Pa still does not have the ability to remotely access our cable boxes for programming dvr ect..and that was suppose to be serveral months,  a year later you still can not do it. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I understand there are multiple Android devices as opposed to one device for Apple, but Comcast reached a deal with Disney, what, 5 or 6 months ago? Seems like plenty of time to work this out for Android devices. You'd think a company with the resources Comcast has would be able to get that done with such a large chunk of time to work with. How much programming can really be involved anyway, the app already exists and works, as long as you have the right cable company. Shouldn't it pretty much be just a matter of flipping a switch and allowing access? I'm not a tech guru so maybe I have it completely wrong, it just seems like they've been dragging their feet for an absurdly long time, even if there is programming involved. A multi-billion dollar company shouldn't take over half a year to program one Android app.

Valued Contributor

• 

444 Messages

12 years ago

on android? I still can't get it to work at all on my android.

Official Employee

• 

7.2K Messages

12 years ago

@medziatkowicz wrote:

on android? I still can't get it to work at all on my android.

As stated by ComcastTed above, we expect to extend access to the WatchESPN app on Android devices in the coming months.

Once we get more information about a more specific timetable or launch date, we will let you know.

Thanks,
Joe
@TWITTER: @XfinityTVJoe

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

On iPad.

Official Employee

• 

7.2K Messages

12 years ago

@epurman99 wrote:

Kudos on comcast being Comcast becoming a provider giving us the ability to utilize the watch espn app to stream.  Works fine on ipod and ipod touch.  While the claim is that it works on android smartphones, it does not.

I called espn, who at first was incredulous, and then said yes, app from the android play store is not designed to work now, but is designed to work soon. 

When is soon and when will either the ads be updated to say it does not work on smartphones, or when will the app stream on android phones.

Thanks

epurman99

We expect to extend access to this app on Android devices in the coming months.

Where did you see that it was going to support Android? Please send us any links so we can change it.

Sorry for the miscommunication,
Joe
@TWITTER: @XfinityTVJoe

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

12 years ago

you say that it works on smartphones; without specification that IMPLIES it works with Android phones as well. 

However, at the very bottom of your email, in small print, I saw coming soon to the Google Play store for Android.

epurman99

Contributor

• 

35 Messages

12 years ago

It doesn't make any sense for this WatchESPN app to not be available for use with Android devices for Comcast customers. This isn't even an app from Comcast so how can we be waiting for this app to "compatible" with a provider? Did Comcast have to arrange a deal with Apple and Google in addition to ESPN?

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

12 years ago

Spoiler

On a related post, I did see an ESPN commercial promoting the app saying you could stream from both ipod and android.  This is obviously premature..

epurman99

Contributor

• 

35 Messages

12 years ago

An app exist for Android but Comcast is just not listed as an available provider. I do not understand what is preventing ESPN from just changing the Android app to have Comcast listed and getting authentication worked out with Comcast. They've already done this with IOS so it's not their first run at this.

I'm also sick of excuses (not just Comcast) about their being so many types of android devices- there are still only a few versions of the Android OS and many apps are saying your need v2.3 or later anyway.

No more excuses

New Poster

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

You can probably watch espn on your android device in the browser by navigating to xfinitytv.com and logging in with your comcast account. iOS users probably needed an app because the xfinity espn streams are provided through Adobe Flash which Apple does not allow on its devices. Android does support Flash therefore you can view the xfinity content without needing an app.  I have ESPN streaming on my Samsung Tab using the Opera browser.  It would be more convenient if there was an app but for now this works.

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

The only reason for no Android support (despite ads in TV and radio saying there is) that I can think of is the continued incompotence of Comcast continues. No Comcast Sportsnet in central Indiana even though it was promised years ago and now a failure to come through with another advertised product. Guess we shouldn't expect any better from Obama's pet company than lies and broken promises.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Actually, the xfinity Player works on my Toshiba Thrive and my Thunderbolt.  But the WatchESPN does not.

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

12 years ago

Is there an app for the xfinity player, or what is the URL over the internet.

Thanks

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here