Spokane44's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 2:00 PM

Closed

Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

Called Xfinity and asked about the availability of XG1v4 cable boxes at my location (WA state), which has the capability to stream 4k content through Netflix.  Was assured, with repeated confirmations, that they were available to the local service store, would just have to bring in my existing cable box and exchange it.  Bought a nice LG OLED TV, upgraded my Netflix account to receive Ultra HD, and took my box down to the local service center for exchange, per customer service direction.  You can probably guess what happened next - "sorry, we don't have any 4k boxes, don't know when we will".  Anyone else been misled by the Xfinity garbage customer service?  Went online to see what lies they convey on their website regarding this matter, and found this:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/uhd-4k-faqs/   More misleading BS.  Wanted to warn anyone else potentially in the same situation as myself not to believe anything you are told or read about the availability of XG1v4 boxes; go to your service center first to confirm.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

What is a PM how do I get a 4K unit

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

wrote:
What is a PM how do I get a 4K unit

select page one at the top or bottom of this thread and follow the answer to the first post. 

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Hi Zach,
I’d love to get a xg1v4 but I can’t seem to PM any of the Xfinity employees posting here...
Thanks!
Ahhh, you need to post before given the chance to send a pm... got it!

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

6 years ago

Some of the Olympics on demand is.  It's in 4K HDR and in Atmos as well.  It's definitely quite limited but there is some there.  It does look great, however they are sporting events so not ideal candidates to watch on demand 24 hours after they have occurred and you have to scroll down past their results to get to them in the Xfinity area of the menu screens in some cases (past the medal counts, etc)...

With regards to some of the other comments above, my guess is that if you set your box to 1080, it will not pass the 4K signal, but I have not tried this yet with the Olympics on demand offerings or Netflix.  I would prefer if there were a "Native" video setting so that our TV's could do the upscaling however that doesn't seem to be an option with Xfinity like it is with DirecTV?

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

The problem is that you are existing customer,,,

Apparently, xFinity spent 7.7 billion dollars to cover the Winter Olympics and are using this to promote their 4K broadcasts.  Sounds good right?  Looked into it and was able to determine that my X1 box needed to be swapped out to watch the various 4K broadcasts.  So I tried to contact customer service--  via online chat.  After 2 attempts, gave up and had them call me back--  autobot did immediately but lost me on transfer.  Tried again, got connected with customer service representative.  She listened to my needs and was able to confirm that my local store did have the 4K X1 boxes (in fact there were 40 of them).  I asked if she could reserve one of them for me and she said she was able to do so.  I drove over to the store (with my X1 box, power cord and remote) and had to figure out their protocol-- had to sign in and wait for a representative.  About 45 minutes later, spoke with a young man who was interested in what type of 4K TV I had.

I explained that I had reserved a 4K X1 box in an earlier call to the 800 support center.  He went in a door to a back room for about 5 minutes and came back telling me that their store did not have any 4K boxes.  He knew nothing about my reserved box.

I was livid--  then I realized that this is typical for existing customers.

As I was driving home, contacted the 800 number again, told her my story and was able to order a box through the mail.  Explained my story, and expressed that I would like an explanation of how this misservice could have happened...   We'll see,

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Posting for PM rights.

Contributor

• 

39 Messages

6 years ago

I have confirmed what slydoggie talked about when viewing Olympic 4k content on pre-hdr tv.  I have a 2015 vizio p-series and the video appears washout.  My 4k Roku does the same thing when i play a 4k hdr video through my HDMI 2.0 port.  I read carefully the requirements for 4k viewing of Olympics and it does say 4k hdr tv.  My Samsung 4k blue ray player does convert the 4k hdr video to 4k sdr perfectly when viewing 4k video files with hdr

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Posting to see if I get PM rights to request a 4K X1 box...

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

wrote:

I have confirmed what slydoggie talked about when viewing Olympic 4k content on pre-hdr tv.  I have a 2015 vizio p-series and the video appears washout.  My 4k Roku does the same thing when i play a 4k hdr video through my HDMI 2.0 port.  I read carefully the requirements for 4k viewing of Olympics and it does say 4k hdr tv.  My Samsung 4k blue ray player does convert the 4k hdr video to 4k sdr perfectly when viewing 4k video files with hdr

4k needs HDMI HDCP 2.2  maybe?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

6 years ago

Also I did confirm i can play 4k netflix shows thru the xg1v4 box with no problems. If i change it to one of my none hdmi 2.0 ports then I will only get HD for that show.

Contributor

• 

39 Messages

6 years ago

wrote:

Also I did confirm i can play 4k netflix shows thru the xg1v4 box with no problems.  If i change it to one of my none hdmi 2.0 ports then I will only get HD for that show.

Regular Contributor

• 

81 Messages

6 years ago

KK_in_CT wrote:

Some of the Olympics on demand is.  It's in 4K HDR and in Atmos as well.  It's definitely quite limited but there is some there.  It does look great, however they are sporting events so not ideal candidates to watch on demand 24 hours after they have occurred and you have to scroll down past their results to get to them in the Xfinity area of the menu screens in some cases (past the medal counts, etc)...

With regards to some of the other comments above, my guess is that if you set your box to 1080, it will not pass the 4K signal, but I have not tried this yet with the Olympics on demand offerings or Netflix.  I would prefer if there were a "Native" video setting so that our TV's could do the upscaling however that doesn't seem to be an option with Xfinity like it is with DirecTV?

As you mention, I experimented and set my XG1v4 to 1080p and then tried viewing some of the 4k Olympic content.  The XG1v4 system said I had the incorrect resolution set and offered to reset it to the correct resolution.   

Regular Contributor

• 

81 Messages

6 years ago

RobertWy wrote:

"On Demand is definitely not recorded in 4k."

Not true!  ALL 4k olympic content is only available through on-demand from Comcast.  No live content is being broadcast in 4k through Comcast in my area.

My upgraded Samsung TV supports HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and the VP9 and HEVC codecs.  When viewing the Olympics in 4k from Comcast, some of the earlier recorded content remains over exposed or washed out and other content looks fine.  Today's recorded figure skating looks awesome.

This leads me to believe it is the manner in which Comcast rendered the recordings to on-demand.  As others have mentioned, Netflix and Youtube look great in 4k-- it's only some of the Comcast recorded material that is not up to par.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

I was able to call the 1-800-comcast and ordered on as follows - highlights below:

- rep confirmed my area/account could have 4k

- confirmed my info to send  the new 4k DVR  to me and would get it in 3 to 5 business days

- once received I could send my old X1 DVR back via UPS or go to my local comcast store where they could first transfer my recorded shows from my old DVR to the new one (we'll see how that works!)

- rep recommended that I get the 4k dvr shipped to me as to not to trust that the local store would have inventory (really!)

- charge for the UPS shipping was said to be $15 but then the rep said he did not see an invoice so maybe I will not get charged

- also asked for and will get shipped the latest internet gateway (cable modem) at no charge. We'll see if it works better than that last new model I got, which did not work right and had to be exchanged for the old model.

Frequent Visitor

• 

15 Messages

6 years ago

wrote:

wrote:

4k needs HDMI 2.2  maybe?

Actually, you need HDCP 2.2 (not to be confused with HDMI) as that provides the 4K copyright encryption protection. I don't know if you need it for streaming but it is definitely a requirement for 4K Bluray players.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here