Spokane44's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 2:00 PM

Closed

Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

Called Xfinity and asked about the availability of XG1v4 cable boxes at my location (WA state), which has the capability to stream 4k content through Netflix.  Was assured, with repeated confirmations, that they were available to the local service store, would just have to bring in my existing cable box and exchange it.  Bought a nice LG OLED TV, upgraded my Netflix account to receive Ultra HD, and took my box down to the local service center for exchange, per customer service direction.  You can probably guess what happened next - "sorry, we don't have any 4k boxes, don't know when we will".  Anyone else been misled by the Xfinity garbage customer service?  Went online to see what lies they convey on their website regarding this matter, and found this:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/uhd-4k-faqs/   More misleading BS.  Wanted to warn anyone else potentially in the same situation as myself not to believe anything you are told or read about the availability of XG1v4 boxes; go to your service center first to confirm.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Regular Contributor

• 

134 Messages

6 years ago

Hi MNtundraRET,
Bose 3rd party hooked my Bose up to my old 50" plasma, l'll call him up if he takes my call and run it by him, I do know were each High end complaint cables are hooked up and
according to my Bose 535 picture of the back panel looks like there is no HDMI (ARC) only labeled 3 HDMI ports, 4th HDMI port labeled HDMI out -Video to TV, other end from tv HDMI-ARC. And from Bose HDMI #2 to the XG1 DVR, but like I said I'll run it by 3rd party Bose, I think he told me HDMI from tv to the HDMI out, had to go there to show the Source menu on tv screen.
Get back to you when I can, lots of honey do's.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

6 years ago

wrote:
Hi MNtundraRET,
Bose 3rd party hooked my Bose up to my old 50" plasma, l'll call him up if he takes my call and run it by him, I do know were each High end complaint cables are hooked up and
according to my Bose 535 picture of the back panel looks like there is no HDMI (ARC) only labeled 3 HDMI ports, 4th HDMI port labeled HDMI out -Video to TV, other end from tv HDMI-ARC. And from Bose HDMI #2 to the XG1 DVR, but like I said I'll run it by 3rd party Bose, I think he told me HDMI from tv to the HDMI out, had to go there to show the Source menu on tv screen.
Get back to you when I can, lots of honey do's.

Maybe I am confused. Was that other cable on your A/V going to a separate television? If so,no problem. I do have my 40" 1080p Sony Bravia sitting side by side with my 65" Samsung 3D UHD television. With 2 tv's in the same room only one at a time for the S.S. system. Other switched to stereo headphones or muted and on C.C..

That 4th port might be a HDMI to DVI. That port supplies HD video only to a HD tv. You could use a optical digital cable to supply the 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound for Audio if you needed to use that port.

Regular Contributor

• 

134 Messages

6 years ago

Sorry for the confusion again,

No, the Panasonic Plasma was our old 1st Flat screen TV, now only one TV LG OLED C7p 65" with always a Digital Opitical cable out to TV to the Bose hooked up. The 4th port I would have to ask 3rd party Bose, but he told me another time I asked him, that must be hooked up from TV HDM! ARC or HDMI to the 4th port to show SOURCE on TV SCREEN, I would have to run that by with him to make sure, but he is not answering his Phone for now. Thanks for your help and concern. I'll get back to you when I find more info.

I do know looking at my Bose Specs. Bose 535 Lifestyle SoundTouch Entertainment Sys. does not have a HDMI (ARC) port and no CEC. and was told by Bose not 4K compliant, will ask 3rd party Bose to be sure?

Learned one thing, after we bought the 535, salesmen does not tell you everything and at the time we had no idea we would end up with our new LG 65" TV, so got the shaft because I was not up to pare on latest sound system, my fault, because the Bose 520, one model down from our is 4K compliant, Salesmen told us, they have know answer why bose went backwards on the 535 to make it 4K compliant, and like I said, did not know we would end up with this GREAT LG 65" TV, like RickG said best TV in the world, his opinion, and mine.

Like was said by you and others, my AV not compliant, and HDMI would have to go to TV to the DVR. Thank you!

Oh! I am keeping the XG1V4 it is faster than Comcast X1's, the XG interface alot faster, and so far no hicups, no freezing screens, and so on.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

6 years ago

Your post has been removed to a secure, hidden area for violating Forum Guidelines [personal identifying information in image]. If you are not familiar with the Guidelines you may review them here. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379

Official Employee

• 

7K Messages

6 years ago

Hello @SPD-NH. I can help you get a new XG1v4 4K DVR ordered and shipped. To get started, please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can access your account. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

wrote:

Sorry for the confusion again,

No, the Panasonic Plasma was our old 1st Flat screen TV, now only one TV LG OLED C7p 65" with always a Digital Opitical cable out to TV to the Bose hooked up. The 4th port I would have to ask 3rd party Bose, but he told me another time I asked him, that must be hooked up from TV HDM! ARC or HDMI to the 4th port to show SOURCE on TV SCREEN, I would have to run that by with him to make sure, but he is not answering his Phone for now. Thanks for your help and concern. I'll get back to you when I find more info.

I do know looking at my Bose Specs. Bose 535 Lifestyle SoundTouch Entertainment Sys. does not have a HDMI (ARC) port and no CEC. and was told by Bose not 4K compliant, will ask 3rd party Bose to be sure?

Learned one thing, after we bought the 535, salesmen does not tell you everything and at the time we had no idea we would end up with our new LG 65" TV, so got the shaft because I was not up to pare on latest sound system, my fault, because the Bose 520, one model down from our is 4K compliant, Salesmen told us, they have know answer why bose went backwards on the 535 to make it 4K compliant, and like I said, did not know we would end up with this GREAT LG 65" TV, like RickG said best TV in the world, his opinion, and mine.

Like was said by you and others, my AV not compliant, and HDMI would have to go to TV to the DVR. Thank you!

Oh! I am keeping the XG1V4 it is faster than Comcast X1's, the XG interface alot faster, and so far no hicups, no freezing screens, and so on.

You're blessed not to have posted this up on the AVSforum as they don't have any appreciation for Bose products, especially the lifestyle line.  While I think it is cleaner to run all video through the AV unit with one HDMI into the ARC line, it may not be feasible.

Contributor

• 

113 Messages

6 years ago

Your best solution is to connect the XG1v4 directly to the TV and run a optical or coax cable for sound to the Bose. That is the way my son does it.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I went to my local service center this morning, and the rep there only mentioned the Xi5 box as a 4k option (and that I could only get one if I ordered over the phone and would require a tech installation). The way he explained it, it sounds like the Xi5 box operates completely differently from the XG1v4 box that everyone here is mentioning--in fact, from how he explained it, getting the Xi5 would completely change how I currently use/setup my X1 DVR.

I own a Sony 4k TV and already have a Netflix 4k subscription. I'd like to be able to stream Netflix in 4k directly through my X1 DVR, and I'm intrigued by what I've read about the next-day 4k Olympics viewing in February through the X1 platform. I suppose it doesn't matter to me whether I usethe Xi5 box or the XG1v4 box; I'd just like to get access to 4k through Xfinity however possible.

Does anyone know the differences between these two boxes and/or how to get them? From this thread, it sounds like the best method is to have a Comcast rep here order the XG1v4 box for me. Is that still true?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

wrote:

I went to my local service center this morning, and the rep there only mentioned the Xi5 box as a 4k option (and that I could only get one if I ordered over the phone and would require a tech installation). The way he explained it, it sounds like the Xi5 box operates completely differently from the XG1v4 box that everyone here is mentioning--in fact, from how he explained it, getting the Xi5 would completely change how I currently use/setup my X1 DVR.

I own a Sony 4k TV and already have a Netflix 4k subscription. I'd like to be able to stream Netflix in 4k directly through my X1 DVR, and I'm intrigued by what I've read about the next-day 4k Olympics viewing in February through the X1 platform. I suppose it doesn't matter to me whether I usethe Xi5 box or the XG1v4 box; I'd just like to get access to 4k through Xfinity however possible.

Does anyone know the differences between these two boxes and/or how to get them? From this thread, it sounds like the best method is to have a Comcast rep here order the XG1v4 box for me. Is that still true?

xi5 is not 4k at all. at thie time only the DVR xg1v4 is 4k compatible and that is only for Netflix with 4k premium subscription.

Regular Contributor

• 

134 Messages

6 years ago

Does your son have the Bose 535?
When I did connect the cable from the tv ARC and disconnect other in from Bose video out to the DVR, the Bose tells me that I have disconnected that cable from the video out even shows up on the TV screen with a arrow pointing out that connection that I disconnected, will not stop showing till I reconnect back up to video out, yep! strange, but that cable is to help show on the tv screen all the Source connection choices I have and which one to change on the Bose remote of the Source I want t change, yes, like I have been saying I am using a Optical Digital cable hooked out from tv to the Bose, another words tried that a few years ago an it is still hooked up.
I tried with my cheat sheet of how I got all my cables hooked way before I got the XG1 a few days ago thinking how I can go from tv too the DVR work around but the Bose will not allow me.
When I have been reading here on the forum all pages on how to hook up the new XG1 from tv to the DVR I kind knew that it may not work for me, Sorry guys, did not mean to stir things up, but I said, what the heck I'll give it a try, tech.told me will hook up the same way as all the older X1 I had. I got the XG1 also because the interface was faster, yes it is for me, and no screen freezing, and no pixelation, all good so far, the only thing that I did not see on from DVR to TV screen the video display changes was no 2160 resolution changes, but even though I will not be able to use the 4K DVR operation because of the stupid Bose hook up error, I can live with it, unless me or some one else comes up with a work around? I talked to Bose they said good luck, they did try to think of some work around, struck out.
Last resort is the 3rd party that hooked up the Bose 535, he was not taking calls for some reason, and his phone in box was full, I'll try him Monday. Thanks for the help.
Oh and viewing from LG C7 65" 1080p Dolby Digital 5.1 looking good, sound too!

Contributor

• 

113 Messages

6 years ago

My son has an older Bose system without HDMI inputs so he has all the inputs going to the TV with an optical cable going from the TV to the Bose system.  The sound quality is quite good. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

6 years ago

wrote:

My son has an older Bose system without HDMI inputs so he has all the inputs going to the TV with an optical cable going from the TV to the Bose system.  The sound quality is quite good. 

Unless someone as purchased the very newest AV sound systems using Dolby Atmos there is absolutely no reason to waste a HDMI port needed for other devices. An optical digital port will supply identical sound for 5.1 or 7.1 sound systems. The upper level UHD televisions come with enough HDMI ports to cover most devices used today so cable-box connects to tv.

It is really just a matter of fewer cables to deal with. Ideally; you can get down to very few cables, power cords, using WiFi and Blu-tooth enabled televisions and devices (including: IPV viewing, S.S. AV and speakers, 4K, and 3D Blu-ray players, DVR's, and headphones). I am very close to this set-up.

Regular Contributor

• 

134 Messages

6 years ago

Hi guys, and gals,

Finally I talked to 3rd party tech.Chris, owner of his company, contracted to Bose store here in Calif. on installing sound system above and beyond in Tech. equipment. He hooked up my Bose 535 when I had the 50" plasma, then told him got the LG 65" C7P, he said a real kicker TV, good choice.

Told him my problem having the new XG1 v4 HDMI cable has to be hooked up TV to the DVR, his answer was no way, the 535 is not compatible to 4K for sound to pass through the system, and 535 does not have a HDMI (ARC), the HDMI ARC cable has to come from TV HDMI (ARC) to the Bose port HDMI OUT Video to TV port, and using the Optical out.

Chris said the Bose 520 is compatible to 4K, which the saleman did not tell us this after a month went by, could not take our 535 back.

Chris said there is a work around using by hooking a 4K splitter, but in his opinion it may open a can of worms, up to me to go that way to get 4K which we may not go that way, I may throw in the towel for the 1st time and just sit back and enjoy our LG, and with out no Freezing and so on which this new XG1 seems to resolve that problem so far, Chris agreed with that since the C7 has a great upscale features and so on. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" that is what my wife just said, she also said, "she does not want to find out if the splitter would open another can of worms, you, and others  have been spending to much time and days to get 4K when our LG looks just as good in 1080P"

Sorry! not the greatest typer to say things into words typing, and sorry! don't know how to get rid of the dark bold typing letters, I must of hit something to make the dark letters? Oh well!

Thanks you all for the expert help on helping me out. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

The Bose vendor should be ashamed of themselves.   For the record, I've made my own mistake re: Bose and when I bought my current set of Focal speakers did I come to grips with what real audio sounds like. 

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

language filter bypass
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here