Spokane44's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 2:00 PM

Closed

Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

Called Xfinity and asked about the availability of XG1v4 cable boxes at my location (WA state), which has the capability to stream 4k content through Netflix.  Was assured, with repeated confirmations, that they were available to the local service store, would just have to bring in my existing cable box and exchange it.  Bought a nice LG OLED TV, upgraded my Netflix account to receive Ultra HD, and took my box down to the local service center for exchange, per customer service direction.  You can probably guess what happened next - "sorry, we don't have any 4k boxes, don't know when we will".  Anyone else been misled by the Xfinity garbage customer service?  Went online to see what lies they convey on their website regarding this matter, and found this:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/uhd-4k-faqs/   More misleading BS.  Wanted to warn anyone else potentially in the same situation as myself not to believe anything you are told or read about the availability of XG1v4 boxes; go to your service center first to confirm.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Yes...those boxes will support 4K...What Comcast fails to disclose is that after you receive the box you will be billed an extra $19.95/mo. So before you upgrade your 5 beautiful OLED or QLED or 4K TVs be prepared to pay Comcast an additional $100/mo plus tax just for the privilege of allowing you to view the content. That's $1200/yr. This is because Comcast only makes a DVR box that will support 4K. Most people only need 1 DVR box and you can watch on any TV in the house. But Comcast MAKES you have a DVR for each TV to view 4K. Not only do we pay for content we don't need, we now pay for equipment we shouldn't need. Comcast response is, then don't buy a 4K TV.

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

Yeah, I just noticed the $19.95/month charge for the XG1v4. I'll be returning the box. I'm not paying 20 bucks a month to watch Netflix in 4K when I can just watch it from my TV's app. Unbelievable that they would try to pull that.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@RJG1 wrote:

Yes...those boxes will support 4K...What Comcast fails to disclose is that after you receive the box you will be billed an extra $19.95/mo. So before you upgrade your 5 beautiful OLED or QLED or 4K TVs be prepared to pay Comcast an additional $100/mo plus tax just for the privilege of allowing you to view the content. That's $1200/yr. This is because Comcast only makes a DVR box that will support 4K. Most people only need 1 DVR box and you can watch on any TV in the house. But Comcast MAKES you have a DVR for each TV to view 4K. Not only do we pay for content we don't need, we now pay for equipment we shouldn't need. Comcast response is, then don't buy a 4K TV.

all xg1's have same price. when the 'old' DVR is received in the warehouse they will reverse the extra DVR charge retroactively. When you exchange in a Comcast store it more or less is done immediately and you have your receipt.

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Yep...they are sleazy people, those comcast folks!! The play the "gotcha" game!! We really need to write our congressmen...something needs to be done...

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

That's correct...but I shouldn't be forced to have a DVR for each 4K tv you own...1 DVR will let you view on any tv in the home for a small monthly fee...I can accept that....I can't accept being forced into equipment that we really shouldn't have to pay for...they should provide us a non DVR box that can support 401k at a reasonable price, or we should be able to purchase one, just like a cable modem

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@RJG1 wrote:
That's correct...but I shouldn't be forced to have a DVR for each 4K tv you own...1 DVR will let you view on any tv in the home for a small monthly fee...I can accept that....I can't accept being forced into equipment that we really shouldn't have to pay for...they should provide us a non DVR box that can support 401k at a reasonable price, or we should be able to purchase one, just like a cable modem

each TV has to have a set top box and hopefully soon there will be a companion 4k set top box. you can 'own' a roku that is currently in a free beta test program. Tivo is also available although I don't know their 4K offereings if any.

Regular Contributor

• 

134 Messages

6 years ago

Did not have at my Comcast store.
Have tv screen freeze, pixelation, sound cut out, not all the time, all new high end 4K HDMI cables, using Bose 535 AV sound system, HDMI (ARC) using Optical Digital Cable. 5.1 sound. Picture 16:9,1080p picture and sound is great from our LG 65" C7P 4K tv.
I wanted the new XG1 v4 DVR, to swap out that may resolve my problems or another X1, I did get another X1 at the store since I was there. Store told me have to call Comcast to get the XG1v4, I did the said they will mail me one free to my house, I said, OK, it's on the way the said.
I have Netflix, but don't watch it much.
Don't really care much to see 4K, because tv looks just has good, real good and sound.
Oh! Technician was just out, said all signals good and so one, and amp booster hooked up the right way, it's ok too.
Should I keep the X1 or hook up the XG1v4 when I get it in the mail?
I know it's a matter of choice, but if the new XG1v4 DVR is going to give me the same performance or better in picture and sound with no hassle, then I'll keep the XG1v4 dvr?
Thanks!

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@Extech wrote:
Have tv screen freeze, pixelation, sound cut out, not all the time, all new high end 4K HDMI cables, using Bose 535 AV sound system, HDMI (ARC) using Optical Digital Cable. 5.1 sound. Picture 16:9,1080p picture and sound is great from our LG 65" C7P 4K tv.
I wanted the new XG1 v4 DVR, to swap out that may resolve my problems or another X1, I did get another X1 at the store since I was there. Store told me have to call Comcast to get the XG1v4, I did the said they will mail me one free to my house, I said, OK, it's on the way the said.
Don't really care much to see 4K, because tv looks just has good, real good and sound.
Oh! Technician was just out, said all signals good and so one, and amp booster hooked up the right way, it's ok too.
I know it's a matter of choice, but if the new XG1v4 DVR is going to give me the same performance or better in picture and sound with no hassle, then I'll keep the XG1v4 dvr?
Thanks!

it's the same price, many reports it has a faster user interface, and it has bluetooth for a headset. keep the 'new'. you can use both until you watch any recordings not on your cloud DVR. (will eventually be charged for both until the return). 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

6 years ago

@Extech wrote:
Thanks!

If you load the "You Tube" app found on your television using your TV's remote, you will get to see real 4 k programing. You are just fooling yourself if you think 4K upscaling actually compares to real 4k programs. Type in "4K, or 8K, HDR" in the You Tube seach field. Typing in "4K HDR test patterns" will show if you are actually viewing 4K or HDR.

Regular Contributor

• 

134 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for the reply, I like that about the faster interface if it is true, I may keep the XG1v4, plus side, we will one step ahead on the technology, and maybe a faster interface, X1 is slow. I'll check else where in the community for the XG1v4.

Usually I don't get devices right away, I wait for the kinks are worked out, but I'll take the beating anyway.

Comcast said will get the new DVR Sat. or Monday.Not holding my breath, least will give use time to try out the X1 swap to see if we are going to have the same problems of Freezing, sound cut out ans Pixelation. Agent said if it happens on the swap X1 DVR gives us a call, and they will send another tech.out, reading on the community for years, this is a on going problem, I told Comcast that, do they care?? but this is another subject, don't want to use it for here on the comunity here, only for the new V4DVR's. Thank you Rustyben.

Regular Contributor

• 

134 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for the reply, no offense, not the answer I was looking for, I should of told you, I know about typing in YouTube and put in 4K and so on, does look fantastic on our LG TV.

Rustyben did reply about the interface about being faster, so he said he has read many reports. Thank you MNtundraRET.

Contributor

• 

26 Messages

6 years ago

Is it possible to get a 4K X1 boxed shipped to me? The local service center did not have any....

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@SPD-NH wrote:
Is it possible to get a 4K X1 boxed shipped to me? The local service center did not have any....

on the first page in this thread (link http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/Xfinity-4k-XG1v4-Cable-Box-Availability/m-p/2992020/highlight/true#M143860) a Comcast Employee gives you options. 

Contributor

• 

75 Messages

6 years ago

Same experience  in California, except they didn’t make me pay the shipping fee. 

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

6 years ago

Had the same problem in Spokane yesterday.

The CSR in Denver said all Washington stores have them now. Went to the local Xfinity store and the guy there said it only available for professional install by a Comcast tech. That didn't make much sense so called again. They can be self installed, they will send one and should have it in 5 to 6 business days. Of course I have to pay the $15.00 shipping fee.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here