Spokane44's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 2:00 PM

Closed

Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

Called Xfinity and asked about the availability of XG1v4 cable boxes at my location (WA state), which has the capability to stream 4k content through Netflix.  Was assured, with repeated confirmations, that they were available to the local service store, would just have to bring in my existing cable box and exchange it.  Bought a nice LG OLED TV, upgraded my Netflix account to receive Ultra HD, and took my box down to the local service center for exchange, per customer service direction.  You can probably guess what happened next - "sorry, we don't have any 4k boxes, don't know when we will".  Anyone else been misled by the Xfinity garbage customer service?  Went online to see what lies they convey on their website regarding this matter, and found this:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/uhd-4k-faqs/   More misleading BS.  Wanted to warn anyone else potentially in the same situation as myself not to believe anything you are told or read about the availability of XG1v4 boxes; go to your service center first to confirm.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Regular Contributor

• 

482 Messages

6 years ago

@applehazar wrote:
Ok thanks. We don’t have an xfinity store here so it’s only the Comcast office that past due people come I wish we had one of the new stores here

Can't they still give you the box if they have it? I didn't even know it existed when I got it, I fell out of following this stuff for awhile as I've been occupied with a home remodel.

Contributor

• 

327 Messages

6 years ago

Ok thanks. We don’t have an xfinity store here so it’s only the Comcast office that past due people come I wish we had one of the new stores here

Contributor

• 

327 Messages

6 years ago

I’ll try again someday. Last time 2 months ago they said all they had was the old green light ones

Regular Contributor

• 

482 Messages

6 years ago

@applehazar wrote:

are you in the ann arbor area?  if you got a new style box - did you pick it up at the office? - any info is appreciated

I got mine in early September at the local xfinity store for self install . I'm in the suburbs of Philly.

Regular Contributor

• 

482 Messages

6 years ago

Sorry if this has been covered but I've had the v4 box for a couple of months but I only had a 1080p tv hooked up to it until tonight. The best video selection showed 1080p 60. Tonight when I hooked up my new 4k oled ( through my 4k passable Yamaha receiver )  the box recognized it and offered 2160 but for some reason Netflix only shows "HD" as an option.  I upgraded my account to 4k which shows up on the TV's Netflix app and on my ps4 pro ( which for some reason wouldn't recognize the 4k TV  when routed thru the receiver even though the XG1v4 did but it did play 4k Netflix when plugged directly into the tv ) . I thought about trying to plug the v4 directly into the tv but since it offered up the 2160 when I plugged it in and the receiver is rated for 4k I figured that isn't the issue . I rebooted and refreshed it .Any help is appreciated.

Regular Contributor

• 

482 Messages

6 years ago

I'm going have to check the age but I think it's 2014 or 2015. It's a Yamaha aventage rx-a730. I get the handshake thing but I assumed that since the xg1v4 only gave me the option of 1080p previously but once I installed the new TV it offered 2160p30 then it must be connecting alright? The TV's info says 2160 but it does that even on while watching TV so I assume it's the internal upscaler at work . I guess my only other option, besides getting another new receiver, would be to connect the PS4 and the xglv4 directly to the TV and rely on ARC to get my audio to the receiver but I'm wondering if the audio will be as good. Or leave it as is and stream 4k on the TV's native app.

Regular Contributor

• 

482 Messages

6 years ago

@RickGr4 wrote:
At first glance I was say the problem is the age of your receiver and that it doesn't support the latest HDMI and HDCP specs. I went through this with my older Marantz receiver and it is the main reason I bought a new one in 2016.

I guess that was it. I plugged the v4 and the ps4 directly into the tv and the v4 is now offering 2160p60 instead of 2160p30 and Netflix is now showing ultra HD 4K. Have to run out and grab a new hdmi cable because the ps4 doesn't work with deep color with  the one cable but does with  the other. Not up for getting a new receiver at this point so I guess it's 3 HDMI's run thru the wall rather than 1  and ARC for audio , thanks.

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

I purchased a Monter Black Platinum HDMI cable which has a 4K LED indicator which is never lit when watching Netflix 4k video thru the Comcast app.  I have noticed internet 4K Netflix is higher quality than the Comcast Netflix.  I tried the YouTube Comcast app and it does not support 4K.  Has anyone else noticed this? Also, I highly recomend the Monster Monter Black Platinum HDMI cable for better clarity and color reproduction over a cheaper HDMI cable that was 4K certified. 

Contributor

• 

113 Messages

6 years ago

In my opinion any quality high speed cable will produce the same results.  The signal is digital so as long as the HDMI cable is capable of carrying the signal you will get the same results.  I have four 4K TV connected to four 4K HDR Blu-ray players and they all produce perfect pictures using Comcast supplied HDMI cables which are six feet in length.  For longer HDMI cables I do recommend premium cables but Monster HDMI cables will not produce a better picture than any other quality HDMI cable. 

Contributor

• 

113 Messages

6 years ago

I need to disagree with you.  For analogue cables the quality matters to a degree but for digital cables as long at it can carry the signal without any problems the HDMI cable is fine. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/premium-hdmi-cable-certification-program-what-you-need-to-know/

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

I do not run my Comcast thru a receiver so that is not an issue.  I can access 4K Netflix thru the box but there is noway I have found to prove the Comcast Netflix video is really 4K as there is with Neflix intenet access.  Also, the Monster HDMI cables are well worth the cost based on performance difference for my Sony 930D.

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

I recycled the box and no change. 

Contributor

• 

113 Messages

6 years ago

If you choose not to believe me It's your choice. You know nothing about my background so if my facts don't agree with your opinions just come back with facts not opinions.

Contributor

• 

75 Messages

6 years ago

I’ll agree and disagree with you both. If you need shielding, buy a better insulated cable. If you want to reduce chances of failure, buy a better quality cable. If you want a chance to future proof your purchase, buy a tested and approved Premium Certified cable. If you want to waste your money, buy a Monster cable. By the way, Monoprice Premium Certified HDMI cables are on sale. Go buy a dozen for less than the price of one Monster cable. “If” it ever fails, you’ll have 11 more!!!

Contributor

• 

75 Messages

6 years ago

By all means, show us how much better the XG1v4 is with a Monster cable vs a Monoprice Premium Certified cable. Please show us. Two 30 second clips should be awesome eye candy.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here