CCGwen's profile

Contributor

• 

235 Messages

Monday, October 6th, 2014 2:00 PM

Closed

X1 Technical Issues

Welcome to the new "X1 Technical Issues" thread. We ask that you post all of your X1 related technical issues (Audio, Set Top Box, etc.) here. 

Below, you will find links to X1 Help articles that may assist you in resolving your technical issue:

Xfinity TV: Basic Troubleshooting

Find and Troubleshoot Error Codes

Thank you in advance for posting!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

My thought on this would be to boost the signal with the x1

If you do not currently have an amp installed and are having a poor RF issue, it is my understanding that technicians are trying to stay away from gain amps for customer's that have X1. 4-8port unity gain, or zero gain, amps are the preferred type of "splitter" for X1 systems. They also have a port dedicated for VoIP equipement. In an ideal situation, you'd want a separate line running from each port on the amp to each individual X1 box and RF levels should be nearly identical on each box with this type of setup.

Unfortunately, it is not always feasible for techs to be completely rewiring someone's home and they have to work with what is already in the house.

Problem Solver

• 

2.8K Messages

10 years ago

@jcassell12 wrote:

My thought on this would be to boost the signal with the x1

If you do not currently have an amp installed and are having a poor RF issue, it is my understanding that technicians are trying to stay away from gain amps for customer's that have X1. 4-8port unity gain, or zero gain, amps are the preferred type of "splitter" for X1 systems. They also have a port dedicated for VoIP equipement. In an ideal situation, you'd want a separate line running from each port on the amp to each individual X1 box and RF levels should be nearly identical on each box with this type of setup.

Unfortunately, it is not always feasible for techs to be completely rewiring someone's home and they have to work with what is already in the house.

The amps that you are talking about are great. The thing is that they are not needed for only two devices(**), given the signal coming in is within spec.

The issue is taking signal that infested with line noise and adding any amp, passive or not makes matters worse. I have nearly no noise at my location. the reason for my amp is that my drop is almost two hundred feet long. unfortunately there is no economianl way for them to run underground rg-11 in place of it.

Like I said I am a fan of the passive amp, but the node should be balanced and free of excessive noise before they are added..

Comcast had been doing a much better job of this in past few months here where I reside.....

***apartment buildings would be an exception to the rule as they are hard to get a strong signal to the equipment....

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

10 years ago

unbalanced two way splitter, not a three way as many use..My thought on this would be to boost the signal with the x1.If I am wrong on this than let me know...before I had my amp installed this was done with my setup...

You may be referring to a DC ( direct coupler) which I guess is an unbalanced 2 way

Problem Solver

• 

1.3K Messages

10 years ago

Lagoonies

You will need a tech to come out to the house.  I think the equipment needs to be swapped out.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I guess this is the right thread.

So, one of my companion boxes (on an old SD tv) just got the new update and it broke the guide. The picture itself for the channel is visible, but all menu related things (like the guide, saved recordings or on demand) are pushed off the screen or enlarged beyond proportion so I can't even see what I'm highlighting. It didn't do this prior to rebooting for the update, so clearly the update caused this.

I tried switching from 480 to other formats (it wasn't easy not being able to see what I was doing) and rebooting again, but it didn't help.

Edit: Looks like other peple on the forums are complaining about this as well. One even posted images that look exactly like my TV. Hopefully Comcast fixes this soon. 

Problem Solver

• 

2.8K Messages

10 years ago

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Image-display-incorrect-for-27-quot-SDTV/td-p/2346835

As you see in this thread we have not got anywhere yet with this...

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

OK let me update this (with same results).

I unplugged the box and let it sit again for well over 2 minutes. On plugging back in the power light ring came on green, the Network/Wireless light lit up (as it did previously) as well as the Data light on solid. Then the Record flashed 12+ times, all those went out then back on again and repeated the same thing (Net/Wireless on, Data on, Record flashing) for about 12+ times then went out completely with only the green power light lit on the box. Nothing showed on screen about downloading data/comcast informational message.

Pressing Setup also did nothing. So this box appears to be hosed....any ideas other than call comcast to get a tech out to replace it? This better not be a continual issue or I will move to another provider as I don't need these headaches, esp. when this system has been out long enough to resolve some of the kinks of a new platform....

Problem Solver

• 

2.8K Messages

10 years ago

@Anon1420267 wrote:

OK let me update this (with same results).

I unplugged the box and let it sit again for well over 2 minutes. On plugging back in the power light ring came on green, the Network/Wireless light lit up (as it did previously) as well as the Data light on solid. Then the Record flashed 12+ times, all those went out then back on again and repeated the same thing (Net/Wireless on, Data on, Record flashing) for about 12+ times then went out completely with only the green power light lit on the box. Nothing showed on screen about downloading data/comcast informational message.

Pressing Setup also did nothing. So this box appears to be hosed....any ideas other than call comcast to get a tech out to replace it? This better not be a continual issue or I will move to another provider as I don't need these headaches, esp. when this system has been out long enough to resolve some of the kinks of a new platform....

they are doing a major firmware update on those boxes..swap places with main dvr for the day,,,The modems on those boxes are not fast as the dvr and are sensitive

Once you have done this call x1 dept to re send the firmware request...this will not happen fast, but if they provision at the same time it should bring the box back for the day....

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Day 3 now of companion box not displaying anything on component 1 input of my TV in bedroom. I went to turn on my TV 3 nights ago (after using it before I fell asleep that night) by hitting the *TV* remote to set the timer for it to go to sleep after 90 minutes. All was well then....

I came home from work and did my usual stuff for the evening and when I went into the bedroom to set timer on TV and fall asleep to it I had NO video on screen. Only Component 1 displaying on the screen. Last night after power cycling the box (leaving it off for 30+ secs) I saw a Data light, Record light (show was being recorded in the living room/X1 DVR HD box) as expected. Then the lights went out and shortly after I saw the Record light flashing on/off. Not long  after that it went out (show probably finished) but STILL absolutely no video. I switched to Component 2 and get same results. So this seems like this box crapped out after only having it for a few weeks or so....nice hardware comcast...I know it isn't theTV and all connections are in solid. This was working fine up until 3 days ago.

Mike

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Hi,

I put the box into the living room, hooked it up, powered it up and saw the X1 Infinity message about take awhile to do its thing. I left it alone for about an hour (within about 10 mins, if that, I had picture in living room...).  No lights were indicating it was doing anything so I powered it off, disconnected and moved to bedroom. Getting same thing, powers on, cyclest its lights and then nothing....

Mike

New Poster

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Getting the "trouble connecting to the X1 platform" error message almost every day, usually requiring a reboot to fix. Do I need to arrange a service call?

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Hi,

It was all working just fine till 3 nights ago. I go to turn on the TV and I got no picture in the bedroom with the small box/receiver. Living room was working fine (DVR/HD/etc). I power cycled the small box, saw the X1 Infinity blah blah on screen then it went out and no picture. The WiFi/Network, Data, Record lights all were on solid or cycling (record did) then it appears to do its thing but no picture. I put the small box in the living room and got the X1 screen about it make take several minutes then had picture in living room. Now I moved it to bedroom and got nothing. And on top of that I got nothing from the DVR/main box now, I am power cycling it now and waiting to see if it will get its act together. The signal was low at the main box before changing to a comcast branded splitter then had a .1db loss (very good), and same for bedroom once he redid the cable connector. So all in all signal loss was fine and this shouldn't have happened in the first place....I may have to make a call to them to get this atuff working because I am paying enough for the services that this shouldn't happen  with a brand new box (meaning latest model in living room).

Mike

Problem Solver

• 

2.8K Messages

10 years ago

Mike, if I read this right you are saying it worked fine while on the other outlet in the lvrm..If that is the case you are having signal issues on the original outlet.I would call for a tech out...

Problem Solver

• 

2.8K Messages

10 years ago

@Anon1420267 wrote:

Hi,

It was all working just fine till 3 nights ago. I go to turn on the TV and I got no picture in the bedroom with the small box/receiver. Living room was working fine (DVR/HD/etc). I power cycled the small box, saw the X1 Infinity blah blah on screen then it went out and no picture. The WiFi/Network, Data, Record lights all were on solid or cycling (record did) then it appears to do its thing but no picture. I put the small box in the living room and got the X1 screen about it make take several minutes then had picture in living room. Now I moved it to bedroom and got nothing. And on top of that I got nothing from the DVR/main box now, I am power cycling it now and waiting to see if it will get its act together. The signal was low at the main box before changing to a comcast branded splitter then had a .1db loss (very good), and same for bedroom once he redid the cable connector. So all in all signal loss was fine and this shouldn't have happened in the first place....I may have to make a call to them to get this atuff working because I am paying enough for the services that this shouldn't happen  with a brand new box (meaning latest model in living room).

Mike

mike if you have a Comcast powered amp than make sure that is getting  good power. Sometimes they power from one of your outlets via coax. As Mr Edison found out when he went up against Tesla, DC only transmits a short distance. Anything over 50 ft can cause issues with the amp in some cases..Not all amps are made equal..

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I ended up swapping my HDMI cable from my PS3 to the box and TV and it decided to start working. I've never had a cable die/go intermittent as it hasn't been touched! Anyways, now still working on the bedroom issue. Not coming through via component but does via coax so troubleshooting with comcast now on that.

The power to living room cable box (Arris) is coming from a monster surge suppressor. the bedrom one is coming from a power strip (w/breaker) and as I said, in middle of figuring out why component isn't working when it did 4 nights ago. All I do is turn on the tv with the comcast remote, use the tv's remote to set the timer and fall asleep, no movement of the stand/tv whatsoever.

Mike

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here