jmar76's profile

Contributor

• 

37 Messages

Monday, November 27th, 2017 11:00 AM

Closed

Can't set recordings from stream app

So this has happened to me before on occasion but not lately, but today I tried to set recordings for several different things using the xfinity stream app and for some reason today the option just isn't there. Over the weekend I also just happened to read that Comcast just lost a decision by the ITC in favor of Rovi in a patent suit saying that Comcast is infringing on Rovi's patent for the technology in the app that is used to set recordings on mobile devices for X1 set top boxes. So I'm just wondering is it just a coincidence that it's not even an option for me today and perhaps due to maintenance of some kind on the app, or did Comcast temporarily pull this technology from the app as a result of the ruling by the ITC? Thanks very much to anyone who can shed some light on this.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I am having exactly this same issue. DVR recording functionality works fine via set top boxes but I now cannot use the iOS Xfinity TV Remote app to set anything to record. Recording via the app had been working fine until recently when I purchased a new iOS device. I have tried deleting and reinstalling app, restarting app, sending a system refresh to my set top box, etc without success.

I guess I will try going through the tortuous process now of calling Comcast support and hoping I can get a competent support person to properly add a Cloud DVR Rate Code...

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.4K Messages

7 years ago

@GQ3131 wrote:
I am having exactly this same issue. DVR recording functionality works fine via set top boxes but I now cannot use the iOS Xfinity TV Remote app to set anything to record. Recording via the app had been working fine until recently when I purchased a new iOS device. I have tried deleting and reinstalling app, restarting app, sending a system refresh to my set top box, etc without success.

I guess I will try going through the tortuous process now of calling Comcast support and hoping I can get a competent support person to properly add a Cloud DVR Rate Code...

No need to call support, comcast removed the record function due to legal matters with tivo.

See more info here:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

New Poster

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I cannot set up a recording from the app anymore

New Poster

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

RE-ACTIVATE THE ON-LINE RECORD FEATURE IMMEDIATELY!!!!

as well as the "B" button (picture in picture) functionality

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.4K Messages

7 years ago

@Primafacie wrote:

ComcastDan,

I hope you are still monitoring this forum because I really appreciated your responsiveness in the past.

I just got off the phone with the XfinityStream tech support to report a problem I just noticed yesterday. Essentially, I am no longer able to program my DVR at all from the TV listings function. As recent as last Monday (Nov 20) I was able to schedule recordings through the end of the week prior to leaving for Thanksgiving vacation. When I came back yesterday to the website to schedule recordings for this week, I noticed that when I selected a TV program, the "Record" option was missing. I was no longer able to schedule ANY recordings for any program. Tech support told me that they were notified just yesterday that this function was being removed from the web app. Please tell me in what universe does this make any sense. Were things going too smoothly, or did the web design team just miss people screaming at them for their total lack of software engineering skills. As I noted in my previous posts when the new web design was first launched, this new website in spite of all the "improvements" they've made since its initial launch (thank you for that anyway), it is still a giant step backwards from the original website in regards to functionality.

Why they would remove one of the major reasons for using this website (i.e. scheduling future DVR recordings) is totally beyond me. According to tech support, they said that you could still stream live programs as if that would totally compensate for removing the recording scheduling options. That is like having a car with a manual transmission and having all the gears removed except for 1st gear, and then saying that it wasn't that bad since you could still "drive" the car (albeit very slowly).

In today's competitive arena of cable TV vs. satellite, I don't understand why Comcast would provide this kind of incentive for its current customers to "ditch the cable" and switch to satellite. Why would you deliberately take away such useful functionality???

In the software industry, there is a certification used to measure a software organization's level of maturity of its software development processes called CMMI (Compatibility Maturity Model Integration). This certification assigns maturity levels from a range of 1 (very immature) to 5 (very mature). Based on what I've seen of your website designers, I would assign them a maturity level of -5.

ComcastDan, please don't take this as any criticism towards you because I appreciate your willingness to respond to this forum. I'm just frustrated not only by the continued degradation of functionality of your website, but also the arbitrary nature and suddenness of these changes that totally don't make any sense!! Based on what I heard from tech support, it didn't appear to be a temporary change while they "fixed" something. I hope I am wrong.

Thank you for listening! 

The record fuction was remooved due to lawsuit with tivo

More info here - http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Why can I select record a show when on the website?

Frequent Visitor

• 

14 Messages

7 years ago

ComcastDan,

I hope you are still monitoring this forum because I really appreciated your responsiveness in the past.

I just got off the phone with the XfinityStream tech support to report a problem I just noticed yesterday. Essentially, I am no longer able to program my DVR at all from the TV listings function. As recent as last Monday (Nov 20) I was able to schedule recordings through the end of the week prior to leaving for Thanksgiving vacation. When I came back yesterday to the website to schedule recordings for this week, I noticed that when I selected a TV program, the "Record" option was missing. I was no longer able to schedule ANY recordings for any program. Tech support told me that they were notified just yesterday that this function was being removed from the web app. Please tell me in what universe does this make any sense. Were things going too smoothly, or did the web design team just miss people screaming at them for their total lack of software engineering skills. As I noted in my previous posts when the new web design was first launched, this new website in spite of all the "improvements" they've made since its initial launch (thank you for that anyway), it is still a giant step backwards from the original website in regards to functionality.

Why they would remove one of the major reasons for using this website (i.e. scheduling future DVR recordings) is totally beyond me. According to tech support, they said that you could still stream live programs as if that would totally compensate for removing the recording scheduling options. That is like having a car with a manual transmission and having all the gears removed except for 1st gear, and then saying that it wasn't that bad since you could still "drive" the car (albeit very slowly).

In today's competitive arena of cable TV vs. satellite, I don't understand why Comcast would provide this kind of incentive for its current customers to "ditch the cable" and switch to satellite. Why would you deliberately take away such useful functionality???

In the software industry, there is a certification used to measure a software organization's level of maturity of its software development processes called CMMI (Compatibility Maturity Model Integration). This certification assigns maturity levels from a range of 1 (very immature) to 5 (very mature). Based on what I've seen of your website designers, I would assign them a maturity level of -5.

ComcastDan, please don't take this as any criticism towards you because I appreciate your willingness to respond to this forum. I'm just frustrated not only by the continued degradation of functionality of your website, but also the arbitrary nature and suddenness of these changes that totally don't make any sense!! Based on what I heard from tech support, it didn't appear to be a temporary change while they "fixed" something. I hope I am wrong.

Thank you for listening! 

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

When will Comcast/Xfinity fix the missing 'RECORD' option from the iOS and Android phone apps? What's the point of having a phone app for Xfinity if you are not able to record shows?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.4K Messages

7 years ago

@WatchTeeVee wrote:

When will Comcast/Xfinity fix the missing 'RECORD' option from the iOS and Android phone apps? What's the point of having a phone app for Xfinity if you are not able to record shows?

The record fuction was remooved due to lawsuit with tivo

More info here - http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

Frequent Visitor

• 

14 Messages

7 years ago

My apologies regarding my tirade regarding the removal of the ability to schedule recordings from the XfinityStreaming app.  It stemmed largely from my earlier experiences when the new website was first launched and I mistakenly assumed it was just more of the same. Thank you for the link providing the explanation. That being said, I wish they would have provided a quick explanation.

I also think if they lose their appeal, they need to come up with a way to do the same thing.

Thanks (sorry, ComcastDan for my tirade)

New Poster

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I just spent 1.5 hours on support chat for this problem and the Comcast person did not have a clue.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Is it just me or has the record tab been removed? I wanted to change a recording I had set to record 12-4-17 and couldn't do it on my laptop anymore. I tried again today and the record tab is still MIA.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.4K Messages

7 years ago

@Shingles32 wrote:

I just spent 1.5 hours on support chat for this problem and the Comcast person did not have a clue.

They often don't

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

In the past, if I had to work late, and I was going to miss my favorite show, I'd log in to the TV Remote Xfinity app, go the guide/listings, find the show in the listings, and there was an option to record the show (or series) -- and then I could record the show while still at work, and then watch the recorded show when I got home.  Now they got rid of the option of setting a recording remotely, due to the legal issue (and they hope to get this option back at some point, but have no idea when).  It is sheer insanity to get rid of this function in the TV Remote Xfinity app, and from the Xfinity Stream app. 

QUESTION: To rectify this issue, I tried finding an old apk (an older version of the app) on the web, and did find one from Oct 2016 (over a year ago), installed it, and it also did not have this option, so I am guessing that they turned off the recording remote option at the X1 box, via a software update, so I am guessing an older version app/apk is not going to work either?  Does someone know if this is why the old APK doesn't work either??

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here