Spokane44's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 2:00 PM

Closed

Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

Called Xfinity and asked about the availability of XG1v4 cable boxes at my location (WA state), which has the capability to stream 4k content through Netflix.  Was assured, with repeated confirmations, that they were available to the local service store, would just have to bring in my existing cable box and exchange it.  Bought a nice LG OLED TV, upgraded my Netflix account to receive Ultra HD, and took my box down to the local service center for exchange, per customer service direction.  You can probably guess what happened next - "sorry, we don't have any 4k boxes, don't know when we will".  Anyone else been misled by the Xfinity garbage customer service?  Went online to see what lies they convey on their website regarding this matter, and found this:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/uhd-4k-faqs/   More misleading BS.  Wanted to warn anyone else potentially in the same situation as myself not to believe anything you are told or read about the availability of XG1v4 boxes; go to your service center first to confirm.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

179 Messages

6 years ago

Just got my XG1v4 up and running.

Browsing Netflix App, picture suddenly changes to a 4x3 "snow", and sound plays the last cable TV Channel I was watching. I can change input on AVR, then go back to the XG1v4 input and I end up back on Netflix. Browse some more and within 30 seconds the same problem occurs.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I got it. Thanks. I guess just posting something gives you access to PM.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Apparently I can't PM ComcastElla until I post something in a forum. Can someone please request a PM from me so I can get an  XG1v4 4K DVR.

Thanks!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

6 years ago

Does the same thing happen when you bypass the AVR and go right to the tv?

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Second post, so I apologize if I've done this wrong. I've never posted to a forum before but I think I just cross posted since I don't know how to move a topic. I think this is the most appropriate location for my issue.

I've had my X1 system for a year. No problems, great picture. I just replaced my XG1 (Model PX013ANC) with the XG1v4-A (Model AX014ANC) yesterday. I have a samsung 65" Class KS800D 4K SUHD TV. My HD picture on the previous XG1 was great. After connecting the new XG1v4 yesterday the HD channels as well the DVR recordings in the cloud, some from when the old XG1 was hooked up and 2 recordings from just last night with the new XG1v4 all do not look near as sharp.

To be clear, I'm not focusing on the 4K video right now as I understand that there is no 4K content available yet (other than netflix), but wanted to future proof as well as catch some of the olympic feeds in 4K. I had planned to watch 4K netflix on apple TV or built in netflix TV app as my experience has been that the streaming 4K content is superior.

I'm troubled by the drop in quality of the new box on the HD feeds from comcast. I've refreshed everything, tried 2 different HMDI cables and tightened everything. The only difference I can come up with is the new XG1v4... but one would think at the very least it would have the same HD signal as the older XG1? I brought in another family member to look at the new picture after the change in STB and unprompted they noticed the same thing, so it's not just me. It's not horrible as some have pointed out in previous posts but a noticable drop in clarity.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Regular Contributor

• 

81 Messages

6 years ago

ComcastAndrew wrote:
Information can be found here

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Ways-to-Watch-the-Winter-Olympics-4K/td-p/3045509

I followed all the directions to view 4k Olympics and have yet to find one single episode available in 4k.  I've gone through it extensively and there simply is no 4k content.  Of course I have the new 4k box and set correctly for correct resolution.  When will there be 4k content available?  I'm puzzled as to why this is so difficult to find?  I can easily find 4k Netflix and Youtube but no Olympics. Thanks.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I have the XG1v4-A and love it. My question is how will I be able to watch the 4K broadcasts of the Olympics that Comcast is apparently offering this year? Are they on a different channel than my local NBC?

Thanks!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

6 years ago

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

6 years ago

From what I understand you are doing nothing wrong, there is nothing for you to find yet because there have been no events that have taken place 24 hours ago yet.  They are delaying all 4K for 24 hours and putting it all on demand from the time they show it "live" here in the US.  So in some cases I'm assuming that could mean even longer than 24 hours after the event takes place if they are showing it on a delay for our prime time here in the US such as the opening ceremonies that took place this morning US time but will be shown this evening on NBC.  Apparently according to one article I read, the broadcast they are using for the 4K is with different broadcasters and camera angles in some cases and with the use of more mics etc.  So as not to take away from the main broadcast (they don't want viewers to tune away from the main broadcast and switch to the 4K broadcast for some reason) they are only making it available on this delay.  If it wasn't a sporting event that may make sense, however for my household, sporting events are just about the only thing left that we do not DVR anymore and skip through the commercials.  We don't want to watch a sporting event that we already know the outcome of - especially one with such intense coverage as the Olympics where it's next to impossible to not learn the outcome ahead of time with all of the notifications and social media updates that everyone has these days.  Comcast seems so proud to be able to offer this technology, and then they make it so no one will want to use it because the network does not have the means to broadcast it live via their local feeds.  If this weren't a sporting event this model would be more attractive.

So, sometime tonight you can choose to watch what's happening live in HD that your 4K TV will do a decent job of converting for you, or you can go into the on demand on your 4K box and either rewatch the skating that you may have already seen last night or that you already heard or read about on the evening news last night or in an update on your phone today.  I have an AppleTV 4K and I was watching the olympics stream on the NBC app which they were broadcasting in 1080P - they have a large number of events to chose from.  The feed upscaled on my LG OLED looked very good.  I will probably just choose to watch that live rather than watch sports on demand.  It's too bad as they really could have had something great here.  I'll definitely look at some of it after the fact to see how it looks, but I'm not interested in a large sporting event after the fact.

Contributor

• 

179 Messages

6 years ago

wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:
Information can be found here

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Ways-to-Watch-the-Winter-Olympics-4K/td-p/3045509

I followed all the directions to view 4k Olympics and have yet to find one single episode available in 4k.  I've gone through it extensively and there simply is no 4k content.  Of course I have the new 4k box and set correctly for correct resolution.  When will there be 4k content available?  I'm puzzled as to why this is so difficult to find?  I can easily find 4k Netflix and Youtube but no Olympics. Thanks.

There are only going to be "Opening Ceremony, ski jumping, figure skating, snowboard /Big Air and the Closing Ceremony" in 4k and they will likely be delayed. While these will air "Live" on the cable tv channels (NBC or NBC sports), to see them in 4k you have to WAIT for the 4k release. How long, no one knows. Keep your voice remote handy and search for "4K" or say "Show me 4K". The 4k release may also have different announcers and camera angles.

Regular Contributor

• 

81 Messages

6 years ago

@KK_in_CT and tzr916

Thanks for the detailed clarification of viewing the events in 4k.  I agree with you that I never record sports events and disappointed they are not being broadcast live in 4k.  I did check it out on the NBC app and it's looks pretty good as you say.  Thanks 🙂

Regular Contributor

• 

81 Messages

6 years ago

KK_in_CT wrote:

From what I understand you are doing nothing wrong, there is nothing for you to find yet because there have been no events that have taken place 24 hours ago yet.  They are delaying all 4K for 24 hours and putting it all on demand from the time they show it "live" here in the US.  So in some cases I'm assuming that could mean even longer than 24 hours after the event takes place if they are showing it on a delay for our prime time here in the US such as the opening ceremonies that took place this morning US time but will be shown this evening on NBC.  Apparently according to one article I read, the broadcast they are using for the 4K is with different broadcasters and camera angles in some cases and with the use of more mics etc.  So as not to take away from the main broadcast (they don't want viewers to tune away from the main broadcast and switch to the 4K broadcast for some reason) they are only making it available on this delay.  If it wasn't a sporting event that may make sense, however for my household, sporting events are just about the only thing left that we do not DVR anymore and skip through the commercials.  We don't want to watch a sporting event that we already know the outcome of - especially one with such intense coverage as the Olympics where it's next to impossible to not learn the outcome ahead of time with all of the notifications and social media updates that everyone has these days.  Comcast seems so proud to be able to offer this technology, and then they make it so no one will want to use it because the network does not have the means to broadcast it live via their local feeds.  If this weren't a sporting event this model would be more attractive.

So, sometime tonight you can choose to watch what's happening live in HD that your 4K TV will do a decent job of converting for you, or you can go into the on demand on your 4K box and either rewatch the skating that you may have already seen last night or that you already heard or read about on the evening news last night or in an update on your phone today.  I have an AppleTV 4K and I was watching the olympics stream on the NBC app which they were broadcasting in 1080P - they have a large number of events to chose from.  The feed upscaled on my LG OLED looked very good.  I will probably just choose to watch that live rather than watch sports on demand.  It's too bad as they really could have had something great here.  I'll definitely look at some of it after the fact to see how it looks, but I'm not interested in a large sporting event after the fact.

Thank you 🙂

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Posting so I can PM to request a box

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Posting so I can PM @ComcastElla

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Hi I would like to order a 4K box as well. I have called and waited for them to become available and to no avail. If you have any way to do this I’m in the Chicago area.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here