U

Thursday, February 1st, 2024 1:01 AM

NBC ON DEMAND

Why are shows like all the Law and Order, Quantum  Leap and all the Chicago shows on demand only HD.  I can't  watch any of those shows the following day on demand as they are either  Peacock, HD, or other pay channels. I have SD.  It seems NBC shows are all listed like this as HD the next day on Demand .  Why is this not being corrected.

Official Employee

• 

370 Messages

4 months ago

@user_extsox HD results in the fastest, easiest, and highest quality content for those that have HD capable devices. If you only have SD, you can still enjoy the same content using the Xfinity Stream app! That will allow you to enjoy everything the same time it comes out in On Demand, without an HD TV. 

Regular Visitor

• 

8 Messages

and what do we do if we don't stream on our computers?  Comcast/Xfinity assumes everyone does and some maybe even alot don't stream.

Official Employee

• 

936 Messages

@binxkitty You can use the Xfinity Stream app on a web browser or any Xfinity Stream app supported device such as mobile phones, tablets, and LG/Samsung Smart TVs, or Roku streaming devices. We recommend visiting our 'Xfinity Stream app minimum system requirements' support page for minimum system requirements, supported devices, and more.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Regular Visitor

• 

14 Messages

I can't believe how unhelpful Xfinity is being regarding this issue, especially since all other networks I watch haven't done this to their customers.  

Some of us don't do streaming, don't do HD, don't want to watch on a smaller device and don't have a TV capable of streaming, even with an added device cause our tv's don't have an HDMI port.  We pay for cable and cable boxes and with that comes OnDemand, but now were being told too bad. 

Why is it that Xfinity can't, as a business, contact NBC, another business, and find out why they are alienating some customers, because they don't have the latest and greatest, and aren't capable of viewing in HD or do streaming.  That's the whole point of having cable, a cable box and, at least for me, paying well over $150/mo. 

Oh, and by the way, the Xfinity Stream app doesn't appear to keep track of which episode of a show was last viewed, whereas OnDemand does.

2 Messages

I agree.  Comcast has no real answer  for this except to pay more for HD or do streaming. I don't have a computer and I'm not paying anymore for HD

Regular Visitor

• 

14 Messages

Interesting bit of info someone added to my post regarding this same issue ( https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/channels-and-programming/nbc-shows-only-available-in-hd-format/65ba100956dae762b687fe06 ). 

Comcast owns NBC, so it's TOTALLY in their control about how things are put out on demand.  Seems as though they are trying to force people to go the route of the added cost of HD. 

I'm willing to pay for what I was getting, but if Comcast chooses to stick with this scam, then not only are they (Comcast and NBC) likely to lose out, but so would the shows themselves. There are ways to view most network shows and movies without having to pay or deal with commercials. 

Problem Solver

• 

217 Messages

3 months ago

The same issue also applies to "Resident Alien" on SyFy.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hello and welcome to Comcast @CactusThorn. Thank you so much for this feedback. Have you checked into your TV aspect ratios? If you visit this Xfinity link, it will guide you to set the proper aspect ratio that works with your TV. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Regular Visitor

• 

14 Messages

@CactusThorn​ it's most likely going to apply to all networks under the NBC umbrella, which along with SyFy will probably also include Bravo, E!, Oxygen, USA and any other NBC branded offshoots.  And Comcast owns NBC.

Another thing I have since found out, is that unless you have Xfinity internet, you can't use their Stream app on a smart TV, unless it's supposedly an Amazon TV.  Even an Amazon fire stick won't cut it, even though you can install it and the error it gives says you need a video subscription. 

Problem Solver

• 

217 Messages

@XfinityRoberto​ Thank you for trying.  I know about TV aspect ratios.  The older SD televisions are not settable.  The newer HD televisions can be set for SD if you had an SD-only show, but the problem in this case is that the show is HD-only, so it is only the SD sets that have the problem.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here