U

Wednesday, April 3rd, 2024 3:09 PM

cable card set up information

I have a non-smart TV and received a cable card from Comcast.  The TV does not have a card slot for connection. Is there an adapter that can connect the card to an HDMI port?

Reason: I would like to eliminate Cable Box rental fees.

Note: I do not want to stream with Firestick, Roku, etc.

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

2 months ago

... The TV does not have a card slot for connection ... 

CableCards only work with devices designed for them. No TV sets have been sold with CableCard slots for over a decade. The only retail "TV Box" I'm aware of is Tivo. There are also a few devices that work with PCs. See the articles at https://www.xfinity.com/search?q=cablecard for more information.

I believe that you'll still need a streaming device to access On Demand content, as Comcast dropped that from CableCard devices several years ago See https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/nonx1-service/on-demand-no-longer-supported-on-tivo-after-62519/602dabe3c5375f08cd8b2233?commentId=602dabefc5375f08cd8d5852#M194268).

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

863 Messages

2 months ago

@user_p4ypsf Hello! Thank you for reaching out to our Forums for help with using your Xfinity TV services without a cable box. I understand wanting to not have the rental fees per cable box. For me if I can lower the cost with an alternate option I'm going for it!
As @BruceW shared (Thank you BruceW) You would need a compatible cable card device which would be a Tivo, or cable card ready PC. Outside of that the only options we have available for viewing your cable TV content would be through streaming with the Xfinity Stream app. 

3 Messages

Hello: Thanks for your reply. To be clear, I do not want to watch TV on/through my PC. I wasn't aware that a PC can be cable-card-equipped. Tell me if this sounds  

Thanks

Mike

3 Messages

Tell me if this sounds right. With my wireless connection to the PC I could use an HDMI cable to connect the TV. How would I change channels, other than returning to the PC?

Official Employee

• 

863 Messages

@user_p4ypsf You are most welcome! If I am picturing this correctly you are thinking of connecting the computer to the TV with an HDMI. That connection would essentially make the TV a monitor for your computer, and it would not enable you to be able to watch the cable services through your computer. 

To view your cable content on your computer you can stream through our Xfinity stream website, or upgrade the PC with a cable card ready device. With a cable card ready PC you would be able to install the cable card and view your content through your PC without the need to rent a cable box or use our streaming options. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here