J

13 Messages

Monday, December 18th, 2023 8:15 PM

Can not connect to Incoming imap server to receive emails in Outlook

I have chatted twice with agents online and all I am told is that there is a problem and they are working on it. First it was give it 24 hours. I did...Outlook did connect once and I got a couple of emails...this was yesterday. This morning we once again return to not being able to download new emails into Outlook. Now I am told give it 4 more hours or call in for support. Calling requires sitting on HOLD for almost an hour. There is ZERO communication from Xfinity as to what the problem is or when it might be fixed. This all happened after Xfinity REQUIRED me to change my password. What is going on and why is there NOTHING online about what is going on?

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

5 months ago

@jannod53 Thank you so much for your post for help with your emails not importing over to your Outlook. You may need to update your settings in Outlook to recognize the new password. When setting up the Configuration settings for your Comcast.net email you are asked for your current Xfinity password and anytime there is a change to your password for your Xfinity account outlook should ask for the new password to be entered when you return. If Outlook did not ask if it was not updated to your new Xfinity password you may encounter issues. To update your password in your Outlook settings: 

1. Open Outlook.
  2. Click the Tools menu, and select Accounts

You can pick your current Xfinity email address shown there to edit your settings.  Once the new password is updated your sync should resume as normal. 
If you are still having issues after making sure your new password is stored in your Outlook settings please let me know. 

13 Messages

I am pretty computer saavy and knew that I needed to update my password in Outlook. I have done so...many times. I even reset my password AGAIN and entered the new password into Outlook. Outlook will SEND emails ( when you update Outlook you can 'test settings' and I have been able to access my emails online through Comcast.net Web Mail and the test message gets through....so I KNOW my Outlook settings are correct. Yet again this morning....Outlook will not connect to the Incoming server to get my emails into Outlook. It just keeps popping up the connect box and refuses to connect. I have double checked all settings for the incoming email server (imap.comcast.net), the port numbers etc and everything is correct. TWO different agents have told me that Xfinity is having some sort of issue but it is still not resolved as I still couldn't get my emails in Outlook this morning. I keep being told that it will be resolved in X number of hours but this has been going on now for 3 full days. Please advise.

Official Employee

• 

712 Messages

Please try removing the account fully and adding back to outlook and seeing if this helps. We generally do not troubleshoot third party issues, we ask our customers to contact that owner of that (Microsoft) for further guidance. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

13 Messages

@XfinityWilliam​ This is NOT an Outlook issue....this is an Xfinity issue. Something is wrong with your incoming email server as I am not getting any email through WebMail now. I can get in...but no emails for 2 full days? Not likely. Additionally....Outlook STILL will not connect. I had specifically asked an agent when chatting as to whether Xfinity had had some sort of breach and I was told no. Now...I see that Xfinity has had a breach and all of this mess has come about since I was basically FORCED to change my password as a result of that breach. More is going on here than meets the eye or that we are being told. I would appreciate a little honesty and clarity. I have used this email address for nearly 30 years and do not want to have to change it.

Official Employee

• 

857 Messages

Hello @jannod53, thank you for taking the time to reach out on social media.  I understand your concern with the email, and I'd like the opportunity to check into that for you.

To access your account, will you please send us a direct message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send your message
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

1 Message

I have a similar problem.   Yesterday I updated my passwords as required.   My comcast.net email accounts seemed to be working fine on both my Windows machine using Outlook, and also on my Iphone and Ipad using the IOS mail tool.   Today Outlook no longer can receive emails and wants me to reenter my user name and password.   I have verified that both are correct as are my other email settings.  My Apple devices and also my email via webmail work fine.

Nothing changed at my end.  There is a repeating pattern that Xfinity [Edited: " Language"] up mail access using Outlook. 

(edited)

13 Messages

5 months ago

Now I can’t access my other Comcast.net email that I have always used webmail to see. No new emails since 12/13. I do not have a service address as Xfinity is not available where we now live but I have had my email addresses for years..the one I use Outlook to access for over 25 years. What is going on Xfinity?

Retired Employee

• 

252 Messages

@jannod53 We would be happy to look into this and try to help with your email troubles. Could you please send our team a direct message. Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.To send a "Direct Message" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message chat" icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

2 Messages

@XfinityDanielB​ I have sent a Direct Message.

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

@user_avkkdu​ 

In the future we ask that you post your problem in the correct forum and then wait until an Official Employee requests that you send a direct message.  Doing so without that request is in violation of our Guidelines and the Acceptable Use Policy.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

13 Messages

Apparently I was logged in with my second comcast email address so the user name was different. But @user_avkkdu is the same person as jannod53. The responses I have received under Direct Messaging have been of ZERO assistance anyway. Nobody seems to actually READ the messages carefully enough to understand what the issue actual is but rather gives canned responses (check your settings etc etc) as if they are communicating with people who know absolutely NOTHING about computers etc. Currently, Outlook IS downloading my emails. I changed NOTHING so obviously it was some sort of issue that XFINITY had although they were not owning up to it and were not providing any solutions. I will keep an eye on it and see if it stays resolved. 

13 Messages

@XfinityDanielB​  Once again Outlook refuses to connect to the Xfinity incoming mail server. It worked for 2 days and now continues to ask me for my password and will not accept it or connect. I can send emails ok...I just can not receive them in Outlook.  I can connect to Web Mail but as I have previously said....I have 2 Comcast.net email addresses and I have always had my [Edited: "Personal Information"] set up in Outlook so that I do not have to sign out and sign back in in order to check email. I have responded via Direct Message and I am repeatedly asked for the physical address for my services. As I have replied several times, I no longer have a paid Xfinity account because Xfinity services are simply not available where I currently live. I was an Xfinity paid customer for a very long time in Maryland but moved to Washington State 7 years ago and Xfinity just isn't available. However, I have maintained two Comcast.net emails consistently for those 7 years, one of which I have accessed via Outlook and since the changing of my password (as instructed by Xfinity due to the breach) Outlook does not consistently connect to the incoming mail server. The password in Outlook is correct. The settings are correct. It connected for a couple of days but is now once again refusing to connect to the incoming server. Having a super hard time getting any assistance and I know that others are having the same problem.

(edited)

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 months ago

I detect a sense of frustration.  My Outlook 2019 was working fine until I was instructed by Xfinity to change my password.  Since then, after populating the Server information to specifications, and attempting to connect, the response was "something went wrong..".  I agree.  Called Support on Thursday, told they would get back to me (eventually).  

13 Messages

@rwwaters​ I was told the same thing the first time I called. That was even before they announced that they had had a 'breach'. I even ASKED directly if changing our passwords was because there had been a breach. I was told no. But honestly, I don't think Xfinity bothered to tell all their Support Reps for several days. My email would not work yesterday. This morning...it connected just fine. Very hit and miss and NO ONE seems to want to tell us what is wrong and obviously they are struggling to fix it.

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

Hello rwwaters

I would love to help get this sorted out. 

Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a Direct message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message" icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/setting-up-auto-payments

New Poster

• 

12 Messages

5 months ago

Just tried to work with a Customer Support Rep over the phone on this very issue.  We spent close to 30 minutes on it and then she patched me through to Google Gmail Support!!!  All the while I kept telling her that I was using Microsoft Office application on a Windows 10 laptop.  Sigh!  Eventually they will (quietly) fix the IMAP server incoming mail connection issue and we will all be happy... at least for a while until it breaks again. 

13 Messages

@hsherer​ They are obviously working on it....as it worked for 2 days...then stopped working yesterday, and I was able to download my email this morning.  What is bothering me most (besides the inconvenience of all this) is that I don't feel they are being honest about the extent of this 'breach' that caused all this in the first place.

Official Employee

• 

857 Messages

I understand. If you would like to know more about the incident, please visit xfinity.com/dataincident. If you have additional questions, you can also call you can reach them at 1-888-799-2560.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 months ago

Extremely frustrating. Same problem here ever since I changed my password at xfinity's requirement on 12/22. Have tried completely removing and re-setting up the account on 2 different devices, it's simply no longer connecting to xfinity's server ever since the password change. I can access my xfinity email on the (typically barely functioning) xfinity site and on my iPhone. All my other email accounts in Outlook 365 are working fine, it's clearly an xfinity problem. Seems like a pretty huge issue given Microsoft Outlook is likely the biggest 3rd party email client out there, and sounds like a known bug, is xfinity prioritizing getting this fixed?

13 Messages

@goodmonkey​ I was told to delete my account out of Outlook and then put it back in. I did that. Worked for a day and then didn't work again. I have been in Direct Message about this issue for many days and the reps keep telling me that they don't own Outlook so they are limited in their support. I KEEP telling them that this is not an Outlook issue but an Xfinity issue. They also keep asking me for the 'physical address' of my service. I have told them at least 3 times that although I was an Xfinity paid customer for YEARS (easily over 25 years) when I lived in Maryland...I moved 7 years ago to a place where Xfinity simply does not provide ANY service so there is NO such address now.  I have carefully maintained my 2 email addresses because I have had them forever and although any information on Xfinity says you can do that....it is impossible to 'manage' your account online. It is like you don't exist. It really does sound like Xfinity is not providing sufficient information to their Support Reps about the extent of this breach and its repercussions so they haven't been able to help us.

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

5 months ago

Since being FORCED to change my password I can no longer get my iphone Comcast email to receive messages.

When I try and CHANGE the password it tells me "Invalid Email Address" "Please enter a valid email address for this account".

Yet this is the same email address I have used for years until this forced change.

Poor customer service as expected.

(edited)

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

Update: I finally decided to completely delete that account from the phone and re-enter it.

That works but it seems silly that you can't just change the password in the app but maybe that is a iOS problem in this case.

13 Messages

@bwhiten​  The connection with Outlook is totally hit and miss. Works one day then not the next. It worked yesterday but this morning I had to go to Web Mail to get my email. I haven't updated the account on my Iphone yet but I know that it hasn't been able to get email since 12/13 so I suspect that is when I changed the password for that account. I was not asked to change the password for the address I download in Outlook until a few days later. I have been in Direct Message about this and they have been no help. They keep wanting to access my old Comcast account which I left 7 years ago when I moved because Xfinity is not available where we currently live. They are now saying they can't help me since they can't find my old account but my email has continued to work just fine for the last 7 years without a paid Xfinity account. No help! and no info. I honestly expect that the reps responding have not bee told the real story about why this is happening and neither have we.

Official Employee

• 

502 Messages

@bwhiten , we are glad to hear that you found a workaround to get your email working again. Should you come across further issues with your emails, definitely reach out to us for assistance here in the Community Forums page. We would be happy to help!

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

They just want you to delete the account if its free. I have had mine since comcast was new. Their support like all big companies [Edited: "Inflammatory"]

(edited)

Contributor

• 

15 Messages

5 months ago

Anyone find a actual solution to this annoying AF issue?   Been dealing with it for two weeks, deleting and adding accounts working then not working, Randomly.  Very annoying.  not a VPN issue, not a Firewall issue, its a Comcast issue.

2 Messages

I'm wondering the same thing.  It just started for me yesterday after I was forced to change my Comcast password.  Is there another setting to change?  Weird.

Official Employee

• 

329 Messages

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. Please send us a direct message with your first/last name and full address. You can start by clicking the "direct message" icon on the upper right page of the forum page. Once you click on that, input our shared handle "Xfinity Support" to send us a direct message. If you're signed in to your forums profile and because you have already posted to the public page, you should have the option to do so.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

5 months ago

I haven't received email since December 11, 2023.  This issue has affected two Windows 11 laptops and one Android Smartphone. 

The issues are just not identical.  On one laptop, I could receive, but not send, on the other I could send, but not receive.  On the Android, I could receive and not send.  On the Xfinity email website, I could do both.

IMO and being in IT for almost 30 years, I always hate to recreate a new profile in Outlook.  It just removes all associations with email addresses that were stored and would populate once I start typing.  It is what it is.  So, I created a new profile on my Windows 11 laptop using Outlook 2021.  Of course this laptop could receive and not send.  Once I reestablished the connection to the IMAP/SMTP servers, I instantly received all my emails and when I tested an outgoing email, it worked at that time.  However, that was the only time it worked.  I had an email from early yesterday morning sitting in my outbox all day.  I tried routinely to send it manually only to be told my connection to the SMTP server was interrupted.  I go to bed only to find that the email in my outbox went out around 7PM last night, without my assistance. 

I've uninstalled and reinstalled all the clients and apps, even using different apps and they all act the same.  Just annoying af like you said.  I thought for a minute it was all working.  To hear that Comcast/Xfinity is pointing at other vendors is certainly not a new phenomenon as that is almost a standard practice.  But, with everyone seeming to have the same (or similar) issues after changing their password, while at the same time using multiple/different client apps, sometimes Comcast, you just have to look at yourself and say " could it be us?" 

I've been a Comcast customer for almost 20 years having cut the cord about five years ago and now only use the email option.  To be so lax about this issue that appears to be affecting a good number of customers, you'd think we'd get some traction on this. 

1 Message

You actually directed me to my solution. I have the exact issue on two PC's and my phone. You were correct about being on your home Wi-Fi. I went to just cellular on my phone and it worked fine. I turned on Hotspot and connected laptop and it went through. Took it off went back to Wi-Fi and it once again said IMAP password was incorrect. I have a Netgear RBR50 that was set to Router mode. I set it to AP mode so that it uses the T-Mobile home internet router and bypasses the Netgear and it seems to be working better. I still occasionally get the IMAP popup but not for a couple of days. I still think Comcast has an issue. Not sure what port my Netgear is blocking with the authoritative answer but it is not coming back in through 993.  

Contributor

• 

15 Messages

5 months ago

I have found that on my iphone the issue only persists when im connected to WIFI, when its on cellular it works fine.  If my laptops is on WIFI no emails, but as soon as I tether to my cell hotspot it works.   

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

I saw where a few folks here mentioned the same thing, which makes me think it was something my router (ORBI RBRE960) or BitDefender or ESET (Antivirus, etc) did to prevent my email from functioning correctly.  But again, everyone has so many different devices/routers yet the common denominator is Comcast.  I'm going to dig into my network one more time to be sure it's not blocking something that needs to get out.  Just odd that on occasion, I can send an email.  Like a window of opportunity shows up once a day to send email.  I'll be back!

Official Employee

• 

480 Messages

@CurtisGo18Go Hello, I am happy to be of assistance. Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 months ago

I have tried every solution mentioned here. Nothing works. After being on a chat for hours today with Xfinity I was told that their “Relevant” department said it would be fixed by 4:00 pm Eastern time today. No surprise- it’s past that time and it is not fixed. I am astonished at Xfinity’s lack of communication and concern about this issue considering they did away with the Comcast email app, they had a serious data breach with little communication and they have rate hikes in store in 2024. Feels like they are digging their own grave. 

Official Employee

• 

969 Messages

@Ldeli - Thank you for leaving a comment with your shared concerns. I see your other comment on this post as well, and I would be happy to look into this further for you if you are still experiencing problems using a third party to access your Comcast emails. You are always welcome to start a new post so that our Digital Care Team can take a closer look! Just let us know what your current situation is like, and we're always here for you :)

13 Messages

4 months ago

It is/was obviously a Comcast issue although they never announced or commented on it. I tried everything that was suggested and nothing worked. Then...all of a sudden...it began to work...for a day. Then it stopped working again. I just kept checking my email on Web Mail and then all of a sudden....Outlook just started working again. I had changed NOTHING. It now has been working for nearly a week so whatever issue Comcast was having....they apparently fixed it. They should have owned up to it in the first place.

Contributor

• 

15 Messages

@jannod53​ It worked off and on then yesterday it worked, then this morning tis not again.  Still not fixed..

2 Messages

Mine worked for about a week then stopped working again today.  Logging in on the web browser first had seemed to be a connection, so I tried that again too, but it still does not work.  Weird.

Official Employee

• 

981 Messages

CurtisGo18Go, Let us know if you are still having issues with your email. We would be happy to help. 

Official Employee

• 

862 Messages

Thank you for reaching out to us here @user_lbj23i. If you are still experiencing issues with your service feel free to reach out to our team here. 

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@XfinityAngie​ He just said it WASNT working. It isn't working for most people on here. Fix the problem.

This is NOT on our end. 

Passwords have been verified, I have even uninstalled Outlook and reinstalled. IT DOES NOT WORK.

Fix the [Edited: "Language"] PROBLEM, Comcast! Your customer service [Edited: "Language"].

(edited)

1 Message

4 months ago

Same situation here. Microsoft Outlook app (Version 4.2401.0) on an iPhone 12 running iOS 17.2.1.  Comcast email has always worked just fine until I was forced to change my Comcast password. 100% sure I am using the right username and password, but attempting to add the account now is met with:

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hello and welcome to Comcast @joestef2. I am sorry to hear you are not able to access your email. You are in the right place and we are happy to assist you today.

Please send us a direct chat message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Press Enter to send your message

Let me know if you have any questions.

1 Message

4 months ago

I am having the same issues.  Once they forced me to change my xfinity password (i am assuming they had a security breach), Outlook was rendered useless.   I can use the xfinity webmail on my phone but it sucks compared to Outlook,  can't even make text bold or italics.  I called xfinity and they gave me Microsoft and an Outlook phone number.  Both were useless, never got to talk to a human and wanted phone # associated with the account, they had to send a link for, which is stupid because for one they should already have it, and two the link said it could take 2 days for the phone # to appear.   On top of that I had to change my Microsoft 365 password , which seems to be messing stuff up.  What an effing DISASTER. 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

@user_goa1ue If your Outlook password did not update automaticly for you, you can remove and re add the email to your profile. You can then re add the email address to your profile.  Use these steps to remove the email: 

1. In Outlook, click File Account Settings > Manage Profiles

2. Select Show Profiles.

3. Select a profile, then select Remove.

When setting back up use this page to make sure your settings are correct. https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/configure-outlook-express-xfinity-internet?view=app

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@XfinityAmandaB​ THIS DOES NOT WORK! I have removed and added a new profile multiple times. When I re-enter my email information in IMAP format, I am still greeted with the login. I have verified MULTIPLE times. This is NOT on our end - this is on YOUR (COMCAST's) END ......................... FIX. THE. PROBLEM. FOR. THE. LOVE. OF. GOD!

2 Messages

4 months ago

I'm having the same issue.  It states my password is wrong .  It is the new password.  Yet I can use my laptop no issue this is only on my mobile 

Official Employee

• 

712 Messages

Hello @user_amu967. Please sign out of the outlook account and sign back in. This should sync the account up.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@XfinityWilliam​ Quit with the same responses. This is not working. I, along with many others have done this and it still prompts for a username and password. Fix your settings for imap

(edited)

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Can someone Asssit???

13 Messages

4 months ago

Has everyone gotten fixed? Mine has been working for a couple of weeks now. It appears that Comcast was FINALLY able to fix whatever the problem was. However, because I deleted my account and then re-entered it, I lost one of my address books. When I attempted to link my account back to the Outlook Data File that I had been using, it kept telling me that the file was NOT an Outlook Data File....which of course was ridiculous. Pretty annoying to lose an address book with hundreds of email addresses in it.

1 Message

No, my issue just started 2 days ago.  Comcast will not update send receive.  On my phone, I can get email.  Just not on my laptop.  Password is CORRECT.  So annoying!!  I do NOT want to delete my email and re add!!  I am afraid of loosing ALL my saved emails, folders AND contacts  - I do not have them on my phone.  Any other advise since this is now 3/29/24!!

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hi, @user_igauo3. Thank you for reaching out. I hope you are well. We still have many customers that can use outlook successfully, and we can do our best to help. Can you provide more details about your situation and the devices affected?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

This is the most frustrating thing ever - I have been in IT for over 40 years and this is definitely a Comcast email sever issue - PLEASE someone from Comcast acknowledge and resolve.  I was OTP with Support and they alerted me to the new webmail login policy, OK, I missed that somehow, I logged into webmail for each of my email accts and viola it worked!  Yeh for one day then same thing - I had emails sitting in my outbox for 2 days - emails critical to my business and to a house closing...   COMCAST WAKE UP!!

Official Employee

• 

904 Messages

Hey @Curtann,

Thank you for visiting our official Xfinity Forums Community support page. We would be more than happy to assist with any email issues you may be experiencing. Have you attempted to log into the Xfinity Email portal again to see if that helps resolve the issue? Would you be able to go into the Xfinity Email settings and verify that you have "Third Party Access Security" checked? 

This will allow access to your Xfinity Connect email through third-party programs (e.g. Outlook, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, etc).

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here