XfinityBecker's profile

Official Employee

• 

496 Messages

Thursday, December 16th, 2021 9:25 PM

Closed

Xfinity Doorbell Launch and Area of Interest for Camera Motion Alerts

More great news!

We just announced the launch of our Xfinity Video Doorbell which is available via Professional Install for Xfinity Home Pro Protection customers starting today.  I have been testing it for the last few months - I love how it integrates with X1! I can see notifications along with an image of who is at my door on my phone and on TV!

Along with that announcement, we have launched a new feature called "Area of Interest," which allows you to narrow Motion Notifications to specific areas within the camera's view.  This is available on the Xfinity Video Doorbell as well as our latest generation camera, the xCam2.

Click the links below for more details!

Press Release 

Xfinity Video Doorbell - Product Overview

Limit Motion Detection to a Customized Camera Area in the Xfinity App

May 2022 Update:

The Xfinity Video Doorbell is available for self-install via a Getting Started kit in most locations for both Pro Protection and Self Protection customers, as well as Pro Protection customers with self-owned modems!

More details and FAQ's are available here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/video-doorbell

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Official Employee

• 

496 Messages

2 years ago

Hi CheckChange!

We have not determined a set launch date yet for Self-Protection, or Self-Installation options for Pro Protection customers.  I will post updates when we have information to share.

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@XfinityBecker​ A couple of quick questions - this article https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/video-doorbell states that a supported Xfinity Gateway is needed for 24/7 video recording with the new doorbell. Is that actually true? (We currently have Xfinity Home with a couple xCam2 cameras, and we use our own modem and router, and the 24/7 video recording works. Would it be different for the doorbell camera?)

2nd question - real-time motion alert push notifications from the xCam2 just recently started working for us (for a long time we could not get them because we used our own modem/router). Will real-time motion alert push notifications work for the video doorbell for us, considering that we have our own modem and router?

We're very interested in this product, but only if we are able to use all of its capabilities with our own modem and router.

Thanks!

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hey, @Zivheads! Thank you for taking the time to reach out and being part of the Xfinity family. It is required and shouldn't work, if it is working for you that's great, but it's not designed to. If you are in bridge mode the push notification will not work.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

• 

496 Messages

I wanted to provide some quick clarification. 

Customers with xCams and their own Internet equipment are fully supported.  During this initial launch phase, the Xfinity Doorbell does require the use of a Leased Xfinity Gateway - but we do have plans to make it compatible with customer owned Internet equipment as well. Once that becomes available, we will also be able to confirm the answer to your question on push notification functionality.

We'll make sure to post updates here as product enhancements are released!

Contributor

• 

483 Messages

2 years ago

I’m a Xfinity Home customer with the appropriate router rented from xfinity. I have several xfinity cameras with 24/7 video recording. We had no electric outlet at our front door so we had to purchase and install a Ring doorbell. To view anything not live  I pay an extra fee to Ring. I’ve found that this doorbell is slow and I miss many rings to my iPhone so notifications are late but our doorbell chime rings. It’s a hardwired Ring and we installed an updated transformer so it would connect to our WiFi and work properly. Does the xfinity doorbell work  with that 25V transformer, can it be installed on brick and mortar, do you have a sample of video, does it have a fish eye lens or wide angle lens? Also will it record from my 24/7 plan or will I have to pay extra. How much is the installation? 

Official Employee

• 

496 Messages

@lkpolovchik​ - great questions!

Here are some answers that might help.

• The xFi Gateway is a requirement right now, so you're good to go there

• I have been testing the Video Doorbell for several months, and often my phone and doorbell chime are going off at the same exact second - so you should experience very little latency on notifications with our product

• The Video Doorbell requires a transformer that operates between 16-24 volts (VAC).  Double check the specs on your transformer - it might operate within those parameters. If needed, a multimeter could be used by you or an electrician to measure actual voltage.  This is also something our technician would check if you decided to set up an installation.

• Our technician would make the determination if the location you would like to install the doorbell is viable, but often if we are replacing an existing doorbell, we'll be able to use the same location (including brick and mortar).

• I don't have a sample video to share, but quality is on par with our xCam2.  The difference will be the aspect ratio, which will be 4:3 instead of 16:9 (and gives you that "fish-eye" look), so we can capture video "head to toe."

• If you already pay for 24/7 video, it would not cost extra - we include up to 6 cameras with 24/7 video and the doorbell counts as one of those cameras.  It would also appear on your Touchscreen and be viewable from X1 or Flex like your other cameras.

• Installation fees might vary by area, so I would suggest contacting us to see what the cost would be.

Contributor

• 

483 Messages

Thank you for that information. I have no electrical outlet by my front door and a Ring was the only solution. If I can get an electrician to install and outlet I may just do an Xcam. 

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

You're welcome, @lkpolovchik! in the meantime, would you like us to follow up with you to set up an installation appointment for that Xcam?

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

The Video Doorbell requires a transformer that operates between 16-24 volts (VAC)"--is an amperage recommended? The transformer buzzed loudly when the doorbell was activated and video went dark after installation and did not work thereafter. I was advised by the tech that my 16V 10va transformer needed to be replaced.

Should  I purchase one with a higher va rating?

Official Employee

• 

496 Messages

2 years ago

A quick update...

The Xfinity Video Doorbell is available for self-install via a Getting Started kit in most locations for both Pro Protection and Self Protection customers, as well as Pro Protection customers with self-owned modems!

More details and FAQ's are available here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/video-doorbell

(edited)

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

"The Video Doorbell requires a transformer that operates between 16-24 volts (VAC)"--is an amperage recommended?

Official Employee

• 

496 Messages

@Anotherbrickinthewall​ 

The optimal recommendation is a 16VAC 30VA (Volt-Amp) transformer.

Contributor

• 

483 Messages

2 years ago

I have an existing 16-24 transformer. It was installed when the Ring was installed, but the Ring is garbage.  It mostly works if I’m in WiFi somewhere, but my back porch Xfinity Xcam 2 gives me instant notification out on the road using cellular service. I need a video doorbell to work the same way. Plus it needs incorporated into my Xfinity Home app with recording covered by that same $10 a month. Ring just increased their price by $10 a year and the last time I renewed it that credit card was hacked for an amazon purchase not made by anyone in my family. I just stayed at someone’s house that was full of Alexa type devices. The large screen literally followed me around the room. 

Official Employee

• 

496 Messages

@lkpolovchik​ 

It sounds like our Video Doorbell might be a good solution for you then!  I know I have been very happy with it.  Plus, since you already subscribe to 24/7 recording, it will definitely save you some money in the long run.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

What if I don't care about the ring feature and don't care about a chime box, can I still use the video doorbell just for live video, recording, and notification purposes?

Official Employee

• 

943 Messages

@user_c5c220, that's a great question! The Xfinity Video Doorbell supports existing Xfinity Camera features: weather-resistant IP 55 rating, 1080p HD video, crystal clear night vision, motion notifications, two-way audio and access to live and recorded video through the Xfinity app and Xfinity X1 platform. In addition, the Xfinity Video Doorbell offers doorbell ring notifications and a wider 4:3 aspect ratio that allows you to see more of your doorstep. This device is installed professionally* and powered using the existing wiring in your home. The features that come with the doorbell are:

• Monitor your front door from wherever you are through the Xfinity app.
  • Get notified of activity at your front door right on your TV through X1 or Xfinity Flex.
  • Seamlessly integrate the Xfinity Video Doorbell with your existing Xfinity Home system.
  • Never miss another delivery with the Xfinity Video Doorbell, which provides two-way audio for clear communication to anyone who comes to your door.
  • Get a better view of your doorstep with 4:3 aspect ratio.

You choose what features you want to use or not. Please let me know if that was helpful. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here