sandyandy's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

Closed

ROKU, HBO GO

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

Regular Contributor

• 

91 Messages

12 years ago

Heh If people could pay for the individual channels they wanted then providers would be forced to air stuff people want. They would also be forced to give comercial free access to all of it for a fee or Limited comercials for a reduced price. There should also be yearly subscriptions available as well...

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

12 years ago

Well I got a little closer yesterday to have HBO GO on my roku at home, actually it is on my Roku now. Playon.TV now supports HBO GO, and you can watch Playon content from a networked device at your home. It's not perfect but better then nothing or hooking up a PC.

Comcast people will still get their content on the big screen just let it go.

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

@jhusosky:

Have you actually been able to watch HBOGO this way?  Comcast isn't blocking HBOGO via Playon?

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Gave up on Comcast for tv and switched over to Dish this past weekend.  The only way I see them adding Roku support for HBO Go at this point is if enough customers like myself switch providers.  I was sure to mention the reasons for switching when I told them I was dropping cable tv with them.

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

12 years ago

Since PlayOn uses a PC web browser to connect they can't block it. Much like how Google TV works because it's an Android browser and the registration only sees that.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Good to know.  Thanks

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

Comcast supports HBO GO on PlayOn, and it's on (free) PlayOn Lite for a limited time. After that, the regular PlayOn is a fee service. All PlayOn must stream from a PC (no MAC) on the same network, so it's really not much different than streaming HBO GO directly from your PC to your tv. You might have trouble with wireless streaming, if either of your devices are far from the router. In any case, I cannot imagine ever paying for PlayOn just to get HBO GO from my PC.

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

12 years ago

Already had PlayOn so being able to use it with the Roku for HBOGO is great.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Do you need your pc turned on to use PLay ON or does it just use the Roku?

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

12 years ago

PlayOn is a media server software so it is required to be running to stream any content to the Roku. For people new to Roku this is also an alterative for streaming YouTube to your Roku. I also use it to view regular Hulu for free since the Roku only has access to Hulu Prime.

Anything you can do with PlayOn and Roku can be done with a PC/Laptop hooked up to your TV but the second option is not very user friendly for my wife, pre-school child or my parents and inlaws so for us it works well. 

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

I know that Comcast does not support HBOgo on smart TVs and I am wondering why not? Your top competitors do. I just upgraded TVs to a Samsung smart TV and signed up for HBO to have access to 3D movies and to learn that my service provider does not support downloading the HBOgo app is frustrating since I am paying for it. It would be great customer service for Comcast to consider this option.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

where does it say comcast in that article link you sent?  

Regular Contributor

• 

91 Messages

12 years ago

So thats it ?!  Play on also costs to have. so you will pay another $5 a month to watch HBOGO ?

So comcast gets away with still giving nothing except for popping it up the ol wazoo of the customers ?

Maybe comcast should be voted president.

then all they would have to do is keep quiet and give nothing and we would all believe the economy was fixed.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

12 years ago

PlayOn had a Thanksgiving sale this year and I picked up the Life time $30 more then the annual fee. 

I still want to be able to use my HBOGO app on my roku since I can only view via PlayOn at home and not at work when I am here on weekends doing system maintenance or while traveling.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here