My wife has been having the problem for about three or four days and came to me with the issue. Here is what I did this morning and it seems to work. We use Outlook and so I set up a few rules to move the message into the "Junk" folder when it arrives. If you look at the url of the incoming emails, I selected a few common "words" and by clicking on the message with the right mouse button, selecting "Rules" and then selecting the message options you can create a list of those words (apparently some are foreign) that are in the sending url data. Some seem to be in each one I looked at near the beginning. I then ran the rule against the emails sitting in the inbox and it removed all of them. If you don't know how to use the "Rules" function use your search engine or go to Microsoft if you have Outlook. In addition, you might, very carefully, pick words that are in the Subject line and set rules to remove them as well but you might accidentally block other emails you would want to get if this rule is applied generally. I would not recommend doing this for most people.
... View more