Well it may not be that be that b is required, but an issue with how the protocol is being executed or some other flaw in the devices firmware, but non the less the issue is real and the solution seems to have worked. However these are by no means old devices that where having issues. The full list of problem devices are a iPhone 7 & 8, a pixel 3, a PS4, a Nintendo switch, and one of my TVs (which is old). I have made this change and this issue that persisted through two routers seems to have stopped. The real point of this post is I get frustrated with these proprietary devices and services, when there is a tough issue there never seems to be attempts at troubleshooting, as was the case with the linked article. I just wanted to post what seems to be a solution for me to an issue that has plagued my home network.
... View more
Over the last year I have been struggling with an issue with my WiFi where some devices that have been previously connect have the “wrong password “ despite the fact this is not the case. A reboot often causes the issue to stop for a bit however the issue always resurfaces. I have of course called to have a tech out. He told me it was my inside wiring which is absurd as there is no point in which the authentication between your wireless access point and your device requires to send any data over the wiring. I can unplug all wires except the power and still connect to my network via WiFi. I sent the tech home as he clearly had no idea on a solution and I had my modem replaced. And the issue persisted. I have searched the internet for a solution which led me to an article in this community which was closed with no solution provided to the person who was seriously upset, and trust me I know how he feels. Here is the article https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Unable-to-join-my-own-wifi-incorrect-password-but-it-s/td-p/3060474 I am starting this topic so I can provide a real solution to this issue since the closest thing to a “solution” on the other topic was to just get a new modem. The solution I found was that on my modem for some reason it was set to 802.11 g/n instead of 802.11 b/g/n I changed this under the advanced network setting of my XFI app, my wireless radios restarted on my router and then boom it’s been three days with zero issues.
... View more