It's been a couple weeks since Xfinity wireless rolled out 8.0 to my Samsung Galaxy S8. I downloaded it overnight that night and installed it the next day. After that upgrade, the phone lost its ability to connect to xfinitywifi and XFINITY hotspots. It gets stuck on "connecting" and if you sit and watch it long enough, it'll show the following error: "failed to obtain IP address". I did quite a bit of research on what could be causing it and even spent some time on the phone with Comcast support and they advised me to do many of the things I'd tried before, such as performing a network reset. In the end they just connected me to Samsung and told me that I would be best served by taking it directly to them at their kiosk in Best Buy. I decided against that and just waited for a hotfix to come through. Today I decided to head down to a brick and mortar Xfinity store to see if I could get to the bottom of this and ask if it was a known issue. After about an hour of hand-wringing and walking back through the troubleshooting steps I'd already done, the employee told me that since I hadn't purchased insurance I was on the hook for a new phone. Excuse me, what? This is a last-ditch effort before I just trade this phone in to Samsung and get a different one since apparently Xfinity's trade-in program gives you peanuts.
tl;dr: if you're still reading, thank you. Here's what I know and what I don't know
1) After Android 8.0 update, connecting to xfinitywifi and XFINITY hotspots does not work
2) Connecting to any other kind of WiFi works just fine. Whether it's my Wireless APs in the office, Chick-Fil-A WiFi (or anything that requires you to connect to a page, click a box, and accept terms)
3) Core functionality of the phone is otherwise unaffected. Phone calls, texts, internet browsing, all of that is fine.
4) I tried any troubleshooting that I could find just short of hard resetting the phone, until...
5) While in the store, we also tried performing a hard reset on the phone, which did not resolve the issue
Has anyone else run into this issue? Is my only option REALLY to buy a different phone for something that is a core feature of the service and is broke because of a software update that I didn't have any control over?
Thanks in advance.
... View more