Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

xfinitywifi public hotspots not connecting "Failed to obtain IP address"

New Poster

xfinitywifi public hotspots not connecting "Failed to obtain IP address"

Its been a couple of months now but when I try to connect my galaxy tab A to the public xfinitywifi hotspot I get "Failed to obtain IP address".  the weird thing about this is that this only happens when I'm at work.  When I get home I can connect to xfinitywifi no problem.  Does anyone know what would be causing me to get "failed to obtain IP address" when I'm at work but not at home.  Also to add another layer of confusion my phone will connect to the xfinitywifi hotspot when I'm at work or home or anywhere in between.  Just my tablet if giving me this issue when I'm at work.

Official Employee

Re: xfinitywifi public hotspots not connecting "Failed to obtain IP address"

king12yan, hmmm that is pretty peculiar. Well we know there isn't a physical issue with the hotspot as if there were, then your iPhone wouldn't be able to connect. There might be a black list for your MAC address. Have you tried forgetting the network and then readding the network on your tablet?

KenF

New Poster

I have tried to forget it and re-add it it still does the same thing.

New Poster

Having the exact same issue. Did you ever find a fix? My laptop or my phone is able to connect. I get the fail to obtain IO address messahe on both devices.

HELP!!!!!!!

king12yan wrote:

I have tried to forget it and re-add it it still does the same thing.

New Poster

I've done the same thing, been a week. Comcast keeps telling me that I need to hook my box up. It has nothing to do with my box...why? I know 3 different logins from family members and none of them work. None work on my device in any area of my city of Harrisburg PA although there's thousands and thousands of hot spots in the area. Nothing's resolved yet. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH MY WIFI BOX because it worked fiiiiiiine until one day it magically stopped working. Screen shots below. Even when forgetting the network it won't work. My laptop also will not connect to it. I have to use my grandma's FIOS WiFi when I am at her house....so how does that look? lol
Screenshot_20180322-215918.png
Screenshot_20180322-215940.png
Screenshot_20180322-215843.png
Screenshot_20180322-215854.png
Screenshot_20180322-215924.png
Screenshot_20180322-215849.png