Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

xfinity wifi.....ZZzzzzz so slow its useless. Can anyone even load a page?

New Poster

xfinity wifi.....ZZzzzzz so slow its useless. Can anyone even load a page?

Whats the point in the xfinity wifi?

Is anyone able to use Xfinity Wifi? Its so slow it took over a minute to load comcasts own web page, if it does even load, and not timed out.

Accoding to Xfinity's speed test i just ran im getting

ping to San Jose,CA... idk why when i live in Denver but anyway...

ping 54 m/s D/L 6.12 M/s  U/l 1.74 M/s

and to Denver

ping 16 m/s D/L 7.6M/s U/L 1.45 Ms... i think.... it never finished!

Sorry Xfinity calling BS on these numbers It took three attempts to get the Denver numbers (kinda) because it was so slow that the applet timed out.

Why are the numbers padded? If  the above speeds are tru there would  not be website load crashes, time outs and freezes. And forget about even connecting to Xfinity live stream or Netflix. What a joke. cant even use what i pay for. =(.

Problem Solver

Re: xfinity wifi.....ZZzzzzz so slow its useless. Can anyone even load a page?

to test bandwidth you're actually getting with Comcast, put the Gateway in Bridged mode, connect the PC directly to the gateway using Ethernet cable, then re-start the gateway, then test.

the in home network, (setting up & using & results), both wireless & wired is the customers responsibility.

yep, there are lots of negative reports about the wireless in the gateways they provide,  

So it's generally a good idea to put the gateways in bridged mode & connect your own quality wireless router to the gateway.

New Poster

I agree. If they wifi will be this slow I need other options. i pay entirely too much for your services to get the worst speed possible. Dial up was better than this. At least it connected consistantly

New Poster

I agree, i have the blast package at home. the speeds when its consistant are good. Howerver i have ran into a lot of lag issues lately. My previos statement about the "xfinitywifi" logging into a hotspot when not at home is where its terrible. Not only that, the speed test is just a lie. 6M/s is more than capable of running a speed test or loading a simple text email or webpage quickly and without errors.

Frequent Visitor

If you have ne of the newer comcst provided Modem Router combo units are you connecting the the SSID labled "xfinitywifi" or the other one ( the SSID that is printed on a yellow orange sticer that will be on the side of the modem)?  Becouse the "xfinity" wi fi ( or public hotspot) one is in FACT much slower by design than the private one.  Here is a link to an AWESOME article that will explaing how the newest Comcast Wi Fi combo routers work..    Hopeit helps

http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/16/technology/security/comcast-wifi-hotspot/

here is a great article on how to better secure said modem/router 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2363389/to-xfinity-wifi-were-all-hotspots-but-you-dont-have-to-be.htm...

New Poster

I took my laptop over to the router to connect it by cable. Just for the heck of it I tried the internet n wifi. Bam, it worked fine. My friend was having the same problem. I told her and she tried it. Same result. Crazy part is she had been good for about 8 months, then all of a sudden it got real slow. I'm brand new to Comcast. Let's spread the word and get lots of users to give this a whirl. Eventually Comcast will have to admit they did something t screw this up.

Frequent Visitor

If your connecting directly to the router or modem then you or on the "private" or "personal" side of things. THat WILL get you the speed your supposed to be getting.   If your connecting to the SSID labeld "xfinitywifi"  that is the PUBLIC side and it IS LIMITED to a MAX of 15MBs.    

New Poster

15 M/sec is more than able to load a webpage or text email. xfinitywifi has trouble with both of these