Community Forum

xfinity wifi - 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

Frequent Visitor

xfinity wifi - 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

are xfinity hotspots broadcasting at 2.4, or at 5Ghz?

is that 802.11n, or 802.ac, or..?

thanks.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: xfinity wifi - 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

There is only one SSID, so if it was dual-band, you wouldn't be able to access it.

xfinitywifi works with any device, regardless of what wifi the device supports.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks.  I'm just looking to buy a good wifi adapter and I don't know what kind I need.  Some say dual band, some 2.4Ghz, some 5Ghz.  Some 802.11ac., or 802.11n, etc.

So any and all the above will work?

Diamond Problem Solver

If your talking about your own Comcast supplied gateway, see this post on what model's have what features including dual band.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-compare/

If your at home, you should be connecting to your own HOME-xxxx network, which can be either 2.4 and / or 5 depending on the model.  You should not be connecting to the xfinitywifi from your home, even if it's your gateway device.  

Silver Problem Solver

@JayInAlg wrote:

The xfinitywifi signal, no matter if it's coming from a home gateway, a inside business gateway or the outside strand mounted devices all only transmit in the 2.4 band.

Strangely though in my area, I see one xfinitywifi hotspot transmitting on 5GHz.

Edit; Wasn't aware of this, but business gateways can use dual band for xfinitywifi hotspots:

https://businesshelp.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/comcast-business-wireless-gateway-overvie...

Silver Problem Solver

@Paraniod wrote:

@JayInAlg wrote:

The xfinitywifi signal, no matter if it's coming from a home gateway, a inside business gateway or the outside strand mounted devices all only transmit in the 2.4 band.

Strangely though in my area, I see one xfinitywifi hotspot transmitting on 5GHz.

Edit; Wasn't aware of this, but business gateways can use dual band for xfinitywifi hotspots:

https://businesshelp.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/comcast-business-wireless-gateway-overvie...

That's nice to know about.  Thanks.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Just to update the thread:

I'm now seeing other Comcast HOME_xxxx networks and their associated xfinitywifi hotspots showing up on wireless AC. (have my adapter set to AC only). So I think it would indicate the new XB3 dual band gateways are broadcasting the xfinitywifi hotspots on both 2.4 and 5GHz. (if there was any doubt).

Contributor

Not sure what 

Expert

Year old dead thread now being closed. Please feel free to create a new topic detailing your issue.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!