Community Forum

xb6 eth2 keeps dropping

New Poster

xb6 eth2 keeps dropping

The xfinity xb6 gateway only has 2 ethernet ports (eth1 and eth2).  My desktop computer is plugged into eth1 and my laser printer is plugged into eth2.  During the past month my printer went off-line for no apparent reason. There were no lights on eth2 so it was definitely dead.  I plugged the printer's ethernet cable into eth1 and it indicated a good connection.  I plugged it back into eht2 and there were no lights.

I called tech support and they remotely reset the gateway. After the reboot completed, both ethernet ports were active again.

Any ideas what may be happening?  Comcast wants to charge me $40 to come out and replace the xb6.

Expert

Re: xb6 eth2 keeps dropping

1 ). The XB6 may somehow have gone in to bridge mode (which disables port number 2). When the device is reset, it defaults to going back in to router / gateway mode.

2 ). There may be a problem with the gateway firmware load / port number 2 which the reset cleared up.

If you want to try swapping it out, you can bring it in to your nearest Comcast store and avoid the tech charge.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!