Community Forum

xb3 or xb6?

Regular Contributor

xb3 or xb6?

I have the technicolor CGM4140COM wireless gateway.  I'm told by comcast that it is the XB6 model.  However, after setting up it, when I go to choose the network for my phone or on my tv for the roku, etc, the network shows up as XB3 on the list of available wireless networks.  I've looked to verify which model is XB3 and which is XB6 and see differing pictures though, to be honest, there are very few articles with the picture and when I find a picture, they do not refer to it being XB3 or XB6.  They usually just say technicolor or Arris and just now on a 55-minute chat, she refers to it as an XB6 with docsis  3.1   

Can anyone help clear up my question about which model I have and if it is an XB6, why it is naming itself XB3?

Thank you ;-)

Valued Contributor

Re: xb3 or xb6?

@dogmadre wrote:

I have the technicolor CGM4140COM wireless gateway.  I'm told by comcast that it is the XB6 model.  However, after setting up it, when I go to choose the network for my phone or on my tv for the roku, etc, the network shows up as XB3 on the list of available wireless networks.  I've looked to verify which model is XB3 and which is XB6 and see differing pictures though, to be honest, there are very few articles with the picture and when I find a picture, they do not refer to it being XB3 or XB6.  They usually just say technicolor or Arris and just now on a 55-minute chat, she refers to it as an XB6 with docsis  3.1   

Can anyone help clear up my question about which model I have and if it is an XB6, why it is naming itself XB3?

Thank you ;-)

Your Technicolor is the XB6. 

Silver Problem Solver

@dogmadre wrote:

Thank you ;-)

***Validated Best Answer as of 04/2019***

There are is some great information with images about the different Comcast modems here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Internet/ANSWERED-Comcast-Modem-Wireless-Gateway-Device-Feature/ta-p/3...

You can also view additional information about Comcast modems here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/broadband-gateways-userguides

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@dogmadre wrote:

why it is naming itself XB3?

Hmmm... Are you saying that "XB3" is part of the network broadcast name (SSID) that you see in your list of available WiFi networks ? If so, I have never seen or heard of that ? It's not part of the default name (HOME-XXXX-2.4 or 5)

X=various numerals and letters.

-unless it's been manually changed from default. Are you sure it's coming from your gateway ? Could it be a neighbor ? If it is your's, can't you change it ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Thank you for confirming this.  

Michelle

Regular Contributor

Hello @EG , thanks for taking the time to reply. 

Yes, when I look at my list of available networks it shows XB3 and when I click on it and enter my password for my XB6 CMG4140COM gateway, it activates that network.  I see it on my phone, Roku, Tv, etc.   I don't know how or why it is doing this but it makes me wonder.  

Expert

What is the exact and complete SSID. Please post it.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@EG where do I look to share this with you?

Michelle

Expert

Use whatever device / computer you use to view the available to you WiFi networks.

Regular Contributor

@EG  this is a screenshot of my available networks.  you will see the XB3 at the bottom as they are alphabetical.  For some reason, the xfinitywifi always floats to the top.  I was able to remove it completely at one point but it showed up months later.  Anyway, you will see it in the attached screenshot of the list.  Only the XB3 and the xfinitywifi are mine, the rest are neighbors.

Michelle

Available Networks.png
Expert

Are you sure that that one is yours ? Have you cross-proven it by unplugging your gateway and seeing if it disappears, and then plugging it back in and seeing if it reappears ?

Regular Contributor

@EG I would think it is mine since my password has worked on each device I've set up using this.  How would my password open a neighbor's network?

If I delete it, as you suggest, is it easy to re-establish it?  

Michelle

Expert

I did not suggest for you to "delete it".. please re-read my last post for the test that I suggested for you to try.

And yes, I hear you on the password thing !

Valued Contributor

I would suggest rather than eliminate it just go in the modem utility and rename it and put the security on it. I assume the Xfinitywifi is your hotspot and not your secure SSID. So you should have two SSID's one for 2.4 and one for 5Mhz unless they are both named the same thing. 

I don't know for sure but could it be that the gateway may have been used by a previous customer and they renamed the SSID and that is why it is showing XB3?

Regular Contributor

Hi @WindsurfMaui I've wondered the same thing.  We all know that they refurbish the various devices when returned and then release again.  So maybe that is what happened.  

Thanks for your ideas ;-)

Expert

There is indeed a method to my madness....

OP If you do "re-name" it, just be advised that you will have to re-associate all your network devices with it again.

Regular Contributor

Hi @EG  so I reread your post and have actually unplugged my gateway at least twice this evening as I was cleaning my desk... dang they get dusty behind the devices etc, and each time when I restart it, the name is XB3.  I looked on the xfinity website about renaming it and if I do, I have to reset all the various places I have my wireless network set up.. TVs, roku, etc.  So I may live with the weird name for now.  I'm having difficulty with my internet dropping and had comcast out to my home Thursday evening.  A nice tech came and was very patient and helpful.  He changed out some splitters on the outside of my house.  The system showed droppage before he got here and he ran some test devices on the cable coming in, etc, and said there were issues but he thought he sorted them out.  I've lost internet 3 times today, but one may have been me bumping the gateway when moving things around.  If it keeps up, maybe I'll switch out this gateway for another one.  

At this point, I'm off to bed as I've been doing work on my computer all day and evening.  My brain cells are curling up in the fetal position, begging for some rest so must heed their call ;-)

Thanks for staying with me and my Gateway with a split personality 

Michelle

Expert

@dogmadre wrote:

Hi @EG  so I reread your post and have actually unplugged my gateway at least twice this evening as I was cleaning my desk... dang they get dusty behind the devices etc, and each time when I restart it, the name is XB3.  e

O/k as a FWIW, and for clarity, I wasn't telling you to unplug the gateway to see if the name would change, because it won't. I wanted for you to see if the name disappeared for as long as you kept it unplugged and then return when you plugged it back in. That was what the test was about . This all appears to be moot at this point now anyway. I wish you the best of luck with this ! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@dogmadre wrote:

Hi @EG  so I reread your post and have actually unplugged my gateway at least twice this evening as I was cleaning my desk... dang they get dusty behind the devices etc, and each time when I restart it, the name is XB3.  I looked on the xfinity website about renaming it and if I do, I have to reset all the various places I have my wireless network set up.. TVs, roku, etc.  So I may live with the weird name for now.  I'm having difficulty with my internet dropping and had comcast out to my home Thursday evening.  A nice tech came and was very patient and helpful.  He changed out some splitters on the outside of my house.  The system showed droppage before he got here and he ran some test devices on the cable coming in, etc, and said there were issues but he thought he sorted them out.  I've lost internet 3 times today, but one may have been me bumping the gateway when moving things around.  If it keeps up, maybe I'll switch out this gateway for another one.  

At this point, I'm off to bed as I've been doing work on my computer all day and evening.  My brain cells are curling up in the fetal position, begging for some rest so must heed their call ;-)

Thanks for staying with me and my Gateway with a split personality 

Michelle

I'm not a tech so take my advice cauctiously.  If your main system is out of the Comcast line "range" (-4 - +4, if I remember correctly) then they should put an amplifier on your line after it enters the house. Not particularly hard to do.

If the main line is in balance and proper strength and you are dropping the Wifi signal then I gues they should put in their range extenders that I guess they call  'pods". At least that is what they call them in their TV ads.

Expert

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

If your main system is out of the Comcast line "range" (-4 - +4, if I remember correctly) .

It's -8 to + 10 dB.

Downstream Power Levels: -8dBmV to  +10dBmV

Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR):  >35dB 

Upstream Power Level:  +25dBmV to +54dBmV

Upstream Signal to Noise Ratio (uSNR): >31dB  

Upstream Receive Power: -2dBmV to +2dBmV

Regular Contributor

@WindsurfMaui   

When you say If your main system is out of the Comcast line "range"

what do you mean?  Can you clarify what my 'main system' is?  And then what is the 'Comcast line range?  Is that from the pole or where the line comes off the pole?  This sounds interesting and I'd want to better understand this before I bring it up with a tech.

Thank you!

Michelle

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

I'm not a tech so take my advice cauctiously.  If your main system is out of the Comcast line "range" (-4 - +4, if I remember correctly) then they should put an amplifier on your line after it enters the house. Not particularly hard to do.

If the main line is in balance and proper strength and you are dropping the Wifi signal then I gues they should put in their range extenders that I guess they call  'pods". At least that is what they call them in their TV ads.

Expert

@dogmadre wrote:

@WindsurfMaui   

When you say If your main system is out of the Comcast line "range"

what do you mean?  Can you clarify what my 'main system' is?  And then what is the 'Comcast line range?  Is that from the pole or where the line comes off the pole?  This sounds interesting and I'd want to better understand this before I bring it up with a tech.

Thank you!

Michelle

Too many cooks muddy the waters...

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Regular Contributor

@EG  so I had the wireless on and the list of networks within range.  There are a LOT of them.  They are all lock with a pw requirement so that is good for my neighbors.  I unplugged the gateway and the list stayed static with now changes.  I turned the wireless off on my iMac and the list disappeared, of course.  I then turned the wireless back on.  The list repopulated without the XB3.  I waited some time and it never showed up again.  I plugged the gateway back in and within maybe 2 minutes or so the XB3 network reappeared.  So it would seem to confirm that it is my network.  Thanks for this suggestion which if I can remember it, will help me down the road.

Thanks again for all your help.  I'm not sure if I will go to the trouble to rename it due to the need to reset all the devices.  If I do, it won't be today!  LOL

Have a good Sunday,

Michelle

Expert

O/k but how about the question in my last post : "What do the modem's signal stats look like ?"

Do you not want to answer it / troubleshoot further ?

Regular Contributor

@EG 

the first link would not work, just an FYI said the server isn't responding.  The second link did work and is asking me to log in to the gateway to see details.  I assume I need to do this to get the info that you requested.  I do keep good notes on my logins, etc,  and yet I do not see a username or a pw for a gateway log in.  I tried the network name of XB3 and my wireless pw but that didn't work.  Can I find my gateway username somewhere in my system?

michelle

@EG wrote:

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 8.41.49 AM.png
Regular Contributor

I don't see any stat's on that page.  I am assuming I have to log in to see the stats and none of my log in attempts have worked so I'm asking where I find my gateway user name and password.  I'm happy to share, I just don't know how to get to it.

Michelle

Expert

Username: admin
Password: password (case-sensitive, all lower case)

You will be forced to change that password upon first successful login.

When you are able to get in:
Connection > Xfinity Network

Valued Contributor

Comcast has a range of signal strength and consistency in order for your services to work properly. So they have a requirement from the pole to their main box on the outside of your home. Then you are required to maintain the range via the system inside your home. One factor is using the right wire spec on any wiring inside your home. Another is how many times the wiring pulls are split which effects the signal strength. Of course, most of us as customers have no knowledge of any of these factors let alone control them. But Comcast can help by using some of their other tools like an amplifier to strengthen the signal inside the house if needed or adding Pods to wifi deadspots inside the house.

Having gone through this myself I understand how frustrating this is. And as Comcast adds better services like HD and above picture quality it makes the range of signal strength and consistency even narrower and more difficult to maintain for both Comcast and the users like us.

And after all your work it may just be a bad XB6 box.  My experience over many years has been when there is a problem do a hard reboot or refresh. If that doesn't work swap the box for a new one and those two will solve about 90% of all the problems I ever had.  I have a couple of times worked with various levels of Comcast technical CSR's over days trying to track down a problem that we couldn't solve only to find that when I swapped the box the problem just disappeared. Although these boxes are not mechanical and don't have moving parts they do wear out. Who knew?

EQ seems to be on the right track. I hope you can get your system to work the way you want.

Regular Contributor

@EG 

It is only letting me post one screenshot to this message for some reason so this reply has the upstream info and I'll post the other one in a second reply

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 11.04.30 AM.png
Regular Contributor

@EG 

here is the downstream info

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 11.04.15 AM.png
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@WindsurfMaui 

Thank you for your wisdom, I like to learn as much as I can so I do appreciate hearing what issues others have had and what tips, questions, and solutions have worked or not worked ;-)

My DVR is SOOOO loud that I'd sure like to switch it out!  LOL

Thank you again,

Michelle

Valued Contributor

Thanks, I agree with your philosophy.

I recently added a second DVR. I know crazy but just too much stuff  and  not enough time to view it. In any event new DVR will work with 4K TV's so matched it up to the new  4K TV in living room, even though there are no programs being transmitted in 4K outside of Netflix that I know of, and moved old DVR to bedroom and only then noticed how loud the fan is. May have to swap it for another new version except it has the recent Superbowl on it and don't want to lose that game.  :>)

Regular Contributor

@WindsurfMaui 

My recordings live on the cloud so swapping out isn't an issue.  That came with my last DVR switch and I'm so glad! I used to hate switching one out because I'd lose my shows.  Are you in an area that offers your recordings to be kept on the cloud?  

Michelle

in Seattle

Valued Contributor

I'm in the Boston area. I have the cloud but I have been told the cloud only keeps recording for 1 year. After that it is lost. I want to keep this Superbowl recording and some others longer than that if I can. but I suspect I will have to buy a DVD of it eventually.

Regular Contributor

@WindsurfMaui   I had not heard that about the year but it makes sense really, from their standpoint.  

m  

Valued Contributor

I prefer they just allocate us space and show us how much space each program takes and we can then keep or felete programs no matter how old they are.

Are you aware of any way to hook up to the DVR or TV a flash or SSD drive so I can keep programs forever?

Expert

All. This thread seems to be drifting off topic.... Let's please stay on the original topic. There are other boards here for the discussion of TV related issues, thank you.

Expert

@dogmadre wrote:

@EG 

here is the downstream info

Stats are o/k so far. Please post a pic(s) of the remainder of the downstream channels. You posted a pic of only 5 of the downstream channels.

Valued Contributor

Yes it is difficult to see that there is a page slider on the bottom that allows us to see the rest of the channels. 

Regular Contributor

@EG That is all that shows on my window.  @WindsurfMaui was kind enough to mention a hard to find slider and it IS hard to find.  I've moved my cursor all around the window and cannot find a way to extend the list.  I've posted a screenshot of my window, showing the box above and below the downstream box.  You can see that the downstream box doesn't have a white bar on the far right.  However, when I put my cursor there, nothing happens.  I clicked on the title of downstream, etc and nothing changes, no option to see a longer list appears.  Can you give me directions on how to see more items to share with you?

Michelle

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 11.46.23 AM.png
Expert

You could try making your browser window smaller by pressing and holding the ctrl key and tapping the minus key. This may make the horizontal sliding / scrolling bar appear below the downstream channels. Press the ctrl key and tap the + plus key to make it larger again. 

Regular Contributor

@EG 

here is Downstream 5-10

Downstream 5-10.png
Regular Contributor

@EG 

Here is Downstream 11 -16

Downstream 11-16.png
Regular Contributor

@EG 

Here is Downstream 17-22

Downstream 17-22.png
Regular Contributor

@EG 

Here is Downstream 23-28

Downstream 23-28.png
Regular Contributor

@EG 

Here is Downstream 28-end

Downstream 28 to end.png
Expert

O/k so all the signal stats are fine so it doesn't appear that you have any problem with the general connection to the Comcast system as another poster made you aware of that you may.

This is in regards to your posting of this earlier statement;

" I'm having difficulty with my internet dropping and had comcast out to my home Thursday evening.  A nice tech came and was very patient and helpful.  He changed out some splitters on the outside of my house.  The system showed droppage before he got here and he ran some test devices on the cable coming in, etc, and said there were issues but he thought he sorted them out.  I've lost internet 3 times today, but one may have been me bumping the gateway when moving things around.  If it keeps up, maybe I'll switch out this gateway for another one."

Obviously this has nothing to do with your WiFi network name mystery.  

Valued Contributor

I hope your problems have been resolved. I just noticed that when I am in the modem utilities (10.0.0.1) that right above the downstream and upstream panels is a panel titled "Cabled Modem" and in that panel it lists my DPC3941T modem and then under it "Product Type" it says XB3. This isn't info I added but is what the system reads. Does your modem say XB3 or XB6? I'll bet it says XB6. Although that doesn't answer any of your important questions but if your SSID says XB3 it must be because someone manually named it that.

Expert

They stated this in their first post;

"I have the technicolor CGM4140COM wireless gateway."

That is an XB6..

Valued Contributor

I agree that is why in my first post reply to this thread I said it was the XB6. I was just curious if the box itself knew it was an XB6 and said so in the panel or if for some reason it thought it was an XB3 and that might be why it is labeled an XB3 in the SSID.