Community Forum

xFinity GIG - 280Mbps avg speed - What Next?

Regular Visitor

xFinity GIG - 280Mbps avg speed - What Next?

Comcast, 

I have been a Gig subscriber for a decent amount of time.  When the service was originally installed I would observe 900+Mbps speeds.  I have deployed to Kosovo and since then (about 8 months ago) my wife has told me that the internet has become "Slow".   I consistently avg less than 286 Mbps when utilizing both speedtest.xfinity.com and fast.com as well as speedtest.net

Current hardware:

1) Motorola MB8600 Modem

2) Linksys EA9500

I have not had a technician out to the site.

Troubleshooting:

I have replaced the Coax cable from wall to modem with 2 different new coax cables. 

I have replaced the ethernet from Modem to Router with 2 different new ethernet cables

I have rebooted my Modem as well as attempted a factory reset.  

I have connected my home PC directly to the Modem (bypass router) with 2 different ethernet cables

*NOTE*

Wether I use the EA9500 or go directly to the PC I get the same slow speeds.

*NOTE 2*
I do not have a cable subscrption. No splitters on the line. It goes from Pole ---> Wall Jack --> Modem.

There is always significant "Uncorrected" errors.  Attached are the Upstream and Downstream information and error logs.  These are 4 days after a modem reset.

Signal_Levels.jpgSignal LevelsError_logs.jpg

Expert

Re: xFinity GIG - 280Mbps avg speed - What Next?

The power levels are good, but you definitely have something going on there with all those FEC errors. I'm guessing you're going to need a tech to get that resolved. 

I've asked an employee to check the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. They can also check your local Node/Plant for any degradation or error reports. You can expect a reply in this thread. 

Tip: If you need service, sign up for the Service Protection Plan (SPP). It's around $6 a month and you must keep it for at least 60 days after your service call. If you have SPP, you won't incur a service charge. You can sign up when you schedule an appointment.

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Official Employee

Hi, xSeox - I can address your slow speed concern if you send me a private message with your full name, the account holder's name and address as it listed on the billing statement, a phone or an account number. Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Private Message Me.

Regular Visitor

PM sent as requested. Looking forward to getting this resolved.

Official Employee

@xSeox - Got your message and replied back. Please check your inbox. 

Regular Visitor

Thank you for coordinating the visit. Sent PM with new inforomation.  Issue is not resolved unfortunately. 

Regular Visitor

Okay so I got my Gig service hooked up for the first time in November. I had a million speed issues only 200-300 in speed. New modems the Arris SB8200 and them Netgear CM1000(Fastest Doscis 3.1 easy) and 16 Technicans later the problem was fix. They replaced the connector at the tap he said it was loose the part they cut themselves and the metal piece they twist on was loose. Internet speed went from 300 to 700 really quick. You just have to tell them. Also make them cut you in ER1 ticket.
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the info.

The service visit was 3 hours.  They tested using all my hardware.  Then retested using their own modem.  Ran a new line from the pole to my house. replaced the wall plate jack as well.  It got worse. 45Mbps - 120Mbps now.

They then told me the issue was with the frequencies that carry gig.  That they needed to escalate the ticket to the CMTS guys and they would work on the pole withing 48-72 hours.  No ticket number.  The tech just left his Name/Cell and said he would follow up with us next week.   

Sounds like i may need to call customer service and ask about that ER1 ticket.  Thanks again

Official Employee

Hello all,

There is no need to open any ERone tickets for your specific case, @xSeox. ERone tickets used for various reasons but it won't help with your particular issue. @Sidvisous, thank you for you help.