Community Forum

will cable modem work with any outlet.

Not applicable

will cable modem work with any outlet.

I have cable outlets in almost every room of the house. My router is in my master bedroom and I route cables to the adjacent room. Right now, I am using a wireless ap to get access to the hsi from living room, kitchen and family room. My question is if there is any way I can use the cable outlet to get hsi instead of pulling more cable etc. Can I plug another modem not that I have another modem to get hsi.
Not applicable

Re: will cable modem work with any outlet.

As far as I know your cable modem should work from any operational coax connection in your home. I've moved my modem a couple of times using different "jacks" and have not had any problems.
Most Valued Poster

> Can I plug another modem not that I have another modem to get hsi.

To have second modem provisioned, you would have to sign-up for another $40/mo account with Comcast.

Better to run a second WAP, if you're having problems reaching...

- Dan.
- Dan.
  EARTH FIRST! We'll strip-mine the other planets later.
New Poster

Sometimes, if there are many splits in the lines leading to a given outlet, the modem may go offline periodically because it's not getting enough signal. My advice is to go ahead and try it, and if you have trouble, either move the modem back to the old outlet or call Comcast so they can come out and rework the line leading to the new outlet (you may get charged for this).
Regular Contributor

Diplexers, spliters, multi switches, a/b switches, ect.. all increase signal loss. Always run quad shielded rg6 straight back to the main junction box, with no breaks inbetween .. with exception to one of those inline grounding conectors, always ground your coax.