Community Forum

wifi

New Poster

wifi

When I bring up my available Wi-Fi list, I see two separate xfinity Wi-Fi networks I can log onto.
One just has my SSID name on it. The other one has my SSID name followed by a .media

They both have the same password.

What is the difference between these two logons. Is the {SSID.media} logon a hotspot or is it something tailored for streaming media downloads or something like that. I called Comcast technical support and the guy told me they were really the same. however why are there two separate logons. I really wasn't satisfied with his answer as it didn't really tell me what the difference was between the two logons.

Ron

Silver Problem Solver

Re: wifi

FWIW.

I used a Belkin router for a while, if I recall correctly the default settings for the dual band wireless were for the 2.4 and 5GHz to be separate, with the 5GHz having .media on the end.

Comcast gateways usually come with the same SSID name for both.

Whatever device / s you are using, you can change the SSID names to suit.

Silver Problem Solver

@RonD69 wrote:

When I bring up my available Wi-Fi list, I see two separate xfinity Wi-Fi networks I can log onto.
One just has my SSID name on it. The other one has my SSID name followed by a .media

They both have the same password.

What is the difference between these two logons. Is the {SSID.media} logon a hotspot or is it something tailored for streaming media downloads or something like that. I called Comcast technical support and the guy told me they were really the same. however why are there two separate logons. I really wasn't satisfied with his answer as it didn't really tell me what the difference was between the two logons.

Ron

See if this helps:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Hi there, RonD69. I can help look into this with you. I bet we both can solve it! 

Can you please private message me your full name? Thank you for posting to our forums. 

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMartin" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!