Community Forum

which router can I use?

Frequent Visitor

which router can I use?

I am a Comcast internet, TV, and digital voice customer.  I want to set up a WIFI network in my home.  Do I need to use a router supplied by Comcast or can I use some other router? 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: which router can I use?

Hello,

You can use any router you like,

Silver Problem Solver

To obtain internet service that you can use on more than one device at a time (i.e. multiple computers, tablets, etc) you need a cable modem and a router, which will almost certainly be WiFi capable. Comcast will supply you a combo unit that serves both functions in one box, but they appear to have serious problems from a number of aspects. Your best bet is to ask Comcast for a cable modem (specify that you do not want a gateway device), then go buy your own router. For average internet use, Linksys, Netgear and D-Link make some reasonably priced models in the sub-$100 price range. There are other brands that are cheaper, but the old adage of 'you get what you pay for' seems to apply most of the time. If you want, you can buy your own modem too, as long as it is approved by Comcast, and save a $7/mo rental fee...

See comcast approved devices here:

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

thank you.  the information you provided is helpful.

Frequent Visitor

I find the link to a website for compatible modems useful, but the response did not answer the question regarding compatible ROUTERS. Please help, I am having the same problem.

The new modem Artist TM822 is a 1G modem that is not working well with my Linksys WRT160N. The hardwired PC is choking on the increased bandwidth, and the wireless connection frequently drops out.

Sincerely, Devan

Regular Contributor

You can use any router with your modem as long as it's not an ADSL (those are for people with DSL connectivity). 

What you want to think of when purchasing a router is:

How big is your house?

How many buildings are around you (if you're in an apartment complex) how many other wireless networks are going to be around you. 

Where is your modem located (should be in the center of the house) 

How many devices are you planning on connecting and what are you planning to do? (watching movies on Netflix, Hulu, VuDu, gaming, sharing files & media) 

Those questions are going to determine the router you should purchase. If you're looking to be the person that is going to watching Netflix, or watching HD shows or gaming you want a performance based router examples (Netgear: N600, N750, N900: Linksys: EA3500, EA4500, ASUS makes some nice routers as well)

I will offer this one as a note: The newer router that are advertising they are using the new AC connectivity which is supposed to be faster than N connectivity (and it is) are going to be useless to you unless you have a wireless card that is able to connect at that speed. Most devices these days will connect to an N network with ease. Also consider a router that uses or has dual band technology, this is going to give you more options for your wireless devices with less interference to them. 

Everything electrical in your house could potentially cause a problem with your wireless connections. Location is IMPORTANT! 

Frequent Visitor

GS, thanks for the response and explanation. Without actually saying so, you have indicated that my WRT160N is not preferred for the 1G bandwidth. I spoke to Linksys before my original post, and they were pushing the EA6500, which is an AC certified unit. It is good to know that the EA3500 or EA4200 will probably work for me.

I think I know why my desktop is choking on the increased bandwidth, not enough RAM. 2G is not enough. It was OK at 100K bandwidth.

Once again, thanks, timento go shopping...

Frequent Visitor

My router is on my floor, close to cable cord. Should I put it up higher for better reception?

Silver Problem Solver

Libertino85 wrote:

My router is on my floor, close to cable cord. Should I put it up higher for better reception?

It really depends on what floor in your home the router is. In general, it is better to have it higher of the ground,although the design of the internal antennae in newer routers may not make this so important anymore. If your router is on the second floor of your home, and it is on the floor, it may be in a good position to provide wifi signal to both the first and second floors. The best position for the router is really wherever it provides the best coverage for your home...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Your router should be located in a central part of the house, that is going to get the most use of the wireless range, the less obstructions there are to it, the better.

Putting your router in the furthest end of the house that you're going to be using it, you might as well get rid of it, because most of your wireless signal is going to be going outside, or to your neighbors. 

Expert

GeekSpeaker wrote:

You can use any router with your modem as long as it's not an ADSL (those are for people with DSL connectivity). 

FWIW, I don't know of any *standalone* routers that are specifically for ADSL. Standalone routers can be used for either. Standalone modems on the other hand are specifically designed for exclusive use with either service and they are not interchangeable. They do make combo modem / router gateway devices where the modem segment of the device will only work with the service that is was designed for (DSL or cable). These are also not interchangeable.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Bronze Problem Solver

EG wrote:

GeekSpeaker wrote:

FWIW, I don't know of any *standalone* routers that are specifically for ADSL. Standalone routers can be used for either. Standalone modems on the other hand are specifically designed for exclusive use with either service and they are not interchangeable. They do make combo modem / router gateway devices where the modem segment of the device will only work with the service that is was designed for (DSL or cable). These are also not interchangeable.

Yep... 2-wire... I have one..

TANSTAAFL!!

Expert

O/k then I stand corrected CT.

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Regular Contributor

EG: There are several routers that are ADSL only: 2Wire, Linksys. Netgear, DLink, Trendnet, SMC all make routers that are DSL only. 

N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
DGND3700
  • For DSL, cable or fiber Internet service
  • Simultaneous Dual Band avoids interference
  • ReadySHARE® USB and DLNA® compatible media server
  • Access USB printer wirelessly

Expert

Nine month old thread now closed.