Community Forum

what do I need?

New Poster

what do I need?

I have a single ethernet outlet on my modem. how can I turn it into 2 for computer and tv?

I have no knowledge about gateways and routers.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: what do I need?

Use a switch or a wireless router, both have multiple ports to use

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

@glitches3 wrote:

I have a single ethernet outlet on my modem. how can I turn it into 2 for computer and tv?

I have no knowledge about gateways and routers.

I use this for all my ethernet connections to my XB6:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QUA6RA/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@CCAndrew wrote:
Use a switch or a wireless router, both have multiple ports to use

@glitches3  You can't use an ethernet switch hung off of a straight cable modem (sounds like that's what you have) without having an additional Public / WAN IP address assigned from Comcast (if it's even available anymore). What is the exact make and model number of the modem ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thx for the replies. I decided to just buy a new modem with 4 ethernet ports. Pays for it`s self in a year.

Expert

If it has 4 ports then it sounds like it is a combo modem / router gateway device, not just a "modem" (the term you used). The terms are not interchangeable FWIW, but everybody does it anyway.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!