Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

vpn service blocking is out of hand

New Poster

vpn service blocking is out of hand

I'm on residential service and comcast now appears to be blocking various vpn service providers by what appears to be a time-bound service disconnection, in addition to injecting service notices into browsing sessions of their customers.

I can replicate this VPN issue at will with one VPN provider in particular.  

Doesn't matter what I'm doing with it, even just browsing the web or running a speedtest, within a couple of minutes of connecting my internet service is interrupted for approximately 10 - 15 minutes.

This is why we need net neutrality laws.

Expert

Re: vpn service blocking is out of hand

What evidence do you have that Comcast is blocking your VPN?

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.
New Poster

I connect using vpn and all internet service is disconnected for between 10 and 15 minutes at the gateway. Comcast controls the service, happens with 3 different cable modems.

Only happens with vpn. Easily replicated. Predictable. Service interruption can be seen in gateway logs.
Expert

Can you explain more what you mean by "all internet service is disconnected"? Are you saying you drop the connection or that the modems are resetting?

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.
New Poster

I have multiple devices configured to multiple networks - one network is a VPN for work related issues.  The other network is for general usage.  I have Xfinity for home and use my own modems (one for phone and one for Internet) and routers.  My routers, cables and other equipment are rated for speeds up to a gig.  So, this is why I agree that Comcast is blocking VPN content.  On my general use network, I can browse pretty much anything on the internet.  With my VPN (which since their update has disabled the wireless setting on my router) I can no longer connect to the internet.  It is not a router issue because by doing a reset on the router, I can reconnect using the VPN - however, I have to reboot it every couple of days due to "connectivity" issues.  The other issue that I have is that whenever I try to install my hardware based firewall - CUJO, my entire network is down for the count. It worked fine for a couple of weeks, then stopped working - did a reset on it again, worked for a few hours, then stopped working - figured out that during the same time period, Comcast did a reset - as all of my devices - cable tv, internet and phone were affected.  The other thing that Comcast does is block CBS All Access and Direct TV Now on desktops/laptops. It works ok so far on the Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV - I cannot wait until my contract is up as I am going to cut the cable cord, use just cell phones and internet.