Community Forum

very slow internet at night!!

Regular Visitor

very slow internet at night!!

I have the 50 Mbps service at my home. For the last few days, my internet speeds in the evening are terrible. Between the hours of 7 pm and midnight my speed drops tremendously to the point my sons can't play any online games.  We can't even get any web pages to load.  We had a tecnician out to the house yesterday and they replaced the line from the pole to the house but that did no good.  I live in the Anderson, IN area.  Anyone else in this area experiencing the same thing?? Now during the day our service is fine. But like I said the hours above it goes to the toilet.

New Poster

Re: very slow internet at night!!

In Richmond having the same issue.  Came here looking for an answer.  Just installed their new wireless gateway and wondered if it was the issue.

New Poster

The problem is just heavy internet traffic and comcast can't handle it.

Frequent Visitor

Ditto here in Peoria IL. Been happening every evening for the past several days.

New Poster

Same here slow at night but in the morning during low usage times its fine.  I feel this is a rip off.  

Gold Problem Solver

ervinschrader wrote:

The problem is just heavy internet traffic and comcast can't handle it.

Partly true.... it would depened on the amount of traffic that bottlenecks in your NODE....  COmcast can remedy this but you need to get a TECH onsite to see what you are seeing....

Good Luck!
-=Ray=- 

Diamond Problem Solver

It could be that the downstream port on the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the headend facility that serves your cable segment needs some decombining.

New Poster

Also in Anderson and having the same issues.  I have the 105/20 service, and just called them tonight.  They said my upload signal was "red", although my tx power is 45dBmV so that seems odd.  I did connect my modem straight to the drop from the pole, and my upload power dropped to about 40, which seemed to clear up my upload speeds.  However doing that upped my downstream power to 11 dBmV, which caused it's own issues. 

I also have the X1 box, and remote commands will be delayed anywhere from 20 seconds to several minutes while this happens.  Before getting X1 I didn't have any of these problems, but that could just be timing with something going weird in the area.

Official Employee

If you have the issue, check your RF signal levels at the time you have the issues. See steps at http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/td-p/12...

Also, make sure you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. If not and you own one, buy a new one (http://mynewmodem.comcast.net/) and if you lease one go to this page to order one: http://www.comcast.com/deviceupgrade

JL
Internet Services
New Poster

I checked my RF levels during the day today, when I had full 100mbps speed, and again now that I'm getting around .5mbps.

The downstream levels haven't changed at all, the upstream power is maybe about half a dBmV higher now than it was during the day.  There is one splitter between my cable modem and the pole, which splits the signal off for the TV's in the house.  If I take that signal out and just connect the cables together straight, the downstream power goes up 3.5dBmV, the upstream power drops 3.5dBmV, and all my connection issues go away.  However I can't get TV that way, obviously.  I did try two different splitters (one also provided by Comcast, and one new one), they both give me the same signal levels, and the same connection issues.

For reference, my power levels are:

Downstream Bonded Channels Channel Modulation Frequency Power SNR Correctables Uncorrectables
1 QAM256 537000000 Hz 6.6 dBmV 41.4 dB 0 0
2 QAM256 543000000 Hz 6.9 dBmV 41.9 dB 0 0
3 QAM256 549000000 Hz 7.5 dBmV 41.4 dB 0 0
4 QAM256 555000000 Hz 7.4 dBmV 41.9 dB 0 0
5 QAM256 561000000 Hz 7.3 dBmV 41.5 dB 0 0
6 QAM256 567000000 Hz 7.2 dBmV 41.4 dB 0 0
7 QAM256 573000000 Hz 7.3 dBmV 41.4 dB 0 0
8 QAM256 579000000 Hz 7.0 dBmV 40.8 dB 0 0

Upstream Bonded Channels Channel US Channel Type Symbol Rate Frequency Power
1 ATDMA 5120 Ksym/sec 34800000 Hz 44.5 dBmV
2 ATDMA 5120 Ksym/sec 27900000 Hz 44.5 dBmV
3 TDMA 2560 Ksym/sec 22600000 Hz 43.5 dBmV
4 Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
Diamond Problem Solver

Capacity / congestion problem ???

New Poster

Had a tech out today to look at the lines.  The culprit appears to be the line between the pole and the house.  It was old, and had some squirrel chewing on it.  Tech replaced it today, and I actually got around 125mbps to the speedtest.comcast.net page. 

During the evening, when I wasn't keeping connection at all, I now have around 60.  So, Blizzard105, call tech support, they will send someone out, and fix the issue.  Since it was an external issue, not my wiring or equipment, it won't cost me anything either.

New Poster

I have performance level internet but don't know what speed to expect since Comcast is very secretive about it.  Comcast speed check shows 30 mbps down and 6 mbps up but don't know if that is good or not for what I pay.

New Poster

I tried all of the suggestions posted by jivingood on 12-05-2014 and everything he suggested, I have tried and it's all checked out.  Still super slow speeds compared to daytime speeds.  Anyother suggestions anyone? It's hard to work from home when you can't get a good connection.

Thanks

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved: