Community Forum

unable to connect Xbox 360 to new Technicolor modem via wireless

Regular Visitor

unable to connect Xbox 360 to new Technicolor modem via wireless

Last week i had a bad storm come through and my old modem got zapped... the tech came out while i was at work (wife was home) was told what happened, took one look at the modem, and said yep, you need a new one. ENTER the new Technicolor modem: CGM4140COM The tech set up the new modem with the same network ID's and passwords as the last modem had in both the 2.4 and 5.0 bands. the previous modem had 4 ethernet ports (1 for TV, 1 for FireTV box, 1 for Xbox1) and i had multiple devices hooked up wirelessly (Xbox 360, 3 phones, 2 laptops, and 1 tablet) the TV, and amazon box tested fine, as well as the laptops, and phones (tech didn't stay long to do any additional work, and did not leave any sort of user manual or paperwork with the modem. That night, and last night, i tried multiple times to even connect to the wireless in home on the Xbox360 and failed every time. i have confirmed the password multiple times on other devices, the system can see a full signal on the 2.4 band. i have gone into network settings on the xbox and removed the wireless signal from memory, and re-entered the password. the system tries to connect and fails the first step in testing connection. my next step is to try and set up the system with a static IP, and play with some of the settings on the modem, but kind of flying blind here as it is hard to find material on the modem. most issues seem to be from a different model modem. any help would be appreciated
Regular Visitor

Re: unable to connect Xbox 360 to new Technicolor modem via wireless

UPDATE - so last night i tried setting up a static IP on the 360, manually input all the server information, created a DMZ on the Xfi app for the IP address, and was still unable to connect to wireless. I was able to successfully connect the Xbox-One on wireless without any issues, however the One is connected to the 5.0 Gh channel, and the 360 doesn't see that one. at this point i'm not sure what to do... it will just flat out not connect to the wireless signal at all, the modem doesn't even see it to try and set up port forwarding. and with everything else working without issues i am starting to wonder if there is something wrong with the xbox, but it has been working fine up until the new modem was installed, and otherwise is still working great as a system. i feel like there is still something i am missing that should be obvious.
Expert

Try this: Log into your device and change the name of one of the networks. Doesn't matter if it's the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz network. Then connect your 360 to the 2.4GHz network. :smileycool:

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Expert

How far away is the XBox 360 from the gateway? If it's not seeing the 5GHz signal at all, it's probably too weak to reach the 360. Also, if you disabled UPnP on the gateway, try turning it on. 

I'm thinking of a few solutions at this point - 

• DIsconnect all devices that connect to the gateway, then try connecting the XBox 360 again.
  • Move the XBox 360 closer to the gateway and see if it connects wirelessly using either the 2.4 Ghz or the 5Ghz band.
  • Try and connect the 360 to the gateway using Ethernet to eliminate any possible networking issues on the console.
  • Reset the 360 to factory settings (just make sure you backed up all your data first)
  • Reset the gateway 

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.
Expert

@darkangelic wrote:

How far away is the XBox 360 from the gateway? If it's not seeing the 5GHz signal at all, it's probably too weak to reach the 360.

The 360 doesn't support 5Ghz by default, that's why I was thinking it was more of a configuration issue rather than a range issue. Unless OP is nuts and spent like $70 for a proprietary adapter. Smiley Wink 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Expert

@Nerdburg wrote:

@darkangelic wrote:

How far away is the XBox 360 from the gateway? If it's not seeing the 5GHz signal at all, it's probably too weak to reach the 360.

The 360 doesn't support 5Ghz by default, that's why I was thinking it was more of a configuration issue rather than a range issue. Unless OP is nuts and spent like $70 for a proprietary adapter. Smiley Wink 

Well, if you had a pre-Slim XBox 360, you could either spend $200-$400 for a new console (assuming you didn't need to after another RRoD), or $69 for a Microsoft wireless adapter or even less for a generic one Cat LOL

Also, I just remembered that the XBox 360 wireless settings can be reset without having to wipe the whole console. 

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.